Hardware damaged again.

Old July 17th 08, 07:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Hardware damaged again.

Getting a more powerfull rear exhaust fan might not help much since the
intake fans are very weak.

However there are some holes here and there in the case.

So I was wondering if it would be better to simply replace the entire case.

I looked at the antec 900 case which seems nice...

Only thing which worries me is the bottom power supply.

My seasonic s12 already has a fan in it and it's at the bottom.

Maybe it's possible to turn the s12 upside down in this case ?

But then it would be sucking air down... which might be counter
productive... since at the top there are fans as well.

An alternative solution migh tbe to put the intake fans on 10 volt instead
of 5 volts...

But this would increase noise quite a lot... so that's probably out of the
question

Water cooling seems pretty complex especially for gtx cards... with their
big heatsinks...

Also more cfm would probably mean more dust and fluffy inside and my place
is dusty

So I guess I am pretty much ****ed...

I did leave my pc on during a thunder storm recently... maybe that has
something to do with it.

But every other eletronic component in my house is still working...

So why is that my pc starts getting damaged and not the rest ?

Refrigator still working.

Television still working.

Lamps still working.

Clock still working.

Pc still working... but it started to crash during games... which is very
****ty and worrieing...

I do have a backup motherboard... but I don't want to install it yet... and
kill that too potentially.

Also I wonder how much cfm is needed for a gaming pc... no mention anywhere.

It guess it's just guessing work.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 17th 08, 07:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Marty[_4_]

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:28:32 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

Hello,

It seems the hardware of my pc is damaged again.

Probably the motherboard.

Sometimes the system crashes during a game.

Hello Skybuck,

Semen in the motherboard will do that every time. I suggest you stop
wanking.

HTH

Old July 17th 08, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GMAN

In article me.nl, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
Getting a more powerfull rear exhaust fan might not help much since the
intake fans are very weak.

However there are some holes here and there in the case.

So I was wondering if it would be better to simply replace the entire case.

I looked at the antec 900 case which seems nice...

Only thing which worries me is the bottom power supply.

My seasonic s12 already has a fan in it and it's at the bottom.

"Maybe it's possible to turn the s12 upside down in this case ? "

Exactly, the power supply is mounted upside down in the case so that the fan
on the PS is facing up from the bottom of the case. It helps draw heat from
the front 2 120mm fans that blows across the HD's and also draws heat away
from any of the pci cards down there. then you also have a rear 120mm fan
already mounted in the back, and a huge 200mm blowhole fan in the top.

But then it would be sucking air down... which might be counter
productive... since at the top there are fans as well.

See expanation above

An alternative solution migh tbe to put the intake fans on 10 volt instead
of 5 volts...

But this would increase noise quite a lot... so that's probably out of the
question

Water cooling seems pretty complex especially for gtx cards... with their
big heatsinks...

Also more cfm would probably mean more dust and fluffy inside and my place
is dusty

So I guess I am pretty much ****ed...

I did leave my pc on during a thunder storm recently... maybe that has
something to do with it.

No, but from what i remember of your past pics you have uploaded, you have two
SLI'd cards and a Soundblaster live card extremely sandwiched inbetween the
two video cards. I bet heat plays a huge role in your problems.

But every other eletronic component in my house is still working...

So why is that my pc starts getting damaged and not the rest ?

Refrigator still working.

Television still working.

Lamps still working.

Clock still working.

Pc still working... but it started to crash during games... which is very
****ty and worrieing...

HEAT!!!!!!

I do have a backup motherboard... but I don't want to install it yet... and
kill that too potentially.

Also I wonder how much cfm is needed for a gaming pc... no mention anywhere.

It guess it's just guessing work.

Bye,
Skybuck.

BTW, the Antec 900 is the case I have and it stays very cool.

Old July 17th 08, 07:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

daytripper wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:56:02 -0400, RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:

Take it out back, shoot it with a shotgun. Don't get another one. You
will be happier.

You'd trust this nitwit with a firearm??? ahahahahahahahahaha!

Sure! There is an ocean between me and him. With any luck, he would
blow his fool head off with the first shot.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Old July 17th 08, 07:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Antec 900 little bit dangerous.

When the power supply is upside down then there are a few risks:

1. Little things could fall down into the power supply, maybe a loose screw
or so

2. Dust could fall down and settle inside the power supply... ?

Maybe catch fire with hot power supplies ?

