Compaq Presario 1200

Old September 30th 04, 07:33 AM
Gene Hoffman

Default Compaq Presario 1200

I have a 1200 power problem. When I plug in the adapter the a/c light comes
on, does not show the battery being charged and will not power up. I bought
a new voltage regulator board and have the same problem. I t did, however,
charge the battery once, but still did not boot.
All constructive input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gene

Old September 30th 04, 09:36 AM
Gene Hoffman

I have just started using the newsgroups. After I posted this question I
looked through some more of the posts and found where this problem has been
posted. They also left this link,
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...threadId=36917
and I will pass it on too.
I can't beleive that HP knows of this problem, can't and won't fix it and
STILL hosts a forum on their site. I have a Presario 7470 and the 1200, not
sure if I'll buy another if they can't fix this.
ink.net...

Old October 1st 04, 03:06 AM
Quaoar

Gene Hoffman wrote:
[...]

HP...forums... HP has a history of closing their product support forums
when the crowd gets unruly about failing performance.

Old October 1st 04, 05:51 AM
foolinyu

[...]

Thanks for the link. This thread goes on forever. Interesting but sad and
Compaq should have had a recall years ago. Mine had a bad disk drive, very
common too, but Compaq fixed it under warranty after I bitched about it for
a week. Now, out of warranty, it won't charge and the touchpad locks up but
boot up OK. I wonder if this is a preliminary indication to the no boot
deal. Anyway, I have a 1216US and waiting for the battery charger board to
come in next week. I had it open up last week and blown out all the dust,
re-installed the cpu with heatsink compound and checked all the
inter-connections. Should have replaced the CMOS battery, but I get another
shot next week with the charger board.

Old October 1st 04, 10:06 PM
John M. Thomas

Yep - Had one just like it, replaced the battery board and modem - did show
signs of life and recognized the presence of the battery, even after a power
button reset, it still wouldn't boot. I'd bought a new motherboard for it,
but really didn't feel up to the challenge - sold it sans hard drive as a
non-working machine, put the money into my Dell fund (purchased Inspiron
1150 - $200 off + free shipping; 40GB HDD, 2.6Ghz, 384MB RAM, etc...), and I
don't have to deal with HP anymore. If someone needs a 12xl125 MB for $50
shipped (within the continental USA), let me know - I've got a like-new one
in the box.

If you're looking for a battery board or modem board, I have one of each
that are new, one of each that I pulled from the old machine - and am unsure
as to the actual condition (since replacing them didn't cure the problem)

I also have a battery for a 1600 (I suspect) that is identical to the one in
the 12xl125 and holds a charge

John

Old October 2nd 04, 02:50 AM
Quaoar

John M. Thomas wrote:
[...]

Never, ever, post with a real email address or anything resembling your
user account name in the header. You will be inundated with spam
containing who knows what malware packages.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 September 23rd 04 12:21 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 21st 04 11:30 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM