Old April 27th 21, 02:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
a[_6_]

Default How to set ICC profile?

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 06:57:10 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:50:29 +0200, a wrote as underneath
:

hallo,

- I'm with:
HP officejet 6830 pro
Windows 10 Home

- my aim:
save black ink

- how accomplish that:
I think (if I'm not wrong...)
it could be accomplished
by using an icc profile (edited by me)
where I substitute the 'black' color with a 'dark grey' color
and then
by telling the printer to use this icc profile,
so the printer will never print blak
and will always print dark grey

- answer:
is this method correct?
(if it is correct, I will ask you few questions
on how to tell my printer to use this new icc profile)

Have you thought of using a Print manager software, FinePrint is an
example but I'm sure if you hunt around there are others. Just reducing
K may alter all your other printed colours in ways you dont expect! C+

'Fine print' doesn't allow to reduce the 'quantity' of ink ('saturation' or
'lightness' of the black color...).
And actually I don't know any printer manager (free) that is able to do
this... If you know I'll give a try.

But trying to edit and install an icc file
is very interesting to me... :

I saw from Windows 10 'Control Panel''Color Manager'
that my HP printer uses two .icc files
(one for Black&White and another for Color).

I duplicated the Color file, opened it with an editor called 'Delcotec'
and tried to change what I think is the black value.
Then saved the new .icc file and installed it in Windows 10.

Then from the Windows 10 'Color Manager' panel
I told the HP printer to use this new .icc file (telling it is the default
profile now),
I printed a testing page but nothing has changed :-( .

Note:
I also duplicated the Black&White icc file
and tried to edit it,
but I was not able to find and change the black value.