Smallest microSD USB Stick reader

Old October 26th 06, 01:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
neilsanner

Default Smallest microSD USB Stick reader

Hi,

Ever thought of owning an upgradable and small USB Flash drive?

I'm looking for the Smallest microSD (OR miniSD) USB Stick reader with
a hole for a keyring or lanyard. By smallest, I mean a drive that can
be easily inserted when other USB devices are plugged. This is an
example of a drive with the size I'm looking for:
Lexar Jumpdrive Sport Portable USB Flash Drive:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?...

Until now I've found these, but I'd like a better match:

*IOGear Pocket Card Reader (GFR201TF):
-I'm not sure if it's small enough.
-No hole for a keyring
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=p...F&name=Pocket%...

*Alfa Media MCCR:
-Too small!!
-Seems fragile
-No hole for a keyring
http://alfa-media.com/products/mccr.html

Better luck then me?

NeilSanner

Old October 26th 06, 02:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul Rubin

"neilsanner" writes:
I'm looking for the Smallest microSD (OR miniSD) USB Stick reader with
a hole for a keyring or lanyard. By smallest, I mean a drive that can
be easily inserted when other USB devices are plugged. This is an

Why do you care about using microsd or minisd? There are some really
tiny dedicated flash drives out there.

I don't see the little rectangular Kingmax drives any more. I hope
they're not discontinued. I have a 256MB one and it's great and I
figured I'd pick up a bigger one sometime. I think it does have
a keyring hole but I instead stick it in my wallet's coin pouch.
Old October 26th 06, 03:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously neilsanner wrote:
Hi,

Ever thought of owning an upgradable and small USB Flash drive?

I'm looking for the Smallest microSD (OR miniSD) USB Stick reader with
a hole for a keyring or lanyard. By smallest, I mean a drive that can
be easily inserted when other USB devices are plugged.

I think you should get an USB memory stick, not a reader for memory
devices with some other interface. Since 80% of the cost (or so) is
the memory chip, using a drive and external memory device does not
make too much sense. Unless you use the memory device in some
other things as well, e.g. a camera. Another problem is that if
you want to upgrade in, say, 3 years, it is quite possible that
the interface used on the memory device has gone out of fashion and
the card is more expensive than a new USB stick....

BTW, since using a memory device with a different interface and
then using an to-USB converter does not really make sense, the
term "USB drive" usually refers to a memory stick with USB
interface. What you look for is usually called a "card reader".
Allmost all of them have USB interface.

This is an
example of a drive with the size I'm looking for:
Lexar Jumpdrive Sport Portable USB Flash Drive:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?...

Until now I've found these, but I'd like a better match:

*IOGear Pocket Card Reader (GFR201TF):
-I'm not sure if it's small enough.
-No hole for a keyring
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=p...F&name=Pocket%...

*Alfa Media MCCR:
-Too small!!
-Seems fragile
-No hole for a keyring
http://alfa-media.com/products/mccr.html

Better luck then me?

Use a small memory stick: Sandisk Cruzer Micro is pretty small
and very rugged.

Arno
Old October 26th 06, 04:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Impmon

On 26 Oct 2006 05:39:20 -0700, "neilsanner"
wrote:

Better luck then me?

There is a Lexar firefly that is very small, smaller than a quarter.
I can't recall if it has a keyring hole or not. I see them at Walmart
so next time you visit one, check it out. They come in a huge plastic
case (shoplifter determent) with mostly yellow cardboard back.

AFAIK there is no stand alone mini or micro SD to USB adapter around,
only standard SD adapter. I do have a multi-card reader that can take
mini SD (and Sony Duo) without the need for SD adapter. But it's not
small.

IMO micro SD is just too small for everyday use. It should be left in
whatever device you got it for and not taken out except to upgrade or
replace. I'm surprised the micro SC package I see doesn't come with a
choking hazard warning at all, one would think a 1 year old somewhere
has tried to eat the tiny card.
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
Old October 26th 06, 06:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
neilsanner

My goal was to save money and have a slim usb storage device. Aren't
microSD and miniSD cheaper than usb drives in general?

NeilSanner

On Oct 26, 11:13 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously neilsanner wrote:
Hi,
Ever thought of owning an upgradable and small USB Flash drive?
I'm looking for the Smallest microSD (OR miniSD) USB Stick reader with
a hole for a keyring or lanyard. By smallest, I mean a drive that can
be easily inserted when other USB devices are plugged.I think you should get an USB memory stick, not a reader for memory

Old October 26th 06, 08:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Impmon

On 26 Oct 2006 10:52:19 -0700, "neilsanner"
wrote:

My goal was to save money and have a slim usb storage device. Aren't
microSD and miniSD cheaper than usb drives in general?

By itself, yes. But when you add in the USB reader, the cost comes a
little closer to being the same as USB drives.

For your plan, IMO it would be better to use USB drive rather than
separate SD card and reader.. The reader can eventually fail from
repeated uses due to worn or corroded contacts and when you consider
reader has 2 sets of contacts (one for USB side and one for card
side), reader could fail sooner than USB drives.

There is also a "smart" version of USB drive. The connector has
something like 10 contacts and can be taken advantage of in laptops
with this feature and also works fine in standard USB port. I have
seen them, the whole thing is about the side of mini SD card.

There are also special version of SD card that works like standard SD
card but has a flip over connector to reveal built in USB plug that
can be used directly in USB without the need for a reader.
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
Old October 26th 06, 10:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul Rubin

"neilsanner" writes:
My goal was to save money and have a slim usb storage device. Aren't
microSD and miniSD cheaper than usb drives in general?

Not as a general rule.
Old October 27th 06, 12:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously neilsanner wrote:
My goal was to save money and have a slim usb storage device. Aren't
microSD and miniSD cheaper than usb drives in general?

A bit. Not much. Incuding the reader you will probably have to pay
more. And you cannot be sure the reader will work for the next
memory size you want. If you want a eally slim device, there are
some for USB.

Arno
Old October 28th 06, 05:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
neilsanner

Thanks y'all!

The PQI intelligent-stick is something that would fit my needs I think.
I mean, a 2GB usb stick which fits in my wallet...Wow!

Thank you all for the suggestions and the help!

Have a great weekend!
Neilsanner

On Oct 26, 8:06 pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously neilsanner wrote:
My goal was to save money and have a slim usb storage device. Aren't
microSD and miniSD cheaper than usb drives in general?A bit. Not much. Incuding the reader you will probably have to pay