ATI 8500DV and DVI output

Old December 22nd 03, 04:19 AM
Adrian Nguyen

Default ATI 8500DV and DVI output

Hey folks!

I have a sony KV-32HS500 hdtv that is basically a crt type that has DVI
input. I am using it as a display for my computer which has an ATI 8500DV
video card with DVI output. When i connect the dvi output of the video card
to the dvi input of the hdtv, the picure looks great, but i am limited to a
resolution of only 640x480 which is practically useless. I've tried
powerstrip which does not seem to help. I've also used the DVI-HDTV
component video dongle without much success. Any suggestions? Thanks in
advance!

adrian

Old December 22nd 03, 06:42 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:19:28 GMT
"Adrian Nguyen" wrote:

Hey folks!

I have a sony KV-32HS500 hdtv that is basically a crt type that has
DVI input. I am using it as a display for my computer which has an ATI
8500DV video card with DVI output. When i connect the dvi output of
the video card to the dvi input of the hdtv, the picure looks great,
but i am limited to a resolution of only 640x480 which is practically
useless. I've tried powerstrip which does not seem to help. I've also
used the DVI-HDTV component video dongle without much success. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance!

First thing is to check the Sony docs to see what resolutions are
supported via DVI. Then you need to set the ATI board to one of those
using Powerstrip.

adrian

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 24th 03, 04:04 AM
Adrian Nguyen

John,
thanks for the advice. The Sony docs do not give a DVI resolution. In fact,
it flatly states that the DVI input was not meant for computer usage. I've
already used Powerstrip extensively. Still can't figure out how to get it to
work with my setup. Any further advice? thanks...

adrian

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
d...

Old December 24th 03, 05:11 AM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:04:31 GMT
"Adrian Nguyen" wrote:

John,
thanks for the advice. The Sony docs do not give a DVI resolution. In
fact, it flatly states that the DVI input was not meant for computer
usage. I've already used Powerstrip extensively. Still can't figure
out how to get it to work with my setup. Any further advice? thanks...

Not really--sorry. You might want to ask this question over on the HTPC
forum in http://www.avsforums.com but search there first--it may
already have been answered.

adrian

"J.Clarke" wrote in message