Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (MacOS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?

Old January 22nd 13, 07:08 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

Default Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros(Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?

On 1/18/2013 1:15 PM PT, Michael Vilain typed:

Buy it and try it. It's only $11.59 with shipping. Report back on how
well it works on what systems you tried it on. Don't know how this will
jive with the control signals and the rest. If you print something to a
parallel printer, the data comes over strobed at a certain rate or
there's likely a "stop/start" sending data line. Serial printers used
XON/XOFF character protocol to do this. I don't know how USB printers
work but if it's just an extension of parallel printer, you might be
half way there. Inside MacOS X, the printing system just sends print
file to a device. If it's a USB printer, then it's a different sort of
file than if it's a laser printer that uses Postscript or an emulator.

Ultimately, inside MacOS X, you'd need a parallel port printer 'driver'
to create the proper type of output to send to the device.

You may end up sending this back, but try it and report to us.

OK, so we tried a GearHead parallel+USB adapter cable
(http://pcgearhead.com/iFrame/usb-hubs.php?PrdID=1217 ) from a local
retail store to replace the old parallel printer cable on two different
MacBook Pros (15" 2008 model with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 13.3" mid-2012
model with Mac OS X 10.8.2). Both of them detected the printer correctly
(10.5.8 didn't even ask to download; 10.8.2 asked me to download HP
drivers first).

Print Tests in Mac OS X:

V10.5.8 seems to sit forever even though the printer was waiting. Here's
a screen shot/capture of it in action: http://i.imgur.com/ws9tRys.gif ...

V10.8.2 actually prints, but it's all printer/computer codes or whatever
and nonstop even though it was only ONE page with one line ("test 123"
in Office's Word!). We had to shut the printer off to stop since Mac OS
X's printer options and disconnecting USB cable could stop it.

So, does this mean this won't work at all or something else? Thank you
in advance.
--
"What, like I had to live with all those ants? Do you know what I did to
those ants? HoooHooo! No more ants!" --unknown
Old January 22nd 13, 02:24 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 1/22/2013 5:58 AM PT, Michael Vilain typed:

This is what I suspected. The printing system doesn't know how to
create the proper output for the printer. The 'drivers' work for serial
or network attached printers but not parallel printers.

The serial-to-parallel conversion boxes for UNIX boxes were more
elaborate than a mere cable. Since there's no more 'serial' ports on
Mac, the ability to generate the proper output and send it to the
printer seems to be limited to network transfer or direct transfer over
USB.

So, the USB+parallel adapter description is false/inaccurate/misleading
to support old parallel printers?

It's your call on how much time you want to spend to get this printer
working. Can you even still get parts for it? At best, you might have
to buy a PC with a parallel port, setup a print server in an older
version of Windows that has remote printing features, and use that as a
print server to use this machine.

Or you could just recycle this printer and buy one that 'just works'.

Yeah, I told my client that others and I say using this printer isn't
worth it anymore since it is from the 1990s/90s. Yeah, it works like a
tank but it is time move on! He didn't want to do a print server either.
He just wanted a direct hookup to his MBPs. Whatever. Here, we proved it
that it failed on two MBPs with it.
--
"Even the sharpest ear cannot hear an ant singing." --Sudanese
| |o o| |
Old January 22nd 13, 03:20 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Wayne C. Morris

In article ,
Michael Vilain wrote:

In article ,
Ant wrote:

[...]

I doubt that's the problem. A printer driver shouldn't know or care whether the
printer is serial, parallel, USB, or ethernet. It only has to translate the
output into the printer's special language.

My old HP 5MP is connected to a Windows PC. I have no problem printing to it
from my Mac (OS 10.6.8) -- EXCEPT when I try to print from Photoshop CS3, it
spits out pages and pages with a few lines of nonsense, like Ant reported
getting from Mac OS 10.8.2.
Old January 22nd 13, 03:22 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Jim Janney

Michael Vilain writes:

It's your call on how much time you want to spend to get this printer
working. Can you even still get parts for it? At best, you might have
to buy a PC with a parallel port, setup a print server in an older
version of Windows that has remote printing features, and use that as a
print server to use this machine.

