Why is this HDD so small?

Old March 13th 21, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ken Blake[_4_]

Default Why is this HDD so small?

On 3/13/2021 1:26 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No offense, but why even consider stuff from weird merchants which
peddle their stuff via Amazon!?

Don't you have *reputable* webshops in the US?

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them--probably somewhere around 100 a year--and I've never
had a problem, except once when a product I expected to receive never
arrived. Amazon not only refunded what I had paid, but also gave me a
credit ($10, If I remember correctly).

--
Ken
Old March 13th 21, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Rene Lamontagne

On 2021-03-13 3:01 p.m., Ken Blake wrote:
On 3/13/2021 1:26 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
micky wrote:
Why is this so small?
Alternatively, why aren't they all so small? Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Less than
4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".
Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter?Â*Â* It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.
https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name?Â* Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

Â*Â* No offense, but why even consider stuff from weird merchants which
peddle their stuff via Amazon!?

Â*Â* Don't you have *reputable* webshops in the US?

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them--probably somewhere around 100 a year--and I've never
had a problem, except once when a product I expected to receive never
arrived. Amazon not only refunded what I had paid, but also gave me a
credit ($10, If I remember correctly).

Yes, Amazon itself is very reliable, I too place many orders per year
and have no problems. what you have to watch for are the crappy shyster
vendors and their stupidly outages prices.
Yesterday my son went to Safeway and got me nine packages of flieshmans
fast rising yeast, 9 pack cost $6.87 cdn, just for kicks I went on
Amazon.ca, the same 9 packs sold for $15.25. Buyer Beware!

Rene

Old March 13th 21, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

Frank Slootweg wrote:
micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No offense, but why even consider stuff from weird merchants which
peddle their stuff via Amazon!?

Don't you have *reputable* webshops in the US?

Have you even seen the 'name' of the merchant?

'qingyuanshiyongxinxiecaibaozhuangyouxiangongsi'? Give me a break!
(At least that's what it says when using your URL from The Netherlands.)

It doesn't matter how 'cheap' it is, I would never trust my data to
fishy no-name stuff like that, especially not from a fishy merchant.

Unbelievable.

Google Translate could do that one.

"Qingyuan Intentions Xie Cai Packing Co., Ltd."

The first word may have been intended to be "Clear"
as in "Clear Intentions". Just fiddling with the
translate box a bit.

Paul
Old March 14th 21, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 13 Mar 2021 17:57:51 -0500, Wolf K

micky wrote:
[...]

Amazon relies on "It's Amazon, so it must be OK" factor. My take is the
precise opposite. If it's Amazon, it's probably not OK. For one thing,
Amazon takes a hefty slice of that vendor's prices. I prefer to deal
with vendors directly, not through Amazon. They are not alone. Even Best
Buy is a problem, most of their bargains are from 3rd party vendors.
Even Staples now offers goods "shipped directly from the merchant".

I prefer supporting a local brick'n'mortar shop if possible. They pay
taxes locally. Amazon doesn't. It's a free-loader. Example: The town

The law in the US is that if a merchant has a physical presence in a
state, they have to collect sales tax and send the money to the state
where the customer is. For years Amazon had few locations, I'm
guessing 3 or 4 warehouses, but 5 or so years ago I guess because they
had launched their speedy deliver plan, they built warehouses in maybe
47 of the 50 states. (including a big one in Baltimore where part of
Bethlehem Steel was, and a big one near NorthEast Md that stocks a
different category of things.) So they do collect sales tax.

(What I don't understand is when they say "Only 2 left" but they still
deliver in about the same length of time. Are they counting only things
in warehouses near me, or do they only have 2 in the entire country? If
the latter, there must be an awful lot of shipping back and forth and
hither and yon and to and fro.

needs cash to pay for snow plowing. Amazon depends on that service so

And they pay property tax, and their mostly low-paid workers pay taxes.

the delivery trucks can get to the customers. But Amazon don't pay a
cent towards the cost of that service.

Best,

But I do prefer to buy things locally. If I were not old and fat and
worried about Corona, I wouldn't rely on mail order (and grocery
delivery) so much, and I hope to go back to normal within a year.
Old March 14th 21, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Carlos E.R.

On 2021-03-13 16:24, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Amazon relies on "It's Amazon, so it must be OK" factor. My take is the
precise opposite. If it's Amazon, it's probably not OK. For one thing,
Amazon takes a hefty slice of that vendor's prices. I prefer to deal
with vendors directly, not through Amazon. They are not alone. Even Best
Buy is a problem, most of their bargains are from 3rd party vendors.
Even Staples now offers goods "shipped directly from the merchant".

I prefer supporting a local brick'n'mortar shop if possible. They pay
taxes locally. Amazon doesn't. It's a free-loader. Example: The town
needs cash to pay for snow plowing. Amazon depends on that service so
the delivery trucks can get to the customers. But Amazon don't pay a
cent towards the cost of that service.

I prefer to buy locally if I find what I need. But Amazon allows me to
search for things relatively easily in places that maybe be far from me,
with a common interface, and usually reliably with some exceptions.

