Old August 4th 09, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Pete Zahut

Default UPDATE Acer Aspire 5630 Laptop screen/display problem

Hi Mark,

All I can say is Ebay for the cable and then download a manual from here

http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-lapto...uals/#toc-acer

HTH,

Pete

malarky wrote:
Hi Pete,

I've got exactly the same fault with my beloved 5920g as you had...
one day the screen just seemed to be squeezed into part of the TFT.
All of the desktop is displayed but a fair portion of the screen is
black down one side. I was massively relieved to see you had found a
solution, but having looked for a cable in the UK and failed... I'm
starting to lose hope.

Any suggestions for where I can track one down, and what the
procedure is to replace it?

Cheers,

Mark.

Pete Zahut wrote:

Fixer wrote:
"Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote in message
Paul wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote:
Got the above laptop and it's just developed a problem
with the
screen/display - there's a 65mm column at the
right-hand side of
the display that's gone dark. Applications open up
properly and
you can see the whole width of the app, but it doesn't
go the
whole width of the screen - sort of full display but
not full
screen if you see what I mean. Also, don't know if
it's relevant
or not but the taskbar at the bottom seems to be twice
as tall as
normal and isn't drag-able back to it's usual size -
cursor also
distorts in this area. I'm not explaining it very
well, so have a
look at this photo:

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=laptop1.jpg

At first I thought it may be a display driver issue
but I've
uninstalled and reinstalled without success. I've also
used a
program called #1-TuffTest Pro
(http://www.tufftest.com/ttp01.htm)
that is self-booting, operating system independent and
never goes
anywhere near Windows, but shows the same results, so
I would say
that that rules out any Windows driver issues. Picture
of that test
he

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=laptop2.jpg

Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?

TIA,

Pete

Have you done a graphics driver update recently ?

No - uninstalled and reinstalled driver to try to fix the
problem,
but not updated.

It looks like a mismatch, between the actual LCD panel,
and what the software thinks it is driving.

Paul

Yeah, I'd agree with you there Paul - except for the fact that
I've
even used the Recovery CD/Partition to restore the laptop to
the
state it was in when it left the factory and the display is
still
faulty even then.

Ok the way to tell if its hardware or software causing the
problem
is when the machine starts to boot drop into the BIOS whatever it
is
for your laptop, F2 for Dells , Del for some others but anyway
whatever it is for your machine. If the problem is there in when
you
look in the BIOS its the LCD panel or Cable or Motherboard port.
IF
it's not there then it's a driver/application, error. Of course
you
could also connect it to an external monitor and again if its
there
then its the grapghics card or motherboard port or
software/drivers
and if its not there then it's the LCD or cable

Fixer, I owe you a pint - a £12GBP secondhand LCD cable from Ebay
sorted the
problem. Thanks very much mate, and to all who took the time to try
and
help
o)

Pete

--

Follow

alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
threads | with your Firefox Live Bookmarks! Set it up at
| http://www.1-script.com/forums/ |