Acer bios Update fails

Old December 18th 05, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Default Acer bios Update fails

Hi,
I need help..

I upgraded my bios with the program found on the acer's site.
Windows procedure, the notebook does not have a floppy drive to do this
operation under dos boot.
So, after this operation, no error message and reboot.
The problem is here... Impossible to reboot the computer,Black screen, power
on, leds lightened, so, it seems to work but the boot procedure is stopped
here.
I think the upgrade fails.
Looking into the files downloaded from Acer's site, there are some different
files between the dos procedure and the windows one. I think the windows
option doesn't give the file for the model i have, regardless the info files
saying it is for the aspire 1670.
Can anyone help me to recover my config or simply have the possibility to
open the bios panel if a security backup exists oin the computer.
I tried several combinaisons key while turning on the computer but nothing
good.
I tried to open the notebook finding a jumper or battery to reset the cmos,
but, this operation seems to be hard... i resign this option.
I'm looking for a service book or some other help...
If possible, i don't want to return the notebook to acer's maintenance, my
HD contains some personnal and business data and as it is impossible to
acces the hd, impossible to make a backup before sending it to maintenance
site.

Thanks for reading this post ... and if posible respond with a solution.
And... Excuse if there are some errors in this post, i'm a french one, and
my english so far from my school lessons...

Old December 28th 05, 07:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Sorry, I have no solution cause I have the same Problem with a Acer
Travelmate 4151LMi. I made a BIOS upgrade with the windows utility
without any error message and after the reboot I have only a black
screen. Do you have currently a solution?
Tomorrow I will try to organize a USB Floppy an try to boot with this
device. I'll report the result.

Old December 28th 05, 08:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

I think it is impossible to boot with an usb port..
I tried this way.. but, as the computer does'nt boot, usb ports are not
recognized.
My computer is 3 months old, so i called the maintenance and for now, the
only way i found was to send them the notebook.
the only thing i heard was a long beep with two short beeps. Fans on, leds
on..

Old December 29th 05, 07:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

I had the same problems. Nothing my Notebook is also only three month
old and nothing seems to work after the windows BIOS update.

On a DOS BIOS disk I found a crisis BIOS update. I pluged in a USB
floppy and did a crisis BIOS update:
a). Using the buildrim.bat to create 512k rom which match with your
platform,
and then rename it to bios.rom.
b). Copy bfla****.bin and bios.rom to floppy disk.
c). Plug in AC and floppy disk to your system.
d). Press Fn+Esc and don't release.
e). Press power button, and then release Fn+Esc.
f). Wait crisis to be finished.

It worked! My Acer runs now again!

What says the customer service to the problems with the update
software?

Old December 29th 05, 06:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

For my Notebook the files where at the same archive like the MS-DOS
BIOS update from the Acer homepage. But I don't know where the files
are for the aspire 1673. Maybe you can ask the customer support.

Old January 12th 06, 10:55 AM
zopiezopie zopiezopie is offline
Junior Member

Sorry for my english.
I have a Acer 1310.
"The problem is here... Impossible to reboot the computer,Black screen, power on, leds lightened, so, it seems to work but the boot procedure is stopped here. "
Only try to read on Cdrom (led blinking). Dont try to read on Floppy drive.
Is possible to restore the bios from Cdrom?

Old January 15th 06, 11:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Hello,
I have a Acer 1703SC.
After a bios update I have exactly the same problem you wrote.
I gave my Laptop to Acer in Austria and they told me that the
motherboard is broken and it costs Euro 800,-- to fix that. So I am
also looking for any information to make a crisis Bios update like it
is described from "Guest" on the Dec 29 2005. Knows anybody
where to find the files buildrim.bat and bfla****.bin?
Thanks in advance!

Old January 16th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Hey...
My computer was month old.
I called the maintenace without telling them what happened...
They changed my motherboard...
And for now, i can't tell how to make a crisis bios update, considering,
there is no diskette drive, and also, when the problem happends, there is no
way to boot on any drive..
My problem is solved, luckily free (waranty...)
Try calling maintenance as i did