Dead Inspiron 1420 ?

Old January 19th 16, 07:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default Dead Inspiron 1420 ?

Patient is an Inspiron 1420, circa 2007, occasional use. Last used a
week or so ago, did a lot of updates, some other housekeeping.

Left AC adapter plugged in to unit, to charge battery. Came back this
morning to boot up, and completely dead. The battery has a soft button
on the back that when you push and hold, all five green lights come on,
indicating fully charged.

If I plug in the AC charger, I expect the charge light on the left front
side of the laptop to at least go blue for a second or so...it does
nothing.

I've tried removing the battery and holding down the power button for 30
seconds, and the media button, but no luck.

Any ideas?

TIA
Old January 19th 16, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I have a Vostro 1520 with the same problem. If you find out a fix,
post it.

My present plan is use it for parts when a need comes up. The thing
is a ******* to get at inside, though. Meaning that reassembly is
not sure to go well.

Old January 19th 16, 07:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Ron Hardin wrote in news:569E89C4.3407
@mindspring.com:

I have a Vostro 1520 with the same problem. If you find out a fix,
post it.

Will do.

My present plan is use it for parts when a need comes up. The thing
is a ******* to get at inside, though. Meaning that reassembly is
not sure to go well.

Yes, I saw your post, and figured I was out of luck, too. Too bad, it runs
Win7 with Word and Xcel, and a hard drive based email application. I dread
having to move up to somthing like Win10 and running non-hard drive based
apps. And, 'renting' Word and Excel.

Old January 19th 16, 10:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 2:04:00 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
Patient is an Inspiron 1420, circa 2007, occasional use. Last used a
week or so ago, did a lot of updates, some other housekeeping.

Left AC adapter plugged in to unit, to charge battery. Came back this
morning to boot up, and completely dead. The battery has a soft button
on the back that when you push and hold, all five green lights come on,
indicating fully charged.

If I plug in the AC charger, I expect the charge light on the left front
side of the laptop to at least go blue for a second or so...it does
nothing.

I've tried removing the battery and holding down the power button for 30
seconds, and the media button, but no luck.

Any ideas?

TIA

Boris, Rather than moving up(??) to Windows 10, how about simply getting another Inspiron 1420, making sure it has at least the same amount of memory, and simply moving the hard drive from the dead one to a live one? I have done this sort of "repair" for people in my town.

I may have a more-or-less working 1420 here, if that interests you. The larger 1520 would work, too, because it uses the same motherboard chipset, hence Windows would not get upset... Ben Myers

Old January 20th 16, 01:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill Ghrist[_4_]

On 1/19/2016 2:14 PM, Boris wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote in news:569E89C4.3407
@mindspring.com:

I have a Vostro 1520 with the same problem. If you find out a fix,
post it.

Will do.

My present plan is use it for parts when a need comes up. The thing
is a ******* to get at inside, though. Meaning that reassembly is
not sure to go well.

Yes, I saw your post, and figured I was out of luck, too. Too bad, it runs
Win7 with Word and Xcel, and a hard drive based email application. I dread
having to move up to somthing like Win10 and running non-hard drive based
apps. And, 'renting' Word and Excel.

Dell (for now at least) still sells laptops with Win7 Pro. Just make
sure you choose "For Work" not "For Home."
Old January 20th 16, 02:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Ben Myers wrote in
:

[...]

Hmmm...that's worth thinking about. Thanks.
Old January 20th 16, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Bill Ghrist wrote:
Dell (for now at least) still sells laptops with Win7 Pro. Just make
sure you choose "For Work" not "For Home."

We got all our stuff from the scratch and dent business site. Be sure to
check the coupons, which exist very often. A lot of win7 offerings.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...8&l=en& s=dfb

Though we don't use it anymore because we need XP and who knows that drivers will be missing.