Texture Problems!

Old April 17th 04, 10:01 PM
Gaffer

Default Texture Problems!

I've recently started getting texture problems with games (ones that have
good graphics and are more demanding) and I have no idea why. I used to be
able to play "GTA Vice City" with my graphics card (Geforce4 ti4200 8x) with
absolutely no problems with texture or anything else. But now I have notice
quite a lot of texture problems in the game which make it very annoying.
There is no problem with the speed of games at all, it runs as fast as ever.

I have noticed these texture problems with other games too, not just Vice
City. I have noticed that the texture problems are somewhat worse with the
newer drivers (53.04 & 56.64) and not as bad with some of the older ones
(41.09 & 44.03) and I have now tried around six different drivers for Vice
City but still I get the problems. When I tried each driver I always deleted
the previous from my PC using "add/remove programs" and used Driver Cleaner
to get rid of any other files to do with Nvidia and install the next one to
try. For the life of me I cannot remember what driver I was using (to
previously play Vice City) before I got these problems but I'm pretty sure
I've tried it because I have experimented with a good few of them now trying
to solve this problem.

Something else I've noticed, I'm not sure if it's related, but if I restart
my PC (Start/Shut down/Restart/) then sometimes my PC does come back on. The
PC stays ON but my monitor goes off and to get it started I need to press
the reset button on my computer to get it to load up my OS. Is this because
my PC isn't picking up my graphics card? This never happens if I just switch
on my computer when it's off.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2700mhz
512 DDR Ram 333
AT7-MAX2 motherboard
120GB SATA Cache 8m
Geforce 4 ti4200 8x

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

_____
Gaffer

Old April 17th 04, 10:14 PM
baskitcaise

Gaffer wrote:

Something else I've noticed, I'm not sure if it's related, but if I
restart my PC (Start/Shut down/Restart/) then sometimes my PC does come
back on. The
PC stays ON but my monitor goes off and to get it started I need to press
the reset button on my computer to get it to load up my OS. Is this
because my PC isn't picking up my graphics card? This never happens if I
just switch on my computer when it's off.

Overheating graphics card?

Is it full of dust bunnies or the fan not working?

Or try and reseat the card it may be walking out of the slot, you could also
clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and a little bit of lint free cloth
with non oil based cleaning fluid ( isopropyl ? )

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!

Old April 17th 04, 10:41 PM
Gaffer

"baskitcaise" wrote in message
Gaffer wrote:

Something else I've noticed, I'm not sure if it's related, but if I
restart my PC (Start/Shut down/Restart/) then sometimes my PC does come
back on. The
PC stays ON but my monitor goes off and to get it started I need to

press
the reset button on my computer to get it to load up my OS. Is this
because my PC isn't picking up my graphics card? This never happens if I
just switch on my computer when it's off.

Overheating graphics card?

Is it full of dust bunnies or the fan not working?

Or try and reseat the card it may be walking out of the slot, you could

also
clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and a little bit of lint free

cloth
with non oil based cleaning fluid ( isopropyl ? )

Sorry for asking, but what are the contacts - what do they look like? The
fan is working and I just cleaned it too!

_____
Gaffer

Old April 18th 04, 01:00 AM
Gaffer

"Gaffer" wrote in message
[...]

One more thing. My bios started acting rather strangely a while ago (changin
g things unexpected) and was wondering if there is something in there that
could be affecting my graphics card's performance?

_____
Gaffer

Old April 18th 04, 01:20 AM
Beowulf

Gaffer wrote:
"Gaffer" wrote in message

[...]

Whoa, there, gaffer! your BIOS shouldn't just change it settings. This
can be indicative of serious problems. Have you checked for mysterious
processes (virii) ? You could also be getting intermittent hardware
failures that cause the BIOS to reallocate IRQs etc. Is your mobo
battery still functioning? You could be coming up to default settings
everytime you cold boot.

The restart issue varies with the state of the MS security patches.
I've had it come and go depending on various updates on win2Kpro

As for texture, if overheating is not it, your card memory could have
issues. have you overclocked the card or system? I am not familiar
with your mobo, but on mine, if I am not careful, raising the FSB also
raises the PCI clock (ie synchronous timing) which raises the SDRAM and
AGP clocks. If the AGP is cranked up to high, you'll see video problems.

And here's one most poeple overlook: How's your monitor (and/or cable)
it too is reponsible for graphics quality.

Old April 18th 04, 07:40 AM
baskitcaise

Gaffer wrote:

One more thing. My bios started acting rather strangely a while ago
(changin g things unexpected) and was wondering if there is something in
there that could be affecting my graphics card's performance?

_____
Gaffer

Could be your bios battery on the way out if it is changing things but I
would have expected that to happen on a cold boot not a warm boot.

To check the cards contacts just pull the card out and clean the copper bits
that go into the motherboard.

Also make sure everything is seated down nice and secure, I have seen older
bios chips work there way loose and just need pressing down ( due to the
expansion and contraction with the different heat temps if the machine is
being switched on/off ).

Or it could just be dodgy ram on the card......or anywhere.... if it is
showing this sort of fault on a regular basis then I would let someone with
test gear have a look, it does sound a bit like a hardware fault to me.

Old April 18th 04, 12:24 PM
Sleepy

Could be a case PSU going bad - Could even be the mobo.
what is your PSU ? Needs to be a decent 300w like an Antec
or a 400w if its a cheapy generic to run that hardware. Check the capacitors
on the mobo - are any of them domed ? They're the green
cylindrical towers sticking up from the mobo about 2cm tall. They should
have flat ends but if they're bulging then that's bad.

Old April 18th 04, 05:11 PM
Gaffer

"Gaffer" wrote in message
[...]

How do I set the speed of my AGP slot with Windows 98? Is it in the bios
somewhere?

_____
Gaffer

Old April 18th 04, 05:29 PM
Phil

Whoa, there, gaffer! your BIOS shouldn't just change it settings. This
can be indicative of serious problems. Have you checked for mysterious
processes (virii)

"What's the Plural of `Virus'?
The plural of virus is neither viri nor virii, nor even vira nor virora. It
is quite simply viruses, irrespective of context."

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Old April 18th 04, 05:38 PM
Beowulf

Phil wrote:
Whoa, there, gaffer! your BIOS shouldn't just change it settings. This
can be indicative of serious problems. Have you checked for mysterious
processes (virii)

"What's the Plural of `Virus'?
The plural of virus is neither viri nor virii, nor even vira nor virora. It
is quite simply viruses, irrespective of context."

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

1. Who asked you? Please stay on topic or shut up idf you have nothing
useful to contribute.
2. 'virii' is a humorous colloquialism in general use for decades to
cover a wide variety of rogue software.

Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Texture Problems Mike B Ati Videocards 0 February 10th 04 06:35 AM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 10:41 PM
Club3D 9700 pro texture problems in BF1942 Birdy Ati Videocards 4 November 3rd 03 09:59 AM