Want Dell Latitude Password/Service-Tag Generator Program

Old April 7th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Want Dell Latitude Password/Service-Tag Generator Program

"Mike" wrote:
http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/dell-tag/dell/dell.html

I'm not seeing anything in the 24C02 datasheet that says that tying
SCLK to A2 resets it...
Old April 7th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I don't get the impression that this is a feature of the chip. The
directions say the password feature can no longer be used after this is
done, so I get the feeling it may do some permanent damage to the chip
itself. Definitely a last resort operation.

-Mike

Old April 7th 06, 08:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Want Dell Latitude LOCKED HARD DRIVES

Just in case any one needs it. Here's some info on locked HD's. It refers to
Toshiba, Hitachi and Fujitsu drives, but since the lock mechanism is part of
the ATA standard, it should work with other ATA drives.

Note that in some cases (where maximum security was enabled) you may need to
erase your drive to get it working, but if you lost the password and are
just trying to get a working computer, than you security has done what you
asked and that should be OK with you.

There is, of course, lots more info to be searched for if this doesn't suit
your needs.

http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html

-Mike

"Notan" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Let's not get that started again . . .

Do I hear $200.00??

snip

That's one of the nice things about getting senile... Every day's
a new day, and every thread is fresh. g

Notan

Old April 12th 06, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Mike" wrote:
http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/dell-tag/dell/dell.html

I'm not seeing anything in the 24C02 datasheet that says that tying
SCLK to A2 resets it...

I have reset many dell laptop passwords this way .... it does no
damage. But need a program called svctag to restore the password
function

Old April 12th 06, 04:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Mike" top-posted:
I don't get the impression that this is a feature of the chip. The
directions say the password feature can no longer be used after this is
done, so I get the feeling it may do some permanent damage to the chip
itself. Definitely a last resort operation.

Ah, so maybe it's scrambling the data on the chip (or returned from
the power-up read of the chip) sufficiently that the CPU thinks the
chip is hosed and erases it. Then you need to give it a service tag
before you can apply passwords (a known Dell BIOS feature is to block
password protection of uninitialized boards).

Now the OP only has to find that chip on his board...
Old April 13th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Yeah that's my guess. (I took a look at the data sheet too after your last
reply). Obviously shorting the connectors could screw up the data read on
boot, and it makes sense from an engineering point to wipe the chip and
enter a service mode in that case. Otherwise, if the data were to become
legitimately corrupted somehow, it would render the computer unusable.

Old April 15th 06, 04:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Tom Scales wrote:
"pulse" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Mike" wrote:
http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/dell-tag/dell/dell.html

I'm not seeing anything in the 24C02 datasheet that says that tying
SCLK to A2 resets it...

I have reset many dell laptop passwords this way .... it does no
damage. But need a program called svctag to restore the password
function

Which models?

Mostly lattitudes .... I was employed by a computer salvage company to
find a solution after they received laptops from the inland revenue who
had no records of passwords! After I had shorted the chip I couldn't
eneter a new password. I found this was because the service tag was
erased. Using svctag I re-entered the service tag and the password
facility was restored

Old April 19th 06, 02:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks Mike!

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:04:43 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

So, here's the appropriate info. It's also for sale for about $12.00 on
Ebay, but as usual, any info that some as*hole thinks he can sell on Ebay is
also available free somewhere on the net. (I hate people who try to sell
information that's already on the net).

http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/dell-tag/dell/dell.html

This took all of ten minutes to find with Google and it does not require the
original owner or help from Dell. The C500 and C600 are listed as confirmed
to be fixable with this method. QUOTE: "The Chip is on the bottom side of
motherboard, under the PCMCIA card slots."

Just to be clear, Tom, in my first post I said that your suggestion was
best, and only recommended searching in the (likely) event that he couldn't
get in touch with the original owner.

Anyway, I prefer Paypal, let me know if you're a man of you word and I'll
shoot you the address to send the money to. (LOL)

Again, there is *always* a way. There are tools to bypass hard disk
passwords too, you just have to take the time to find the right one.

-Mike
(Link below)
http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/dell-tag/dell/dell.html

"Steve W." wrote in message

Well there is only one answer after all...

--
Steve W.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Yeah, but I already posted this answer (although not as well written).

Too
bad you answered it since the bet was for Mike. Now he can't win!
"Steve W." wrote in message
Step 1. Contact the previous owner of the machine. This can be

difficult
BUT you might be able to get some help from Dell if you call them

and
give them the model and service tag number. They could look up the
machine and see if it had been reported stolen or possibly give you

the
owners number (not likely but they could). Or ask them to contact

the
owner on your behalf.

Step 2. After talking to the PO you can then contact Dell and they

will
transfer ownership to you once you provide proof that you actually

own
the machine.

Step 3. Dell will then give you the master password for that machine
with that service tag. (no list of passwords since they are computer
generated at random when the machine is first built )

Step 4. Enter the correct password and have fun with the machine.

OR - Replace the motherboard with one off Ebay and hope that it

doesn't
have a password in it as well.....

Tom, I prefer cash.....

--
Steve W.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
m...
Then find the RIGHT answer and post it, not just 'could be'

answers.

Bet you $100 that you won't find it.

"Mike" wrote in message
If there wasn't *a way* to do it then proving ownership to Dell
would be
worthless because *they* would not be able to do it either.

I never said nor meant to imply that the links I posted had the
solution
for this system, they were only there as an example of some info
that's
out there.

Nearly all security systems are eventually bypassed, which is

what
keeps
security folks in business (otherwise we'd all be using the same
security
systems designed 5-10 years ago). With a system as old as his, it

is
virtual certainty that *someone* has posted how to do it
*somewhere*. Now,
finding that post is another issue, which is what I meant by the
time/patience thing. It's probably not worth it for this old

system,
but
if you're buying a C500/600 from the Salvation Army, I'm guessing
you have
more time than money. -- P.S. I don't in any way mean that as an
insult to
the OP, just saying he'd probably prefer to spend time looking

for a
solution, rather than buying another laptop.

-Mike

Usenet
News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!