Sounds a bit dangerous, especially since this one seems to be a dust sucker

I also do not understand why they do not supply dust filters ?

Besides from that people seem enthousiastic about the cooling properties of
this case and other stuff like rubber feet I think and such..

I myself don't like the leds... and the see through glass... it becomes
dirty fast and I do not like to be distracted while I am gaming... by lights
or whatever.

Also attaching the power cords becomes more difficult/impossible if it's too
short...

The dust/catching fire issue/property of this case is worrieing... but maybe
it would require a new power supply anyway since maybe the s12 seasonic to
short...

Also some said little working space... others said good working space.

Extra venting possibility to gpu's.

So still some worrieing issue's with this case...

However people mentioned solutions:

1. Removing brackets...

2. Cutting a dust filter yourself and adding it.

3. Lenghting power supply cables... some said they cut it and soldered it...
which sounds dangerous...

4. Other mentioning power supply lengthing kit ? No idea how that works...
does that involve soldering and stuff ?

Maybe possible to replace glass window with something else...

No side fan...

Some said... 2 fans delivered... at least the website said... others said 4
fans delivered.

Bit confusing in that part...

Oh well... more to it then meats the eye

I am just being negative... because of all the positive reactions... the
negative always outweighs the positive

One little thingy is enough to be ****ing ****ty... like too short power
cables... or catching fire lol.

Time will tell if these people will have a burning pc or not

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 17th 08, 08:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GMAN

In article me.nl, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
Antec 900 little bit dangerous.

When the power supply is upside down then there are a few risks:

1. Little things could fall down into the power supply, maybe a loose screw
or so

You have a metal screen over the fan!

2. Dust could fall down and settle inside the power supply... ?

Never a problem with mine

Maybe catch fire with hot power supplies ?

Botttom of case is the coolest of the whole system

Sounds a bit dangerous, especially since this one seems to be a dust sucker

I also do not understand why they do not supply dust filters ?

Yup, i just ended up using some reticulated foam i found locally at
http://www.grainger.com/

Besides from that people seem enthousiastic about the cooling properties of
this case and other stuff like rubber feet I think and such..

I myself don't like the leds... and the see through glass... it becomes
dirty fast and I do not like to be distracted while I am gaming... by lights
or whatever.

Also attaching the power cords becomes more difficult/impossible if it's too
short...

The dust/catching fire issue/property of this case is worrieing... but maybe
it would require a new power supply anyway since maybe the s12 seasonic to
short...

Also some said little working space... others said good working space.

The inside is huge, this is why i went with the 900, it has an extra 4 inches
of clearance past the end of my huge Nvidia 880GTS.

Extra venting possibility to gpu's.

So still some worrieing issue's with this case...

However people mentioned solutions:

1. Removing brackets...

Never had to myself

2. Cutting a dust filter yourself and adding it.

Done that

3. Lenghting power supply cables... some said they cut it and soldered it...
which sounds dangerous...

For a dollar you can get extension cables. Remember you mount the HD's at the
bottom of the case, so the drives are very close enough to reach the power
cables.

4. Other mentioning power supply lengthing kit ? No idea how that works...
does that involve soldering and stuff ?

Dont need it

Maybe possible to replace glass window with something else...

Why

No side fan...

Add one if you want one.

Some said... 2 fans delivered... at least the website said... others said 4
fans delivered.

There are 4 fans, 2 120mm in the front drive cages , one 120mm in the top
back by the cpu, and 1 200mm blowhole fan at the top.

The damn case stays extremely cool

Bit confusing in that part...

Oh well... more to it then meats the eye

meets

I am just being negative... because of all the positive reactions... the
negative always outweighs the positive

One little thingy is enough to be ****ing ****ty... like too short power
cables... or catching fire lol.

Never heard of the 900 ever catching fire.

Time will tell if these people will have a burning pc or not

Bye,
Skybuck.

http://www.dor-lomin.com/images/foru...tec900-8800gtx.
jpg
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900

Try looking up the Antec 300 case, these are new and are cousin to the 900.
look here

http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_GamerCases.php

Old July 17th 08, 09:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Hi,

Thanks for replieing to this, especially the link to the picture is very
interesting.

