Does my Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Have Bluetooth capability?

Old May 12th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

Default Does my Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Have Bluetooth capability?

All the visible indications would lead me to ask "How do I get the
Bluetooth to work?". But after doing a search of this newsgroup I now
see that I really need to ask."Does my notebook contain bluetooth
hardware?"
Because if it doesn't I might be a long time in trying to get it to
connect.
TIA
Jayne Bartram

Old May 13th 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Dudley Pumperdinkel

Start/control panel/systems/hardware/device manager..
Look for Bluetooth devices..The software should be listed
under Add/Remove in Control Panel..There might even
be a blue device icon in the Task tray..Sometimes the
software is by Widcomm and can be searched for..With Acer
notebooks there is usually a button on the front of the
notebook to turn it on or off..It has to have codes set up
for each device..Luck

ups.com...

Old May 13th 07, 08:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

Dudley Pumperdinkel wrote:
Start/control panel/systems/hardware/device manager..
Look for Bluetooth devices.

It's there, though perhaps only because I installed the driver trying
to get Bluetooth to function.
It's immediately under "Computer" near the top, on it's own and not
within any hardware group.
In the driver sub-section it has the "uninstall" button grayed out, so
I can't uninstall it, though I can update or reinstall.

The icon is in the System Tray but it will only respond "Bluetooth
Device Not Found" and there are no configuration options anywhere,
including via the desktop icon, system tray icon, or Control panel
icon.
Similarly, when I try to get my phone software to make a connection
between the phone and computer, It fails at the point where it tries
to find suitable devices. Same goes for a direct search for connection
by the phone

My friend ran some diagnostic software on the computer and found a
refererence to internal Bluetooth hardware
in the form of:
Bluetooth: Hardware ID {95C7A0A0-3094-11D7-A202-00508B9D7D5A}\BTKRNL
So, it seems that the makings are there, even though the Bluetooth
slider-button on the front of the notebook shows not a glimmer.

I would have little doubt about Bluetooth viability on this computer,
if it wasn't for the several earlier threads I've read suggesting that
the presence of Bluetooth buttons and bows is no guarantee of
Bluetooth capability.

..The software should be listed
under Add/Remove in Control Panel..There might even
be a blue device icon in the Task tray..Sometimes the
software is by Widcomm and can be searched for..With Acer
notebooks there is usually a button on the front of the
notebook to turn it on or off..It has to have codes set up
for each device..Luck

wrote in message
ups.com...
All the visible indications would lead me to ask "How do I get the
Bluetooth to work?". But after doing a search of this newsgroup I now
see that I really need to ask."Does my notebook contain bluetooth
hardware?"
Because if it doesn't I might be a long time in trying to get it to
connect.
TIA
Jayne Bartram

Thanks for the help,
Jayne Bartram

Old May 13th 07, 01:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

zack wrote:
wrote in news:1178997130.533854.256140
@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

All the visible indications would lead me to ask "How do I get the
Bluetooth to work?". But after doing a search of this newsgroup I now
see that I really need to ask."Does my notebook contain bluetooth
hardware?"
Because if it doesn't I might be a long time in trying to get it to
connect. TIA
Jayne Bartram

my aspire 5000 came with the bluetooth software already
installed but they do no install a bluetooth card
inside the machine, i think that is a bloody con.

Yes I think that's what bemused me. I can understand how Acer might
use a notebook case with a Bluetooth button on it which doesn't work
because there's no Bluetooth inside. Though this kind of tease can't
be good for customer morale. However it does seem to be taking the
Mickey a bit to have the software factory installed as well, if it
can't be used. Not that this is necessarily the way things really are.
Just the way they seem at the moment.

but you do not need the software supplied by acer
i use an 02 bluetooth with its own software.

Yes, at least there's that solution but it would be so much nicer to
have the doings inside the case. It really is a tidier option to be
able use wireless LAN without having to plug in a card, for instance.

Jayne

Old May 13th 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
litefrozen

In article .com, wrote:

zack wrote:
[...]

My Aspire 5100 is the same way .It has the drivers for the bluetooth and the switch, but doesnt have the hardware.

Acer's mostly are loaded with the same factory software package, it has all the stuff needed to run the fully loaded model.
So if you get a model that doesnt have the hardware, it still has the software for it loaded on it.

Like mine had the stuff for a lightscribe burner, but no lightscribe burner.

Old May 13th 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

Christopher Syn wrote:
what use is the phone connected to the bluetooth?

As I understand it, Bluetooth provides a 2 way wireless channel of
communication for the passage of data between the phone and the
computer. So, if this route is functional, it's of some use for this
purpose.
I guess even Acer must have seen this as a viable mode of connection
at some stage, or there wouldn't be a Bluetooth button on the front of
my notebook computer.

Jayne

Old May 13th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Dudley Pumperdinkel

You can post a question to Acer/PANAM listing all
your info..and wait, and wait and then they will answer
via e-mail and give you a time etc..It's not easy because
in my opinion, the Acer US site is FUBAR.You could
try the Acer Europe site.. Or if you really want to have
Bluetooth, go to the local Best Buy and buy yourself
a "dongle" which plugs into a USB port and comes
with software..Be advised though that your using device
must me BT capable..Some cellphones are..some are
not..Your device must have the module inside its software..
Your "dongle" software is sure to have dial-up-networking.
Then in order to have BT find your device, your device
must be in the "discover" mode which allows others
to see your device..You will have to have passcodes
which are usually 000. I use mine for "dial-up-networking"
with my VZW cellphone at about 100 kb/sec. download.
Example: I go into Starbucks and put my phone in the
discover mode via BT and all the phones and devices
with BT show up on my phone..Also Target, Walmart,
etc. If you see it in device manager, it should be in the
computer..The softtware also needs to be there AND
installed. Luck

Old May 13th 07, 11:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
litefrozen

In article , Christopher Syn wrote:

what use is the phone connected to the bluetooth?

For updating the phone software, ringtones, downloading photos, text messages,internet content, email etc.
which many phones handle now.