You can buy dedicated network print servers for under $50. I used to
use a D-Link model that could be configured through an HTTP interface.
I had to set it up manually in CUPS but otherwise it worked well enough.

--
Jim Janney

Old January 22nd 13, 11:08 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
David Empson

JF Mezei wrote:

On 13-01-22 02:08, Ant wrote:

model with Mac OS X 10.8.2). Both of them detected the printer correctly
(10.5.8 didn't even ask to download; 10.8.2 asked me to download HP
drivers first).

This is cool. This means that OS-X supports parallel printers out of the
box without needing foomatic (as required for serial printers)

V10.5.8 seems to sit forever even though the printer was waiting. Here's
a screen shot/capture of it in action: http://i.imgur.com/ws9tRys.gif ...

The fact that your system detected the printer type indicates that
bidirectional communications did hapen. (Printer was able to send its
make/model back to computer).

So the "Connecting" status could be due to the mac talking the wrong
language to the printer or not having the proper statup sequence.

V10.8.2 actually prints, but it's all printer/computer codes or whatever
and nonstop even though it was only ONE page with one line ("test 123"

The "all printer/computer codes or whatever" is important here. Is it
gibberish with lots of non alphanumeric characters , or does the output
consist of alphanumeric characters ?

For instance, if the Mac sends postscript to a printer that doesn't do
postscript, the postcript "program" will end up being printed instead of
executed by the printer. Your page print for the MacBook Pro 2008
indicates your mac believes this to be a postscript printer.

You should try to get the printer to self print its own
test/configuration page. This should indicate whether it has postscript
of just HP's own printer language. If the printer does not have
postscript, you should delete the printer from the mac, and manually
create it, selecting a model that does not have postscript so that the
Mac will translate output to HP's own language instead of sending it
postscript.

For reference: out of the box, the HP LaserJet 6P is not a Postscript
printer, but you could add an HP-supplied SIMM which included 1 MB of
RAM and the Postscript interpreter in ROM.

The HP LaserJet 6MP came with that Postscript SIMM preinstalled. I have
this model (still working for occasional use with OS X 10.8.2, via an HP
JetDirect EX network print server). The front panel of the printer says
"HP LaserJet 6MP", but it identifies itself as an "HP LaserJet 6P" for
network protocols like AppleTalk.

A useless "advertised features" page can be printed by pressing the Go
button (the one with the diamond and a line in the middle). This also
says "HP LaserJet 6MP" on mine.

A page or two of self-test information can be printed by pressing the Go
button while holding down the Job Cancel button. The first page includes
details like the page count, memory installed and whether it has
Postscript. If Postscript is installed, the second page prints the
Postscript configuration.

If you have a LaserJet 6P without Postscript, Mac OS X needs to use the
PCL driver instead of the Postscript driver. If it autodetected the
printer and thought it was Postscript, that might be a bug in the
automatic identification algorithm (assuming all HP LaserJet 6Ps are
actually 6MPs or at least have the Postscript SIMM).

If the printer really does have Postscript but it isn't working, a
compatibility problem with the parallel adapter seems the most likely
cause.

--
David Empson

Old January 23rd 13, 12:58 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant

Actually, it doesn't care about the connection type BUT it does care
about the type of output. USB printers use their own 'language' to
create the output plus a hardware connection. Networked printers have
plethora of different languages like PCL or Postscript. The 'driver'
has to deal with both. In the olden days, it was all just characters
sent however either through serial or parallel ports. That evolved to a
file of this data being shipped over the network to the printer.

The 10.8.2 could manage the file transfer but the output was screwy.
10.5 couldn't even get the file over.

If this were a specialized printer like something that drives a high-end
process printing system, it might be worth it to spend the MONTHS to
write drivers. It's the OP's call on that.

I don't know if a HP LaserJet 6P printer is a high-end process printing
system. It is from the 1990s/90s. Heh! Speaking of drivers,
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Pri...o/td-p/2342703
replies told me to download and install HP drivers. Uhh, 10.8.2 offered
to give me drivers when I connected the printer! Isn't it the same?
10.5.8 didn't, but it did detect the printer's name and picture
correctly! I guess I could try downloading the big driver sets, install,
and reboot (did not reboot since I wasn't asked to last night).

