s/w for ocr to pdf

Old November 7th 07, 07:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Peter[_4_]

Default s/w for ocr to pdf

Most ocr s/w I see transfers the text to a document. Is there program
that will retain the formatting and graphics of the document and place
ocr in a hidden part of the document. This way I can scan to pdf and
it would look like the original document except I'd also have the open
of search for keywords that would show up in the ocr part. My main
problem is performing ocr on handwritten text and I'd prefer the ocr
just perform on the type written text that it can easily read.

Thanks,
Pete

Old November 7th 07, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Most ocr s/w I see transfers the text to a document. Is there program
that will retain the formatting and graphics of the document and place
ocr in a hidden part of the document. This way I can scan to pdf and
it would look like the original document except I'd also have the open
of search for keywords that would show up in the ocr part. My main
problem is performing ocr on handwritten text and I'd prefer the ocr
just perform on the type written text that it can easily read.

Thanks,
Pete

The bundled OCR software that is included with some scanners is limited in
capabilities.

If you use really good OCR software, you can scan a document, convert to
editable text and retain the original formatting and graphics. Especially if
you save to PDF with image substitutes.

OmniPage Pro 15 and above will do this. (I own OmniPage Pro 15)
I have never used Abbyy Finereader OCR, but it claims to retain the
formatting and graphics also.

FineReader Abbyy.
http://finereader.abbyy.com/

Omnipage Pro OCR.