Old March 13th 21, 01:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default Why is this HDD so small?

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 06:21:55, Paul wrote (my
[]
We had some frauds, USB sticks in "1TB and 2TB size", which,
right away, is a "danger Will Robinson" clue. Then, when you
discover the price is $10 or $15, that cinches it, that it's
a fraud. $15 will buy you a 16GB or maybe a 32GB stick, but
not a 2TB stick.

[]
And HDDs in 1 and 2 TB sizes with silly low prices.

If the listing says anything about "cannot be partitioned", or any
limitation on what OSs (such as "Windows only" or "not compatible with
Linux"), that used to be a red flag that it was capacity-faked.

Seemed to be only 1 or 2 TB - not larger; I think the hack they had
discovered that made them appear bigger than they are only worked for
those two sizes. (But of course bigger-appearing fakes will appear in
time, I'm sure.)

There was an article where someone had opened up one of the cheap
external portable drives - it just contained a USB stick; plus a couple
of steel bolts glued inside the case to make it feel satisfyingly heavy!
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The average age at which a woman has her first child has passed 30.
Jason Cowley, RT 2016/6/11-17