Old July 9th 10, 11:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Default Marginal OEM Power Supply

Robert Myers wrote:
On Jun 22, 4:31 pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Glad you like it, I have been thinking of a 930 for a KVM server, drop in 12GB
of RAM and 4TB of cheap disk and put all the boring little 512m servers on Earth
on it.

Everything now goes through this 64-bit Windows desktop, including a
virtual 64-bit Fedora 13 and a virtual 32-bit Windows XP Professional,
with a Cygwin X-server handling graphical output from other Linux
boxes. The virtualized machines, both Windows and Linux running
simultaneously, are at least as snappy as Windows and Linux running on
E8200 and E8400 Core 2 Duo. I wish someone made affordable 4Gb DDR3
non-ECC, since memory is the only thing that is ever remotely in short
supply. The virtualized XP Professional will allow me to decommission
a separate box running XP just to support a handful of legacy XP
programs.

That's one of the reasons I'm looking at an i7-930 and Asus m/b for a hosting
system, I can get to 12GB with cheap memory. On the other hand, the i7-875
unlocked is cheap and allows o/c by use of multiplier. But no cheap memory
there, need 4GB parts. I'm tempted to build a host machine with Xeons and ECC
memory, slightly more reliable and all, but I think slower.

Lots of ways to go, each with a drawback. :-(