Wes- some help again

Old February 5th 05, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Gordon Abbot

Default Wes- some help again

Wes,

You were kind to help me with the question below. After that, events
happened that had me postpone the cpu upgrade.
I would like to purchase a new cpu but a bit confused when I go to
priceline as to which cpu is compatible. What is the specific
nomenclature I should look for?

Thanks,

GA

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:30:09 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:

I checked the Athlon website and it says I can only go to 1.4mhz max
with the Biostar M7MIA 1.x board (Award BIOS). I currently have 1.2mhz
AMD 761 rev 2 chipset.

Is that true or can I use a higher rated cpu?

No, yes.

If so, which ones are compatible?

All of them.

If not, can I overclock -how and how high?

Multiplier x FSb = cpu speed.

I would like to get the max mhz possible since I will be doing a lot of
video editing and capture.

The AMD 761 supports a 133MHz FSB. 24x133.34 = 3200MHz. That's the top
speed you can get without overclocking the FSB. There are currently no AND
Athlon cpu's that run over 2250MHz (unless overclocked). See link below.
I'd probably suggest a 2400+ for your board.

-- Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
Old February 6th 05, 12:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 08:51:15 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:

You were kind to help me with the question below. After that, events
happened that had me postpone the cpu upgrade. I would like to purchase a
new cpu but a bit confused when I go to priceline as to which cpu is
compatible. What is the specific nomenclature I should look for?

AXDA2400DKV3C. Athlon XP 2400+/266

http://www.pcprogress.com/product.as...MDXP2400%2BOEM

or

AXDA2600DKV3C. Athlon XP 2600+/266