It may be that the same product can be found, cheaper, on the web of
some vendor, BUT! Webs that I do not know if I can trust.

(My first purchase on the web was a fraud of about 1200€.
Two laptops for the company I was working for. Year 1999 or so)

Or maybe not cheaper, because mail and packaging has a cost, and with
Amazon Prime most things are covered.

I have been able to find, for example, spare pieces for my old vacuum
cleaner sent from several frontiers away from me. No way I would have
found and bought that on my own. Some shop on Europe has those spares I
needed.

Sometimes I search for something in Amazon, and when I find it I may
also then know who has the same thing locally and I can buy it. Some
times cheaper, sometimes the same price, some times more expensive.

So, it varies.

In the case of the OP, seeing the reports, I would not buy.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old March 14th 21, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:

But I do prefer to buy things locally. If I were not old and fat and
worried about Corona, I wouldn't rely on mail order (and grocery
delivery) so much, and I hope to go back to normal within a year.

I think you would enjoy the experience. Take my store.

1) Wash hands at entrance. Portable fountain with foot pump
to make water flow. Rather than alcohol dispenser like a Walmart,
it's some sort of foam soap stuff. Maybe the owner makes it
in a big washtub in his basement.

2) Escorted by your very own assistant. Now allowed
to wander around store. This also means the head count inside
the store, is very strictly limited.

3) Not allowed to finger items. Point to item,
assistant collects it for you. This is how I ended up with my
weird new keyboard for the Test Machine, all I could do was
point at it, then get it home and discover what I'd got.

4) The pair of you walk to the front and pay.

This means it's best if you work from a home-prepared
list, before you "shop". "shop" being the comedic word
for this Brinks Security notion of shopping.

It's still convenient, because if you need an SSD at 9AM,
you can get one.

But in terms of web listing, versus store stock, not
many items are fully stocked. You can expect to find
hard drives in stock. There are racks behind the counter
with those. If you need an 18TB WDC Gold for $500, they'll
have exactly one.

You would expect video cards and AMD Ryzen processors, to be
a big fat zero. But web cams have come back. There's a few
Logitech in stock. There will always be Intel processors, because
they spend their days creating new SKUs with the word "... Lake"
in the name. "Apology Lake".

Paul
Old March 14th 21, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
David W. Hodgins

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 17:39:34 -0500, Paul wrote:
Unbelievable.

Google Translate could do that one.

"Qingyuan Intentions Xie Cai Packing Co., Ltd."

The first word may have been intended to be "Clear"
as in "Clear Intentions". Just fiddling with the
translate box a bit.

Might be intentional. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qingyuan

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change to for
email replies.
Old March 14th 21, 12:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Frank Slootweg

micky wrote:
[...]

You don't buy things *from* them (at least not in cases like this),
but *through* them. The only thing you get is *financial* 'security',
*if* you spot in time that the advertized item is indeed a lemon.

But the point - which you've snipped - is, (very) weird merchant,
which peddles a mislabeled/misadvertized, no-name device which you're
supposed to trust your data to.

FWIW, we (NL) also have Amazon-like companies (they pre-date Amazon in
Europe) and Amazon is ramping up here. I only use (the merchants which
sell through) such companies if there's no reasonable alternative and
the lemon-risk is not important. (And I think a lot would have to change
before I would consider buying through or from Amazon.)
Old March 14th 21, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on 14 Mar 2021 11:27:44 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them--probably somewhere around 100 a year--and I've never
had a problem, except once when a product I expected to receive never
arrived. Amazon not only refunded what I had paid, but also gave me a
credit ($10, If I remember correctly).

You don't buy things *from* them (at least not in cases like this),
but *through* them. The only thing you get is *financial* 'security',
*if* you spot in time that the advertized item is indeed a lemon.

But the point - which you've snipped - is, (very) weird merchant,
which peddles a mislabeled/misadvertized, no-name device which you're
supposed to trust your data to.

FWIW, we (NL) also have Amazon-like companies (they pre-date Amazon in
Europe) and Amazon is ramping up here. I only use (the merchants which

So you might know...

How much do you think Amazon copied, or could have copied, from the
European Amazon-like companies?

And how much was innovation by Amazon?

For example:
A picture of the item.
Multiple pictures, often from all angles, of the item,
Detailed description, far more than what Walmart usually has, just the
name of the item and 7 or 8 words that describe it.
Ratings by buyers that they post even when they are negative.
Ratings by others also.
Verified buyers labeled (I think this started later, or maybe I just
noticed it later.)
Questions by prospective buyers with posted answers by the vendor?
And answers by other customers?

Old March 14th 21, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mark Lloyd[_6_]

On 3/13/21 3:01 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

[snip]

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them--probably somewhere around 100 a year--and I've never
had a problem, except once when a product I expected to receive never
arrived. Amazon not only refunded what I had paid, but also gave me a
credit ($10, If I remember correctly).

I have occasionally has problems with Amazon orders (such as a router
that arrived dead), put always got good customer service.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Time that I enjoy wasting is not wasted time" -- T.S.Eliot