MacOS on a Pentium?

Old November 29th 03, 04:02 PM
Scott Ehrlich

Default MacOS on a Pentium?

I have a P3 1 Ghz w/128Meg RAM Intel board and would like to get MacOS
installed on it.

I'd prefer a hardware solution (no room for a real Mac), so if a PCI
card exists, please point me to it. Otherwise, what are my
Linux/Windows options for Macintosh "emulation" for all OS 8/9
applications?

Thanks.

Scott
Old November 29th 03, 08:02 PM
GHalleck

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

I have a P3 1 Ghz w/128Meg RAM Intel board and would like to get MacOS
installed on it.

I'd prefer a hardware solution (no room for a real Mac), so if a PCI
card exists, please point me to it. Otherwise, what are my
Linux/Windows options for Macintosh "emulation" for all OS 8/9
applications?

Thanks.

Scott

Interesting request but, in the end, still better off to get a real Mac. And
space limitations? Seen the iMacs and their low, profile design? Nor would
using emulation, if possible, be all that successful due to the added overhead
of running the emulator window. As for the Mac apps, which ones? There
are no Windows versions of these?

Old November 30th 03, 01:06 PM
Peter Perlsø

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
I have a P3 1 Ghz w/128Meg RAM Intel board and would like to get MacOS
installed on it.

Aside from Darwin (the OSS part of OS X), I think you have no chance
inhell of running Mac OS on a x86 PC. Apart from some old crust 68K
emulatos, and they're only on interest for historical reasons. Like, if
you want to play "The Colony".

If you want to experience with OS X/Linux PPC, go find a cheap 2nd hand
iMac. Not too expensive.

--

- Peter Perls¿ - web: http://u238.dk

"If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies
at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they
take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves."

-- Thomas Sowell (1992)

Old November 30th 03, 10:23 PM
David Magda

GHalleck writes:

Interesting request but, in the end, still better off to get a real
Mac. And space limitations? Seen the iMacs and their low, profile

Or one of the laptops. A 12" iBook is quite small and quite. Though
the price premium of getting a laptop may be questionable.

design? Nor would using emulation, if possible, be all that
successful due to the added overhead of running the emulator
window. As for the Mac apps, which ones? There are no Windows
versions of these?

Well, you can emulate a PC on the Mac with VirtualPC. Though it
doesn't (yet?) run on the newest systems with the "G5" processor.

--
David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca, http://www.magda.ca/
Old December 1st 03, 04:34 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"David Magda" wrote in message
GHalleck writes:

Well, you can emulate a PC on the Mac with VirtualPC. Though it
doesn't (yet?) run on the newest systems with the "G5" processor.

As I understand it the main obsticle to emmulating a modern MacOS on non-mac
hardware is Apple requireing a Mac BIOS to start the OS. There actually is a
company, emmulators inc that sold an ISA card on which you could sit a Mac
BIOS ROM chip and with the help of their speacial software get a modern
MacOS going on a Windows system. I just checked and they have up to OS 8
running well. I thought about getting that system going on my system once,
but since I don't have any real reason to do this I have yet to buy their
product.

Carlo

--
David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca, http://www.magda.ca/

Old December 1st 03, 05:27 PM
JY

"Scott Ehrlich" wrote in message

I have a P3 1 Ghz w/128Meg RAM Intel board and would like to get MacOS
installed on it.

I'd prefer a hardware solution (no room for a real Mac), so if a PCI
card exists, please point me to it. Otherwise, what are my
Linux/Windows options for Macintosh "emulation" for all OS 8/9
applications?

Thanks.

Scott

What's the best way to accelerate a Mac? At -9.8 m/s^2.

HTH