Scan Elite 5400

Old October 10th 03, 04:53 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Dave" asked:

What does Product Activation add?

More profits for Adobe, at least according to the bean counters. I'd guess
that what it really adds is more profits for Corel and Digital Light and
Color as people move to PhotoPaint or Picture Window Pro to avoid the
obnoxiousness.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 11th 03, 06:57 PM
Alan Browne

pioe(rmv) wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Yes. However, the bundled editing tool (PS Elements 2.0) works in 8
bit mode. So you need PS 7 pro, or PictureWindow Pro (clunky to use)
to work at 16 bits...

No, you do not.

Yes you do, or...

Corel PhotoPaint also has that capability, and is in my opinion equal to
Photoshop. Above all, it has no Product Activation.

I have had more troube with various Corel products than any other s/w maker.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Old October 12th 03, 12:09 AM
Scott Peterson

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

More profits for Adobe, at least according to the bean counters. I'd guess
that what it really adds is more profits for Corel and Digital Light and
Color as people move to PhotoPaint or Picture Window Pro to avoid the
obnoxiousness.

I don't see why if you're honest about your use. Their licensing
allows you to have PS installed on two systems, like a home system and
a laptop, as long as you're only using one at a time.

Is there some restriction I'm missing.

Scott Peterson

Paranoia is an underappreciated
form of mental health.
Old October 12th 03, 01:24 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Scott Peterson" wrote in message
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

More profits for Adobe, at least according to the bean counters. I'd

guess
that what it really adds is more profits for Corel and Digital Light and
Color as people move to PhotoPaint or Picture Window Pro to avoid the
obnoxiousness.

I don't see why if you're honest about your use. Their licensing
allows you to have PS installed on two systems, like a home system and
a laptop, as long as you're only using one at a time.

Is there some restriction I'm missing.

Yes: you missed my "according to the bean counters". I was trying to point
out that it's the heads-wedged-up-their-you-know-wheres bean counters that
are insisting on product activiation. IMHO, most people using photoshop
illegally simply wouldn't use it if they couldn't. (Call me naive.) But even
if I am naive, I can't imagine the slight increase in profits being worth
the loss in customer good will. I was a strong supporter of MS in the MS vs.
everyone else wars, simply because MS has provided software that meets my
needs at reasonable prices over the years with no BS. I do not like the idea
of Sun, who has never made any hardware or software I could afford, having
something to say about the way MS does business. But MS has shot themselves
the foot something fierce with 'Doze XP; even I can't defend them any more.
And I doubt I'll be buying the new photoshop.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 12th 03, 03:57 AM
Scott Peterson

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

Yes: you missed my "according to the bean counters". I was trying to point
out that it's the heads-wedged-up-their-you-know-wheres bean counters that
are insisting on product activiation. IMHO, most people using photoshop
illegally simply wouldn't use it if they couldn't. (Call me naive.) But even
if I am naive, I can't imagine the slight increase in profits being worth
the loss in customer good will.

I'm still missing your point. If someone is using it illegally, they
will probably continue to. All of the product activation schemes have
had code generators out quickly.

I don't like the idea of product activation, but as long as it's not
intrusive and does allow me to have copies on multiple systems I don't
see where the good will loss will occur.

Scott Peterson

Politicians and diapers should be
changed at regular intervals, and
for the same reason
Old October 12th 03, 06:09 AM
David J. Littleboy

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

Yes: you missed my "according to the bean counters". I was trying to

point
out that it's the heads-wedged-up-their-you-know-wheres bean counters

that
are insisting on product activiation. IMHO, most people using photoshop
illegally simply wouldn't use it if they couldn't. (Call me naive.) But

even
if I am naive, I can't imagine the slight increase in profits being worth
the loss in customer good will.

I'm still missing your point. If someone is using it illegally, they
will probably continue to.

They won't be using the new product illegally.

All of the product activation schemes have had code generators out

quickly.

I don't like the idea of product activation, but as long as it's not
intrusive and does allow me to have copies on multiple systems I don't
see where the good will loss will occur.

Not all my machines necessarily have internet connections (I usually don't
internet on the road, so until recently my portable has never had
internet/email, but I use it for downloading and editing images from
cameras). And I live in Japan. Will Adobe USA decide not to activate my
photoshop because they only sell in the US? (This is a serious issue: I
couldn't persuade the RealPlayer folks to send me a US version of their
product; Adobe Japan wants 50% more for a Japanese enabled version that may
not be compatible with the US-English based actions I want to run). I can
still use last year's software, and occasionally do (my McGraw-Hill Sci/tech
encyclopedia CD-ROM is 10 years old). What happens when Adobe decides that
"CS" isn't the current version and they can't be bothered to do product
activations for it any more? What happens when Adobe goes bankrupt?

The idea of having to ask Adobe's permission every time I want to use the
software I've paid for is not acceptable. (And I buy a new machine almost
every year, so reloading old paid-for software is something I do quite
often.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 12th 03, 03:41 PM
CSM1

OT: Product activation:
This is what Intuit (TurboTax) did after protests from their customers.
http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/ya...,110745,00.asp

Inutit press release:
http://www.intuit.com/about_intuit/p...003/10-09.html

I think that Product Activation is a very bad move on software companies
part. Copy protection Killed Lotus 123 back in the '70s or '80s.

If I buy the software, I should have the right to install and use the
software on all of my personal computers, all of which I can only use one at
a time.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Scott Peterson" wrote in

message

Old October 13th 03, 04:17 PM
Alan Browne

CSM1 wrote:

OT: Product activation:
This is what Intuit (TurboTax) did after protests from their customers.
http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/ya...,110745,00.asp

Inutit press release:
http://www.intuit.com/about_intuit/p...003/10-09.html

I think that Product Activation is a very bad move on software companies
part. Copy protection Killed Lotus 123 back in the '70s or '80s.

