Old May 6th 05, 07:56 AM
simple minded

On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:27:16 +1000, "Michael Brown"
wrote:

brian wrote:
Does anyone have any experiences with either the Antec TPII 550EPS12V
or the Cooler Master Real Power 550 power supplies?

They both are rated at 550 watts, with ATX 12V 2.01 and EPS 12V 2.1.
The Cooler Master has a power output meter and a blue fan, so I am
kind of leaning towards it.

Depends whether you want power/known-good or style

The first thing to note is that the Antec has one huge 12V rail, and the
CoolerMaster has a 3-way split.

Actually, the old Antec TRUE 550 EPS had the 36A 12v rail.

+5V 40A
+12V 36A ========
+3.3V 32A

-5V 0.5A
-12V 1.0A

The new Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V version has dual 19A 12v
rails for a slightly higher total (in theory).

+5V 40A
+12V1 19A =======
+12V2 19A ======
+3.3V 32A

+5SB 2.0A
-12V 1.0A

* +5V, +3.3V, +12V1, 12V2 maximum output 530 Watts max. ! ! ! ! !

Notice that 530Watts max. If you add up the max individual loads
you'd think you were getting

5x40= 200watts
12x19= 228watts
12x19= 228watts
3.3x32=105.6watts
761.6 watts not even counting the junk rails.

Gee you'd think it was a stereo or something

Personally, I'd want to hook my mega slam dunk video card to a 36A 12V
rail. Especially considering those so called high power supplies are
putting out a lot less than you'd think.

But the good news is you can still buy a GREAT 600WATT POWER SUPPLY
for $20 according to the EXPERTS. insert long laugh here