Soundbalster Live! Value detected

Old February 19th 04, 04:09 PM
James

Default Soundbalster Live! Value detected

I just recently bought a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 from Hong Kong, and I
installed it. I installed it from the CD inityially, and that didnt
seem to have any effect, so after restarting I installed the driver
using the windows Hardware detection dialog. However, Windows detected
it to be Soundblaster Live! Value instead of Soundblaster Live! 5.1 .

I was wondering if that was normal or have I been ripped off?
Is there any difference, and if so how can I tell?

Im currently using the Soundblaster Live! value driver on it and seems
to work.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Old February 19th 04, 05:23 PM
Jim

I just recently bought a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 from Hong Kong, and I
installed it. I installed it from the CD inityially, and that didnt
seem to have any effect, so after restarting I installed the driver
using the windows Hardware detection dialog. However, Windows detected
it to be Soundblaster Live! Value instead of Soundblaster Live! 5.1 .

I was wondering if that was normal or have I been ripped off?
Is there any difference, and if so how can I tell?

There really is no difference between any of the Soundblaster Live cards,
except that on the Value and lower priced ones, they just don't solder on
any of the digital in/out connectors, and put more connectors on the
higher priced ones, but they are ALL capable of the same digital in/outs
and such. Add the cheap physical connectors yourself, or solder directly
to them.

I always get the Value card, and just connect to the digital in myself,
there is a labeled two pin connector on the board itself which you can
connect one of those connectors you can cut off of a speaker in an old
computer that will fit. Else, just solder directly to the pins right
where it says digital input.

Why spend more money just for the extra connector when all the boards are
exactly the same?

Sure your computer is not going to be able to tell the difference, because
there is no difference, the computer can't tell how many physical
connectors were put on it, it just sees the one and only circuit board
that they make.

Many companies do this, where it is cheaper to just manufacture one
circuit board and use it in the various priced models they sell. Radar
detectors, I have bought the $50 version and added the few leds they never
soldered in to it and quickly made the $99 version. Adding a few more
parts made it the $200 version.

Caller ID boxes made by Cidco - you could buy the 10 number memory one
and just change one solder jumper inside and all of a sudden you have a 99
number memory caller ID box!

Always buy the cheapest model.

Old February 20th 04, 12:49 PM
Geronimo_work

James wrote:
I just recently bought a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 from Hong Kong, and I
installed it. I installed it from the CD inityially, and that didnt
seem to have any effect, so after restarting I installed the driver
using the windows Hardware detection dialog. However, Windows detected
it to be Soundblaster Live! Value instead of Soundblaster Live! 5.1 .

I was wondering if that was normal or have I been ripped off?
Is there any difference, and if so how can I tell?

Im currently using the Soundblaster Live! value driver on it and seems
to work.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

the diference is if i'm not mistaken that sb live value doesn't have analog
5.1 connection. only 4 or 4.1. bye.

Old February 20th 04, 06:53 PM
Jootie

I just recently bought a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 from Hong Kong, and I
installed it. I installed it from the CD inityially, and that didnt
seem to have any effect, so after restarting I installed the driver
using the windows Hardware detection dialog. However, Windows detected
it to be Soundblaster Live! Value instead of Soundblaster Live! 5.1 .

I was wondering if that was normal or have I been ripped off?
Is there any difference, and if so how can I tell?

Im currently using the Soundblaster Live! value driver on it and seems
to work.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

the diference is if i'm not mistaken that sb live value doesn't have analog
5.1 connection. only 4 or 4.1. bye.

So then just solder on the connectors yourself for 50 cents. All the boards
are the same.

Old February 24th 04, 11:46 AM
Geronimo_work

Jootie wrote:
I just recently bought a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 from Hong Kong, and
I installed it. I installed it from the CD inityially, and that
didnt seem to have any effect, so after restarting I installed the
driver using the windows Hardware detection dialog. However,
Windows detected it to be Soundblaster Live! Value instead of
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 .

I was wondering if that was normal or have I been ripped off?
Is there any difference, and if so how can I tell?

Im currently using the Soundblaster Live! value driver on it and
seems to work.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

the diference is if i'm not mistaken that sb live value doesn't have
analog
5.1 connection. only 4 or 4.1. bye.

So then just solder on the connectors yourself for 50 cents. All
the boards are the same.

please explain I didn't fully understand because if it can me modified to
output 5.1 throu analog I don't need to spend for a new one. thanks.

Old February 24th 04, 05:13 PM
Nanaglyph

the diference is if i'm not mistaken that sb live value doesn't have
analog
5.1 connection. only 4 or 4.1. bye.

So then just solder on the connectors yourself for 50 cents. All
the boards are the same.

please explain I didn't fully understand because if it can me modified to
output 5.1 throu analog I don't need to spend for a new one. thanks.

