New build from old parts...COA question

Old February 5th 16, 10:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

Default New build from old parts...COA question

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:07:41 AM UTC-6, Bob_Villa wrote:
I assembled some parts I had lying around from salvage: an old Asus/AMD M/B and a used laptop drive I had from a portable USB. When I loaded Windows 7 from an OEM Dell DVD it never asked for the COA. I've never had this happen and was wondering how or why? It's been a few months, so it didn't come back and ask for it...Thanks for any thoughts!

Yesterday it finally said "Windows is not genuine" and it shows a black background wallpaper. It asks, "Do you want to resolve this online?"
When I've installed before it would show an icon "key" and keep nagging for the COA.
Old February 6th 16, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pedro[_3_]

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 14:31:35 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:07:41 AM UTC-6, Bob_Villa wrote:
I assembled some parts I had lying around from salvage: an old Asus/AMD M/B and a used laptop drive I had from a portable USB. When I loaded Windows 7 from an OEM Dell DVD it never asked for the COA. I've never had this happen and was wondering how or why? It's been a few months, so it didn't come back and ask for it...Thanks for any thoughts!

Yesterday it finally said "Windows is not genuine" and it shows a black background wallpaper. It asks, "Do you want to resolve this online?"
When I've installed before it would show an icon "key" and keep nagging for the COA.

There is a particular update (the number escapes me, but googling for
Win 7 nag should reveal it, or ask and I'll dig it up) which results
in that behaviour. Delete/uninstall that update and you get back your
desktop behaviour.

Another update (last Dec IIRC) now causes the banner in the lower
right above the status bar:

Win 7
Build 7601
This copy is not genuine

or similar. Haven't got round to chasing that one down.

This MS attitude to paid-for O/S's givesme the irrits.

Old February 6th 16, 04:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

wrote:

[...]

I have it set to never update.
Old February 8th 16, 05:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pedro[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Interesting. The black desktop background (i.e. ignoring your
selected DTBG) was a characteristic/outcome of a check performed by
that update I referred to. Prior to that (and after uninstallation of
the said update), out-of-the-box W7-7601behaved properly wrt desktop
background selection. Here, anyway.