Scan Elite 5400

Old October 6th 03, 03:34 PM
Mike

Default Scan Elite 5400

Need some information from anyone who has the Minolta Scan Elite 5400.

Does the Digital ICE work in 16-bit mode?

Does the Pixel Polish work in 16-bit mode?

Does the Grain Dissolver work in 16-bit mode?

What about other advanced features and using them in 16-bit mode
(e.g., image adjustment tools)?

Does their digital ICE only modify the image where it finds
dust/scratches or does it adjust the entire image (which typically
justs blurs everything a little...)?

I am asking help here for two reasons.

1. I have the dual scan III and these types of functions do not work
when scanning in 16 bit mode.

2. I sent these questions to Minolta (more than once) a while back and
never got an answer. Now when I go to their site, it is
Konica-Minlota and they do not even have asking quesitons and the FAQ
available (at least where I looked)
Old October 6th 03, 05:45 PM
Tom BORG

Hi, yes they work in 16 bit mode (though I've not tried pixel polish) ...I
prefer to do any other adjustments in suitable 16-bit image editor ... but
puzzled by your comments, far as I know Dual 3 has no ICE??

Old October 6th 03, 07:39 PM
Alan Browne

Mike wrote:

Need some information from anyone who has the Minolta Scan Elite 5400.

Does the Digital ICE work in 16-bit mode?

Yes, eg: if saving in TIFF and with the 16 bit preference flag checked.

Does the Pixel Polish work in 16-bit mode?

Yes (as above).

Does the Grain Dissolver work in 16-bit mode?

Yes (and is always used with ICE).

What about other advanced features and using them in 16-bit mode
(e.g., image adjustment tools)?

Yes. However, the bundled editing tool (PS Elements 2.0) works in 8 bit
mode. So you need PS 7 pro, or PictureWindow Pro (clunky to use) to
work at 16 bits...

Does their digital ICE only modify the image where it finds
dust/scratches or does it adjust the entire image (which typically
justs blurs everything a little...)?

The ICE does NOT "typically just blur", it uses the IR channel to look
for scratch and dust artificats. Yes, the overall image does get a very
slight blurring as a result. If you scan at 5400 with ICE and then
later on use the unsharp mask, these effects are all but taken away.

I am asking help here for two reasons.

1. I have the dual scan III and these types of functions do not work
when scanning in 16 bit mode.

With the Minolta supplied software, the setting for 16 bit is well
buried, but it is there.

2. I sent these questions to Minolta (more than once) a while back and
never got an answer. Now when I go to their site, it is
Konica-Minlota and they do not even have asking quesitons and the FAQ
available (at least where I looked)

The problem with Minolta's FAQ's anf mail in requests is that the same
poor slobs who answer the e-mails are not able to answer detailled
questions on the hundreds of products. They are crap in this regard.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old October 6th 03, 08:31 PM
Michael Woolley

Pixel Polish doesn't work in 16 bit mode, on mine at least. No need: use
photoshop. Grain dissolver does work in both modes though, in fact it is
always activated if you use ICE. I have found softening effects of ICE
negligible. Fab scanner.
Cheers
Mike

Old October 7th 03, 04:05 AM
Mike

Sorry, when I said "advanced functions like these", I was not refering
to digital ICE which the Dual Scan III does not have, you are correct.

Old October 7th 03, 07:51 PM
Alan Browne

Michael Woolley wrote:
Pixel Polish doesn't work in 16 bit mode, on mine at least. No need: use
photoshop. Grain dissolver does work in both modes though, in fact it is
always activated if you use ICE. I have found softening effects of ICE
negligible. Fab scanner.
Cheers
Mike

With PixPol "engaged" and 16 bit selected, the scanner does scan and
generate a 16 bit deep TIF file. So I assume that the PixPol has had an
effect and to 16 bits depth. (Note that I tested this with ICE/GEM
engaged as well).

Alan.

Old October 7th 03, 08:04 PM
JIM

"Alan Browne" "Alan wrote in message
. ..
With PixPol "engaged" and 16 bit selected, the scanner does scan and
generate a 16 bit deep TIF file. So I assume that the PixPol has had an
effect and to 16 bits depth. (Note that I tested this with ICE/GEM
engaged as well).

And 16 bit provides what advantages over 8 bit?

Jim

Old October 8th 03, 12:29 AM
Alan Browne

JIM wrote:

"Alan Browne" "Alan wrote in message
. ..

With PixPol "engaged" and 16 bit selected, the scanner does scan and
generate a 16 bit deep TIF file. So I assume that the PixPol has had an
effect and to 16 bits depth. (Note that I tested this with ICE/GEM
engaged as well).

And 16 bit provides what advantages over 8 bit?

Jim

The number of bits/pixel is the "depth of color" or dynamic range to be
more specific.

If one scans at 8 bits (RGB 24 bits), then the scanner gets the color
and whites really well, but loses detail and tone graduation in the
shaddow and dark areas. Older film scanners were 8 bits. Over the past
couple years they've grown to 10, 12 and 14 bits. With the 5400, it is
16 bits (each pixel has an RGB channel of 16 bits depth).

Alan.

Old October 9th 03, 01:34 PM
pioe(rmv)

Alan Browne wrote:

Yes. However, the bundled editing tool (PS Elements 2.0) works in 8 bit
mode. So you need PS 7 pro, or PictureWindow Pro (clunky to use) to
work at 16 bits...

No, you do not.

Corel PhotoPaint also has that capability, and is in my opinion equal
to Photoshop. Above all, it has no Product Activation.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Old October 10th 03, 04:29 AM
Dave

What does Product Activation add?

Dave
"pioe(rmv)" wrote in message
newswchb.10041$P51.17609@amstwist00...
Alan Browne wrote:

Yes. However, the bundled editing tool (PS Elements 2.0) works in 8 bit
mode. So you need PS 7 pro, or PictureWindow Pro (clunky to use) to
work at 16 bits...

No, you do not.

Corel PhotoPaint also has that capability, and is in my opinion equal
to Photoshop. Above all, it has no Product Activation.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Seagate 7200 RPM 80GB slower than 5400 RPM Maxtor? Larrymoencurly Homebuilt PC's 5 August 8th 04 12:53 PM
Minolta Scan Elite 5400 SND Scanners 1 September 22nd 03 08:24 AM
Scanning multiple slides with Dual Scan III Daryl Anderson Scanners 2 September 13th 03 05:38 PM
Rebate for the Logitech Cordless Elite Duo [email protected] General 0 September 9th 03 03:58 AM
Maxtor hard drives - don't surface scan! CK General 3 August 22nd 03 10:45 AM