If I buy the software, I should have the right to install and use the
software on all of my personal computers, all of which I can only use one at
a time.

That's one of those lame arguments against a computer s/w house' right
to revenue for their product. The fact is that TurboTax is a highly
"shared" software with copies being made and copies being shared. This
is very frustrating to the products owners. Who, incidently don't mind
if one installation is used to prepare multiple returns.

Old October 14th 03, 01:10 AM
Scott Peterson

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

Not all my machines necessarily have internet connections (I usually don't
internet on the road, so until recently my portable has never had
internet/email, but I use it for downloading and editing images from
cameras). And I live in Japan. Will Adobe USA decide not to activate my
photoshop because they only sell in the US?

Activation is not = registration.

From the Adobe web site at http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html

Q: What is activation?
A: Activation is a series of simple and quick steps users of Adobe
software take upon installation in order to begin using the
applications. A simple, anonymous process, activation helps prevent
casual copying.

Note the word anonymous. You don't have to have an internet connection
to do product activation

Q: What happens during product activation?

A: When a customer installs Photoshop CS for the first time, the
program assigns an activation number to his or her specific computer.
When the product is activated on a computer, this activation number
and the product serial number are provided to Adobe so Adobe can
ensure that each genuine copy of its software is not activated more
than the permitted number of times. Activation does not hinder
licensed users' ability to use the software the way they always have.
Users can choose the activation process they prefer: by Internet or
phone, either with a live Customer Care representative or through the
24-hour automated Activation Voice Response (AVR) system.

As far as geographical issues,

Q: What information is needed for activation?

A: The only information users need is their software serial number,
which is supplied with the product. The serial number is typically
found on the product CD case and on the registration card in the box.

Q: How will this information be used?

A: The unique serial number assigned to each version of Photoshop is
combined with a randomly generated number, assigned to the user's
computer. When the product is activated on a computer, this activation
number and the product serial number are provided to Adobe so Adobe
can ensure that each genuine copy of its software is not activated
more than the permitted number of times. Adobe's activation system
does not collect, transmit, or use any personal information, including
the customer's hardware configuration.

So all you need is the serial number and the ability to make a phone
call. Hopefully there will be a local number you can call but if not,
Beyond that the only time activation becomes an issue is if you make
more than a certain number of hardware changes. This is generally
pretty hard to do. I've managed to do it a couple of times, but much
less often than I thought I would.

I have to admit it's a pain in the neck, but not an insurmountable
one.

regards,

Scott Peterson

The light at the end of the tunnel
may be nothing more than an idiot
with a match."
Old October 14th 03, 02:30 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Scott Peterson" wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

Not all my machines necessarily have internet connections (I usually

don't
internet on the road, so until recently my portable has never had
internet/email, but I use it for downloading and editing images from
cameras). And I live in Japan. Will Adobe USA decide not to activate my
photoshop because they only sell in the US?

Activation is not = registration.

From the Adobe web site at http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html

Q: What is activation?
A: Activation is a series of simple and quick steps users of Adobe
software take upon installation in order to begin using the
applications. A simple, anonymous process, activation helps prevent
casual copying.

Note the word anonymous. You don't have to have an internet connection
to do product activation

From the following, it sounds as though you are essentially wrong he

Q: What happens during product activation?

A: When a customer installs Photoshop CS for the first time, the
program assigns an activation number to his or her specific computer.
When the product is activated on a computer, this activation number
and the product serial number are provided to Adobe

Hello? How are they "provided to Adobe" without a connection? The whole
point of MS activation, which is what this sounds very much like, is that
instead of asking a self-contained serial number check routine for
permission, you have to ask Adobe for permission, to use the product you
paid for.

so Adobe can
ensure that each genuine copy of its software is not activated more
than the permitted number of times. Activation does not hinder
licensed users' ability to use the software the way they always have.
Users can choose the activation process they prefer: by Internet or
phone, either with a live Customer Care representative or through the
24-hour automated Activation Voice Response (AVR) system.

Exactly: you have to ask permission (either internet or phone).

They want US$700 for the product and I've got to put up with this BS? No
thank you.

So all you need is the serial number and the ability to make a phone
call.

And pay international rates to be put on hold? No thanks.

Hopefully there will be a local number you can call but if not,

The local number won't validate US software. This is Japan. Things don't
work that way here.

Beyond that the only time activation becomes an issue is if you make
more than a certain number of hardware changes. This is generally
pretty hard to do. I've managed to do it a couple of times, but much
less often than I thought I would.

As I pointed out, I buy a new machine almost every year (laptop one year,
desktop another, usually). That means I have to ask Adobe's permission to
use the software on each new machine. Multiply by the number of
applications, and that's getting to be a serious pain. Is Adobe going to
believe my insistence that I've actually fdisk'ed the old machine or are
they going to think I sold it as is with all the software installed???

I have to admit it's a pain in the neck, but not an insurmountable
one.

It's not insurmountable, it's unacceptable. I was hoping I wouldn't have to
become a Gimp developer, but that may be my fate...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Seagate 7200 RPM 80GB slower than 5400 RPM Maxtor? Larrymoencurly Homebuilt PC's 5 August 8th 04 12:53 PM
Minolta Scan Elite 5400 SND Scanners 1 September 22nd 03 08:24 AM
Scanning multiple slides with Dual Scan III Daryl Anderson Scanners 2 September 13th 03 05:38 PM
Rebate for the Logitech Cordless Elite Duo [email protected] General 0 September 9th 03 03:58 AM
Maxtor hard drives - don't surface scan! CK General 3 August 22nd 03 10:45 AM