Or you could recycle this thing and buy one that just works.

Yeah.
--
Quote of the Week: "Do not kill ants. They are your best friends." --Joe Brainard
| |o o| |
Old January 23rd 13, 01:01 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant

In comp.periphs.printers Jim Janney wrote:
Michael Vilain writes:

It's your call on how much time you want to spend to get this printer
working. Can you even still get parts for it? At best, you might have
to buy a PC with a parallel port, setup a print server in an older
version of Windows that has remote printing features, and use that as a
print server to use this machine.

You can buy dedicated network print servers for under $50. I used to
use a D-Link model that could be configured through an HTTP interface.
I had to set it up manually in CUPS but otherwise it worked well enough.

No servers. Just direct links.
Old January 23rd 13, 01:04 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant

[...]

Alphanumerical characters IIRC. And it goes forever.

For instance, if the Mac sends postscript to a printer that doesn't do
postscript, the postcript "program" will end up being printed instead of
executed by the printer. Your page print for the MacBook Pro 2008
indicates your mac believes this to be a postscript printer.

You should try to get the printer to self print its own
test/configuration page. This should indicate whether it has postscript
of just HP's own printer language. If the printer does not have
postscript, you should delete the printer from the mac, and manually
create it, selecting a model that does not have postscript so that the
Mac will translate output to HP's own language instead of sending it
postscript.

Rats, I just did that last night (readable) but didn't look to see if it
was postscript or not. So I should manually add LaserJet 6P without its
PostScript? If not, then which one? That's a question.
Old January 23rd 13, 05:30 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

[...]

More useful(?) results tonight:

http://i.imgur.com/tTdvOk4.gif -- Self Test/Configuration Printout --
Note its 2 MB of RAM and nothing about PostScript.

Tried the provided driver with Gutenprint v5.1.3 in Mac OS X 10.5.8 this
time (will try 10.8.2 later on since I am tired right now from a long
work day):
http://i.imgur.com/XDDjcyw.png
http://i.imgur.com/wr3gOHn.png
http://i.imgur.com/daJ8pca.png (3 MB is the smallest in its list!)
Still can't print anything (stuck).

I give up for now. Hopefully, these reveal more details for you guys.
--
"An ant's nest could bring down a hill." --Japanese
| |o o| |
Old January 23rd 13, 05:38 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 1/22/2013 3:08 PM PT, David Empson typed:

A useless "advertised features" page can be printed by pressing the Go
button (the one with the diamond and a line in the middle). This also
says "HP LaserJet 6MP" on mine.

A page or two of self-test information can be printed by pressing the Go
button while holding down the Job Cancel button. The first page includes
details like the page count, memory installed and whether it has
Postscript. If Postscript is installed, the second page prints the
Postscript configuration.

If you have a LaserJet 6P without Postscript, Mac OS X needs to use the
PCL driver instead of the Postscript driver. If it autodetected the
printer and thought it was Postscript, that might be a bug in the
automatic identification algorithm (assuming all HP LaserJet 6Ps are
actually 6MPs or at least have the Postscript SIMM).

OK, it looks like this LaserJet 6P does not come with PostScript from
its printout and only has 2 MB (no SIMMs) according to its scanned one
page print out: http://i.imgur.com/tTdvOk4.gif ....

FYI from more fiddling tonight in the old MBP's Mac OS X 10.5.8 only. I
did not download and install the linked drivers yet. I tried the
provided driver with Gutenprint v5.1.3 in Mac OS X 10.5.8 this time
(will try 10.8.2 later on since I am tired right now from a long work day):
http://i.imgur.com/XDDjcyw.png
http://i.imgur.com/wr3gOHn.png
http://i.imgur.com/daJ8pca.png (3 MB is the smallest in its list!)
Still can't print anything (stuck).

I give up for now. Hopefully, these reveal more details for you guys.
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
| |o o| |