OT Freeware Partition software

Old November 13th 08, 06:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Craven Moorhead

Default OT Freeware Partition software

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

I think I should have been more clear.

I need to NON-DESTRUCTIVELY repartition.

http://www.partition-tool.com/

I've used it and it works a treat; just download the Home Edition.

Old November 13th 08, 07:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

S.Lewis wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
I need to repartition a boot drive on an XP Pro laptop. Any suggestions
of freeware to do it?

Thanks,

Tom

I take it you don't have a copy of Partition Magic around - or you wouldn't
have asked. ?

Personally...this is just my opinion...for something as vital as disk
operations, I would not use software from someone who has no financial
incentive to make sure it works properly. I realize others feel differently.

Of the for-pay partition managers, I use Acronis Disk Director. Then
again, I hardly pay anything for software because I wait until it's
offered for free or almost free (after rebates, natch.) Let's see...the
last time I actually paid for anti-malware software was during the
Clinton administration.

But I digress. Symantec seems to have abandoned Partition Magic, but I
have no love for Symantec anyway. If you don't need a lot of hand
holding, BootItNG is excellent software and very reasonably priced as well.

Daddy

Daddy
Old November 13th 08, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Daddy" wrote in message

S.Lewis wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not a huge fan of PM, but I have a couple of older versions that I use
only when other options aren't ideal.

I've caused some hellacious messes with PM experiments in the past. It was
great.

Old November 13th 08, 09:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

S.Lewis wrote:
"Daddy" wrote in message

S.Lewis wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]

Speaking of Partition Magic...

I still have my PowerQuest Partition Magic v.8 install CD. Even have the
update to version 8.1.

The reason I removed it in favor of (Acronis) Disk Director is that I
read somewhere that the original PowerQuest software, not having been
updated for years, may not be compatible with newer hardware. Is this
correct, or was I having a 'senior moment'?

Daddy
Old November 13th 08, 09:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

Daddy wrote:

S.Lewis wrote:
"Daddy" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]

It's newer operating systems that it may not be compatible with. Norton
still sells it, but lists only up to XP for compatible systems. Whether
it can handle Vista's NTFS is unclear.
Old November 13th 08, 10:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"Pen" wrote in message
Daddy wrote:

S.Lewis wrote:
"Daddy" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]

I used V 8.0 to partition my Vista machine.....no problem

Old November 13th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"olfart" wrote in message

"Pen" wrote in message
Daddy wrote:

S.Lewis wrote:
"Daddy" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]

^^^ This is why I pay exorbitant annual fees to be part of this newsgroup.
^^^

That's good info to know.

Old November 14th 08, 02:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Pen wrote:
Daddy wrote:

S.Lewis wrote:
"Daddy" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]

I actually 'wrote' too soon.

Symantec has not updated the original PQ version since 2003, and has not
announced plans to update it in the future. Partition Magic's
limitations are described in the technical support part of Symantec's
website.

Daddy
Old November 14th 08, 04:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 02:08:40 GMT, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

I need to repartition a boot drive on an XP Pro laptop. Any suggestions
of freeware to do it?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, I imagine by now, with all the replies in this thread, you have
the solution. I'm surprised tho that you don't own or have this type
software in your software tool box. It's not needed often but when
you do need it, this software is invaluable. In any case, if you go
the commercial route, I'd recommend Acronis from my own experiences.
Whatever you decide to use, keep it handy for all your other pc's and
laptops because sooner or later, you'll need it again.
Old November 14th 08, 11:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:02 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: OT Freeware Partition software
Subject: OT Freeware Partition software

wrote:

I need to repartition a boot drive on an XP Pro laptop. Any

suggestions
of freeware to do it?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, I imagine by now, with all the replies in this thread, you have
the solution. I'm surprised tho that you don't own or have this type
software in your software tool box. It's not needed often but when
you do need it, this software is invaluable. In any case, if you go
the commercial route, I'd recommend Acronis from my own experiences.
Whatever you decide to use, keep it handy for all your other pc's and
laptops because sooner or later, you'll need it again.

I own Partition Magic. Just couldn't put my hands on the disk!