680 MB PCI Question

Old October 19th 03, 05:39 PM
Ray

Default 680 MB PCI Question

I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to be able to use
this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to network it to our
other PC's (all newer).
It appears that there are 3 PCI slots on the (IDE?) board (the only board
that comes off of the motherboard, P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have upgraded the
machine to Windows 98, and I have attempted to install a networking card in
one (and the each of the three) PCI slots. With the card installed, the
system will not boot. When I remove the card, the system boots right up.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Ray

Old October 19th 03, 06:42 PM
Elector

"Ray" wrote in message
I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to be able

to use
this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to network it

to our
other PC's (all newer).
It appears that there are 3 PCI slots on the (IDE?) board (the only

board
that comes off of the motherboard, P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have

upgraded the
machine to Windows 98, and I have attempted to install a networking

card in
one (and the each of the three) PCI slots. With the card installed,

the
system will not boot. When I remove the card, the system boots

right up.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Ray

Hi Ray, that card that comes off of the motherboard is called a riser
card. On first glance I would say you need to load the drivers for the
NIC card in order for it to be seen.

Many things can cause this situation and the first is that the card
may be defective. Did you try it in another computer?
Secondly it is possible that when you install a NIC card it may need a
certain IRQ/DMA and usually the setup disk will tell you if it is
available and how to move things around to get the card to work. (3
Com has such a set up disk)

The placement of the NIC card in the computer is not dependent on
which PCI slot you use. Any available spot will do in most cases but
the IRQ's are important.
If you had USB you can try a USB NIC (Free on most cable systems) and
that takes care of that situation.

Elector

Old October 19th 03, 11:28 PM

"Ray" wrote: "I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to
be able to use this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to
network it to our other PC's (all newer). It appears that there are 3 PCI
slots on the (IDE?) board (the only board that comes off of the motherboard,
P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have upgraded the machine to Windows 98, and I have
attempted to install a networking card in one (and the each of the three)
PCI slots. With the card installed, the system will not boot. When I
remove the card, the system boots right up. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,"

Ray, I have an old PB that uses the 680 mobo. I installed a Linksys NIC with
no problems. (My model has a riser card with 3 ISA slots [typically longer
black slots] and 2 PCI slots [typically shorter white slots]. It is
connected to my network and broadband via a Netopia router. The card
"should" not prevent your system from booting and even without the correct
driver, Win98 should detect the new hardware and prompt you to install a
driver. Did you install the NIC vendor's driver software before you
installed the card?

============
Practice safe tinkering and always wear a grounding strap.

View the UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Old October 20th 03, 11:27 AM
Elector

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:28:25 -0400, "G" had this to say and I had to reply to it:

::"Ray" wrote: "I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to
::be able to use this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to
::network it to our other PC's (all newer). It appears that there are 3 PCI
::slots on the (IDE?) board (the only board that comes off of the motherboard,
::P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have upgraded the machine to Windows 98, and I have
::attempted to install a networking card in one (and the each of the three)
::PCI slots. With the card installed, the system will not boot. When I
::remove the card, the system boots right up. Anyone have any suggestions?
::Thanks in advance,"
::
::Ray, I have an old PB that uses the 680 mobo. I installed a Linksys NIC with
::no problems. (My model has a riser card with 3 ISA slots [typically longer
::black slots] and 2 PCI slots [typically shorter white slots]. It is
::connected to my network and broadband via a Netopia router. The card
::"should" not prevent your system from booting and even without the correct
::driver, Win98 should detect the new hardware and prompt you to install a
::driver. Did you install the NIC vendor's driver software before you
::installed the card?

Ray, ignore this kook troll poster. Just do a google on it and that will be bore out.
This troll likes to steal others answers like mine (You will see I posted first) it does not know
anything about computers and any advice you take from it will be surely suspect.

This Grayson Walker is a lying troll and nut case. Just by the following statement

Quote: The card"should" not prevent your system from booting and even without the correct
driver, Win98 should detect the new hardware and prompt you to install a driver./Quote

In reality if there is a IRQ conflict because you did not get the drivers or setup to give the
proper IRQ/DMA for the nic cards use there would be a serious conflict on the system resulting in
it not being able to boot no matter what OS your using. Again this kook-troll-lying no nothing
Grayson Walker would have you believe it knows what it is talking about, it does not. Take no
advice from it and report its bad advice to Robb at fdn.com and keep on telling FDN about the troll
until they do something about it.

Elector

Old October 20th 03, 01:25 PM

Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.

He is the troll of this news group.

Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.

He is being investigated by the New York State Police.

He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State Board of Elections.

His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.
========

Old October 20th 03, 01:48 PM

Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.

He is the troll of this news group.

Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.

He is being investigated by the New York State Police.

He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State
Board of Elections.

His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the
rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.

Perhaps we should publish is name, address, and telephone numbers and bring
this troll into the light of day.
========

Old October 20th 03, 09:24 PM
Elector

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:48:12 -0400, "G" had this to say and I had to reply to it:

::Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.
::
::He is the troll of this news group.
::
::Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.
::
::He is being investigated by the New York State Police.
::
::He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State
::Board of Elections.
::
::His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the
::rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.
::
::Perhaps we should publish is name, address, and telephone numbers and bring
::this troll into the light of day.
::========

Yeah why don't you do that. It still will make you a lying troll, kook, president of no real
international company and you still posess no valid Ph.D so please try your luck troll boy. Oh I
noticed your personalities are coming out again in the guise of another morphing. You are a 100%
LOSER. And you and I and everyone here knows it. And all you wrote above is still a LIE. Well we
all know your a proven liar.

Elector

Old October 20th 03, 09:25 PM
Elector

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:25:55 -0400, had this to say and I had to reply to
it:

::Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.
::
::He is the troll of this news group.
::
::Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.
::
::He is being investigated by the New York State Police.
::
::He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State Board of Elections.
::
::His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.

You still are a lying troll, kook, president of no real international company and you still posess