Aspire 3100 CD

Old July 8th 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Bob Fay

Default Aspire 3100 CD

"Bob Fay" wrote in message
nk.net...

I am running Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on my 3100 right now.
The album says " not for sale or rental outside the US and Canada". I guess
that is "region 1". I am using Windows Media Player. I don't know what else
to tell you. Good Luck! The disk shows Region 1 in small print. This is on
the disk not on the box.

Old July 8th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Molesworth

In article et,
"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Molesworth" wrote in message
In article et,
"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Bob Fay" wrote in message
k.net...

"Molesworth" wrote in message

I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".

The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What
country

I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is recorded
for?

Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:

'unable to open 'dvd://E:'

In 'messages' it says:

'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'

Trying a CD now:

It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.

Weird.

Molesworth

DVD was bought at Walmart so I assume it's region 1.

VLC is the best media player out there. (IM and others O) but I tried
WMP and QT as well with the same results.

I also did a scroogle on this problem. It seems endemic to this model
Aspire/Pioneer! And there doesn't seem to be a fix. No upgrade drivers
available. The fact that it will play a CD but not a DVD seems odd to me
and indicates its a software problem.

(This laptop belongs to my wife - I've always been Mac so haven't much
of a background in PC problem-solving).

I read that deleting the device and rebooting might work, and I tried
that. Then read that the PC will only search within the HDD for the
driver, so that's no good as it only replaces like with like.

Even the pioneer website isn't any help.

I can't see how to replace the entire drive either. I suppose it must be
serviceable?

I might have to send it back to Acer.

--
Molesworth
Old July 9th 07, 12:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Bob Fay

"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Molesworth" wrote in message
In article et,
"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Bob Fay" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

Now, I am confused. What does Pioneer have to do with Aspire 3100?

Does "My Computer" recognize the presence of the DVD in the E drive.

Also the //E: smacks of a Network designation. Is the Notebook on a network?
Is this drive being shared on a network?

Old July 9th 07, 03:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
doS[_5_]

"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Molesworth" wrote in message
In article et,
"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Bob Fay" wrote in message
k.net...

"Molesworth" wrote in message

I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".

The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What
country

I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is
recorded
for?

Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:

'unable to open 'dvd://E:'

In 'messages' it says:

'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'

Trying a CD now:

It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.

Weird.

Molesworth

DVD was bought at Walmart so I assume it's region 1.

VLC is the best media player out there. (IM and others O) but I tried
WMP and QT as well with the same results.

what dvd playing software are you using? you need software,not just VLC...

Old July 9th 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Bob Fay

"doS" wrote in message
bob, pioneer made the dvd rom in some models of acer

Thanks doS. I was not thinking that way.

Bob

Old July 9th 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Bob Fay

"doS" wrote in message

If you have been able to play DVDs on this computer before, and you receive
an error message, you might be able to solve the problem by restarting your
computer.

If you receive an error message the first time you try to play a DVD, you
might not have a decoder installed, or your decoder might need to be
updated.

In addition to your DVD-ROM drive and player software, you must have either
a hardware or software decoder in order to play DVDs. A hardware decoder
also requires a decoder driver. Decoders and their drivers are available
from third-party manufacturers.

If you have an older decoder installed, contact the manufacturer of the
decoder to obtain an updated version that is compatible with Windows XP.

Updated, Windows XP compatible DVD decoders are available through the
following DVD solution providers: Solution Providers Decoder Products
National Semiconductor Corporation Mediamatics DVD player
MGI Software Corp. Zoran SoftDVD and MGI SoftDVD Max
Ravisent Technologies Software CineMaster or CinePlayer 1.0
InterVideo, Inc. WinDVD
CyberLink Corp. PowerDVD

I hate doing this, but it might help with what doS is talking about.

Bob

Old July 9th 07, 04:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Bob Fay

"Bob Fay" wrote in message
nk.net...

Trying to provide links.

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU.html

Bob

Old July 9th 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Molesworth

"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Molesworth" wrote in message
In article et,
"Bob Fay" wrote:

"Bob Fay" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

The DVD player component in the Laptop is made by Pioneer.

'E' drive shows up in 'My Computer'

When I insert a DVD, it can be heard (and felt) whirring inside. but
when I open WMP it says 'No disc', but it will play a CD and display
title tracks etc.

I am reading the other posts atm, and will try all suggestions.

The list of software suppliers in an earlier message is all about either
replacing the drive entire, or 'not found'. It's the MS help section
from the Aspire DVD drivers page.

I'll be back!

:-)

--
Molesowrth
Old July 9th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Molesworth

In article ,
"doS" wrote:

what dvd playing software are you using? you need software,not just VLC...

Driver version 5.1.2535.0

There are no updates that I can find.

Am I missing something here?

:-)

Molesworth

Acer 3100 ragawo Acer Computers 8 April 27th 07 04:11 PM
can't yet see laserjet 3100 hupjack Printers 7 January 20th 05 05:52 PM
HP LaserJet 3100 with XP Bill Stock Printers 1 January 7th 05 02:17 AM
HP 3100 port nick Printers 0 September 17th 03 11:25 AM