Let's compare pictures:

Antec 900 (Your link/case):

http://www.dor-lomin.com/images/foru...00-8800gtx.jpg

Chieftec case (Skybuck's Dream PC 2006):

http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/Skybuck's%20Dream%20PC%20Website/

Looking at the antec 900 case I notice some things immediatly:

1. The see through red immediatly shows one problem: one bracket has to be
removed.

2. It shows how tiny the antec case really is compared to my current case.

The antec case has very little room for the extra cables which are visible
on my picture.

So this is another very worrieing point... those cables would get seriously
in the way with the antec case me thinks.

Back to point 1:

The red shows a very big problem... the secondary brackets which are not
displayed in the picture... but which would be required to mount
something... would also not be possible.

So end conclusion:

No harddisk could be mounted.

Which completely disqualifies this case as an sli rig.

Now some clearifications:

I have an x-fi elite pro soundblaster not an sb live.. big difference there
lol

Anyway....

I guess your gts is smaller than a gtx... assuming the red resembles gtx
things.

Googling for gtx 7900 and antec 900:

Gives a forum were somebody else comes two this conclusion:

"mounting two graphics cards impossible"

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=25807413

Here is a picture of a big gtx card inside an antec case:

http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?i...03largead9.jpg

It fits but it's very tight... this also means the room for the harddisks
can't be used which sucks big time ofcourse.

But it seems maybe 3 harddisk would fit... maybe only 2, maybe even only
one... difficult to see based on that picture.

I don't like it when I have case with lots of room but can't use it...
because of this... it makes the 6 bays or whatever pointless...

To bad really.

Oh well.

At least with my case I should be able to add extra harddisks easily...

Alternative solution maybe for me is finding more quiet 10 volt fans which
might be able to blow in more cool air over the harddisk and hopefully to
the back of the case.

But I think I already selected the most quiet fans... but maybe not... maybe
they only quiet on 5 volt... hmm maybe newer fans available which are more
quiet.

My current case is very nice I have little to complain about except:

1. Vibrations

2. It could have been a little bit wider.

3. The airflow sux. - which is biting me in the ass.

I am not sure what causes the bad airflow.. heat issue... but my guess is...
the fans... they to weak.

Also the information about this case is a bit misleading...

They said dust filters available but I couldn't order it... and they
couldn't deliver it...

Also... the said 4 fans mountable... but in reality only two extra fans
mounteable and shown in the picture...

Extra fans not really possible anyway... only two 5 volt connectors...

Otherwise 10 volt would have to be used which is very noisy... and the door
doesn't have the necessary mounting places...

Maybe there is a trick to mounting something in the door ?

Another solution comes to mind:

People have drilled holes in the top of their case...

I could do that to this case... but I don't that equipment and the skill to
do it...

But maybe the top of the case can be replaced... ?

Oh well this was a very interesting thread for me... I was considering the
antec 900 but it would be bad for me I think...

It might do for now... or maybe not at all... I would like to be able to add
extra harddisks in time... when I run out of space... or so... A feature I
am particularly keen on... if my old p3 dies I could add it's harddisk to my
dream pc easily and transfer contents for example...

Also bottom power supply does worry me... about the dust issue and falling
into it issue.

Painfull situation... Can't find a good sli case for me... must keep looking

Power cable is is connecting the main power cable to motherboard I guess..
antec is small though.. it will probably fit... but me not sure but ok..
case pretty much dismissed anyway... unless I really cannot find a better
case then maybe this one might do... I could keep on my old case when I
really need to transfer stuff... but this less from ideal...

I would be stuck to few harddisks... I am not even sure if antec 900 can
mount two harddisks with two big graphics cards... so..

I need to see picture of sli-rig with antec 900 with two harddisks in it at
least

3 or 4 harddisk would be even more interesting

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 17th 08, 09:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Here is a nice link with lots of galleries/images of cases full with
stuff/"rigs":

http://www.overclockersclub.com/gallery/

Maybe I can find something nice in there the coming days...

Looking at all this stuff takes lots of time.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 17th 08, 09:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Craig Sutton

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
Hello,

It seems the hardware of my pc is damaged again.

Probably the motherboard.

Prove it

Sometimes the system crashes during a game.

So what what does eventviewer say? was the cauase of the crash?

Old July 17th 08, 10:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Yes I need something like this:

A zone specially focused on "sli rigs":

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_cases.html