Dell has changed it policy on OS disk

Old April 6th 05, 01:40 AM
Wortenheimer

BigJIm wrote:
|| Well I also purchased a Dell 1100 from the home division just 15
|| months ago and I received all the disks including the OS.

i purchased a dimension 4600 about 18 months ago and received the OS on cd.
i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought for my
girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd. i used the dell support chat to
request the cd and they told me i should receive it in 5-7 days.

Old April 6th 05, 02:43 AM
dg1261

"Wortenheimer" wrote:
i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.

Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
yours would be different from mine.

Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

Old April 6th 05, 03:10 AM
S.Lewis

"dg1261" wrote in message
om...

"Wortenheimer" wrote:
i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.

Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
yours would be different from mine.

Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

From earlier posts in this thread, it sounds as if the division from which
the system is purchased is the difference. (home/home office versus small
business).

Old April 6th 05, 03:11 AM
Wortenheimer

dg1261 wrote:
|| "Wortenheimer" wrote:
||| i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
||| for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
|| Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came
|| with the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I
|| wonder why yours would be different from mine.
|| Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner?....

it came with the single-unit cd-rw/dvd.

i haven't torn into it yet. i drove it over to my gfriend's place today and
tore the box open only to see what software came with it. i'm going to be
setting it up tomorrow.

what i did notice was, in place of an OS installation cd, there was a sheet
of paper with a graphic of such a cd on it with instructions on how to
reload the system by clicking on this or that button on the desktop.
unacceptable. i came home and internet chatted with one of their
outsourced support people who verified my order information and promised
that i'll receive the OS cd in 5-7 days.

Old April 6th 05, 03:18 AM
BigJIm

Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at boot up
you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really a computer
hacker I guess
you could burn that partition but I am not.

"dg1261" wrote in message
om...

Old April 6th 05, 04:59 AM
ZupaDupa

"PeeVee_Hermann" wrote in message
news:1112735906.fac2ddb981bd92bae9861a14927d1277@b ubbanews...
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:37:52 -0400, "Ted Zieglar"
wrote:

The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one

built
to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared

make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
television or a car or a refrigerator or...

right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
and taking them to a builder.

Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of parts.
I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are very
stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in a
nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll cost
you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.

Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of good
help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek like
me to do it for you... 8-) You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
pizza will get you.

Old April 6th 05, 05:01 AM
ZupaDupa

boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!

"Irene" wrote in message
nk.net...
First---build one

Second--Have one built to your exact specs

Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.

"PeeVee_Hermann" wrote in message
news:1112730649.7785452fc80bc3ee31a27dcaeba03903@b ubbanews...
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan wrote:

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene"
wrote:

Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
discs.

We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
are looking at big company stuff.

We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

Sony? Look elsewhere.

While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
is reported to be some of the worst support available.

In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
they'll cost you a small fortune.

Notan

OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.

then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

Old April 6th 05, 05:19 AM
Irene

Hey, support or don't support who you want. If you look, IBM was the third
choice and it is still best option of what remains after the first two.

Old April 6th 05, 05:30 AM
ZupaDupa

come to think of it, aren't all the dell systems made by the commies too?!
wonder what'll happen to tech support when the commies start lobbing
missiles into downtown taipei and we start sinking their ships?

the price of computer geeks will go through the roof! no more free advice,
cha-ching, cha-ching... as opposed to cha-chang, cha-chang now!

nk.net...

Old April 6th 05, 09:02 AM
dg1261

"BigJIm" wrote:
Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at
boot up you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really
a computer hacker I guess you could burn that partition but I am not.

No CD burner on mine, but it does have the Ctrl+F11 hidden restore
partition. There are a few registry keys I can't identify:

(HKLM...RunOnce key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe /2
(HKLM...Run key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe
(HKLM...Run key) "BuildBU" c:\dell\bldbubg.exe

I don't see any evidence they do anything at startup, but perhaps they
silently bail if they don't find a CD burner in this machine? Since yours
came with a burner, do you have any desktop shortcut or a start menu
shortcut for the purpose of creating restore CDs?