Just look at the card, it is usually labeled quite clearly where all the
outputs are, if not, usually a file is included with the one you bought that
has pin locations in the manual or some file that explain where all the
outputs can be found. Or an online google search can show you the dozens of
websites that explain all this to no end.

I needed a digital SPIDIF input, but the lowest price SB LIVE card didn't
have one. Realizing all the cards are going to be the same, I looked at the
card closely, and lo and behold, on the card itself was printed "digital in"
right next to 2 pins. I used an old internal speaker connector from an old
computer and it fit on the pins just nicely, then I connected a line to the
digital output of my studio and now I can record into my computer digitally
saving myself thousands of dollars for a pro board, and get the exact same
quality.

Hopefully, there is enough info here for you to figure out your board if you
are technically inclined. If you are not, then I guess you will have to buy
the more expensive board. Perhaps you can find one being sold on Ebay for
much less.

Old February 24th 04, 07:58 PM
Geronimo

Nanaglyph wrote:
[...]

regarding eBay unfortantly I live in Croatia so I'm pritty fu**ed. and
regarding the rest i'm confused. I have SB Live Player 1024. it has digital
out that I'm using to connect to my yamaha reciever but in games i cant use
digital out because it outputs only stereo channels so i must use analog
outputs from my card but here is where the problem lies. the card has only
rear and front speakers output and maybe sub throu the digital out (i'm not
shure about this one i must chech that out). if i understand correctly the
live 5.1 for example has double function for "digital out" connector. it is
digital ouotput and sub/center output when used analog connection. now what
i'm curious is, is it possible to enable somehow analog outputs for sub and
center on my sb live player 1024 or not (without using some other sound
cards and stuff like that. soldering is ok, i can do that). thanks.

Old February 25th 04, 10:51 PM
Nanaglyph

regarding the rest i'm confused. I have SB Live Player 1024. it has digital
out that I'm using to connect to my yamaha reciever but in games i cant use
digital out because it outputs only stereo channels so i must use analog
outputs from my card but here is where the problem lies.

First of all, you really don't need more than two channels for anything,
especially a video game. You already are getting one more channel than you
need, be happy.

the card has only
rear and front speakers output and maybe sub throu the digital out (i'm not
shure about this one i must chech that out). if i understand correctly the
live 5.1 for example has double function for "digital out" connector. it is
digital ouotput and sub/center output when used analog connection.

This is such overkill. You only have two ears. Imagine what a 5.1 set of
headphones would look like, it would still only have two ear cups.

There are people being murdered in Iraq by an evil US dictator that don't even
have mono video game enjoyment right now. You have stereo video games.
Be happy with what you have.

Old February 26th 04, 07:45 AM
Geronimo_work

Nanaglyph wrote:
[...]

you are joking right. i have reciever and 5.1 speakers. affcourse i want to
have a 5.1 sound. regarding iraq, bush is an asshole but i just don't give a
**** any more. the people of USA elected him so now they have him. here in
croatia we also had war few years ago. why did't you talk like that then. if
americans wanted they coulde stop war here in croatia in a month. but wait,
there is no oil here in croatia! bye

Old February 29th 04, 06:53 AM
Truth

you are joking right. i have reciever and 5.1 speakers. affcourse i want to
have a 5.1 sound.

So if they made 25.1 receivers you would want that too? You only have TWO
ears! All you need are TWO channels with TWO speakers.

What next? Glasses with 5.1 lenses?

regarding iraq, bush is an asshole but i just don't give a
**** any more.

You better! Eventually your country will be on his list and you will be killed
if he is not stopped!

the people of USA elected him

No they didn't! Gore got over a half a million more of the people's votes
than Bush did! It was the US GOVERNMENT that elected Bush, not the American
people. Perhaps you did not see or hear about the millions of American people
who have been protesting Bush and his illegal war in the US. We don't want
that evil dictator, but there is not much we can do about it because we are not
allowed to own guns or weapons, like Saddam let his citizens own, so we are
defenseless to do anything.

in croatia we also had war few years ago. why did't you talk like that then.
if
americans wanted they coulde stop war here in croatia in a month.

The Americans have no right to meddle in any other country and tell them how
things are to be. You didn't vote for Bush either, so you shouldn't have to
live under his rules either. Neither should Americans.

but wait,
there is no oil here in croatia!

No, but if Bush bombs your country, Halliburton will get lots of contact work
reconstructing your country at the American taxpayers expense.

That's how it works. The only reason Bush wants to go to Mars, is because
Halliburton has a contract with NASA to build drilling machines to search for
water on the planet.

Halliburton is the ruler of the entire universe.