K7S5A v3.1 + Ati 128 Ultra 32m = problem

Old December 20th 03, 05:35 PM
LH

Default K7S5A v3.1 + Ati 128 Ultra 32m = problem

Ive got a problem with my ("new") Ati video card. It doesnt work with my
motherboard. When I turn my PC on nothing happens, there is no signal to my
monitor (it doesnt try to start the boot sequence) . If my monitor is
powered off and then I turn my PC - PC starts.. but system still fails to
detect the card.. when I reboot again, problem isnt solved..

(I'm sure the card is not defective, it works with another motherboard (MSI
K7N2-Delta, and my K7S5A works with another video cards (Riva TNT2 or
GeForce 4 MX440SE)

where is the problem? is it posible that they cant work together?

Old December 20th 03, 07:11 PM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:35:10 +0100
"LH" wrote:

Ive got a problem with my ("new") Ati video card. It doesnt work with
my motherboard. When I turn my PC on nothing happens, there is no
signal to my monitor (it doesnt try to start the boot sequence) . If
my monitor is powered off and then I turn my PC - PC starts.. but
system still fails to detect the card.. when I reboot again, problem
isnt solved..

(I'm sure the card is not defective, it works with another motherboard
(MSI K7N2-Delta, and my K7S5A works with another video cards (Riva
TNT2 or GeForce 4 MX440SE)

where is the problem? is it posible that they cant work together?

That's weird, but I've had that combo running at one time (at least with
a 1.x K7S5A) so I don't think it's an incompatibility. Not sure what to
advise though other than the old technique of stripping the machine down
to the motherboard, video board, power supply, one stick of ram,
keyboard, and power switch and seeing if that fixes the problem, if so
then go on from there adding things back until it breaks.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 20th 03, 11:07 PM
didymus7

There are a bunch of different versions of the K7S5A. I've run into a
problem on a version 5 board, the newest one I built up. It would not run
with a GeForce 4 board. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I just got
around it by installing a different card. My first reaction would be to see
if there is a BIOS update available for the board.

didymus7

Old December 24th 03, 04:42 AM
AZGuy

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:35:10 +0100, "LH" wrote:

Ive got a problem with my ("new") Ati video card. It doesnt work with my
motherboard. When I turn my PC on nothing happens, there is no signal to my
monitor (it doesnt try to start the boot sequence) . If my monitor is
powered off and then I turn my PC - PC starts.. but system still fails to
detect the card.. when I reboot again, problem isnt solved..

(I'm sure the card is not defective, it works with another motherboard (MSI
K7N2-Delta, and my K7S5A works with another video cards (Riva TNT2 or
GeForce 4 MX440SE)

where is the problem? is it posible that they cant work together?

Are you 100% sure you are getting the card seated in the AGP slot? I
have had that happen twice, for some reason the ATI card was a lot
harder to seat in my ECS MB then the prior AGP card I had.