asrock p4vt8+ no power?

Old February 4th 05, 09:08 PM
Martin Pick

Default asrock p4vt8+ no power?

just installed this mobo with 2GHz 400MHz celeron turned it on and i get
nothing. no fans whirr, no leds shine (although i dont think it has any), no
post, nothing. is there anything specific to start this mobo? it says it
accepts 400MHz chips. i am using ddr333 ram in it. PSU works fine, tried in
my other pc and that machine`s psu wont boot this one either. i haven`t used
intel equipment for a very long time so any advice is appreciated.

TIA

Old February 4th 05, 09:41 PM
Martin Pick

No, i don`t have a celeronD. this is definately a 400MHz chip. Either way,
the mobo supports those chips anyay.

Old February 5th 05, 03:46 AM
JJO

The OP is right, the manual does indeed state that this mb supports
800/533/400. Just a couple of thoughts though. Do you have the CPU fan
connected to the CPU fan connector on the MB? If I read the manual
correctly, using 333 RAM is only allowed on DDR 1 and 2. You can only use
all 3 RAM sockets if using 266 RAM. Also are you sure that the MB is not
grounding against the case at some point? Check all of the standoffs and be
sure that nothing is touching the MB at a point where it could chassis
ground, a ground that is obviously not supposed to be grounded.

And FWIW:

http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Su...ort_P4VT8+.htm

Now having stated the support for the FSB speeds in my post did you see the
notes on that web page...to repost:

P4VT8+ Motherboard that has either the Prescott 800 support sticker on
motherboard or the Prescott 800 giftbox sticker on the giftbox pack ONLY
supports Prescott FSB800 CPUs .
P4VT8+ Motherboard that has both Prescott 800 and Prescott 533 two support
stickers on motherboard and both Prescott 800 and Prescott 533 two giftbox
stickers on the giftbox pack supports both Prescott FSB800 and FSB533 CPUs.

Regards,
John O.

Old February 5th 05, 12:36 PM
Martin Pick

"JJO" wrote in message
[...]

thanks john, you`ve solved my problem. i do indeed have the board that only
supports prescott 800MHz chips regardless of what the very rubbish manual
says. Many thanks.

Old February 5th 05, 05:27 PM
JAD

thanks john?

sigh..................................LOL

Old February 5th 05, 09:46 PM
Martin Pick

yes, that`s right. john understood what i was on about and realised that i
didn`t know intel boards have selective backwards compatability unlike amd
ones.
"JAD" wrote in message
thanks john?

sigh..................................LOL

Old February 5th 05, 10:35 PM
JJO

You are very welcome! I find that advising people about any type of hardware
or software problem carries far more weight if you have the documentation
and web links to back it up. To quote an old newspaper axiom, check your
sources and be sure that any statement can be substantiated. I have read far
too many newsgroups over the years that have seen users make statements that
were more opinion than fact.

In this case I was fooled by the manual too until I did a bit more digging
around.

Glad to help out in my own simple way.

Regards,
John O.

"Martin Pick" wrote in message
yes, that`s right. john understood what i was on about and realised that i
didn`t know intel boards have selective backwards compatability unlike amd
ones.
"JAD" wrote in message
thanks john?

sigh..................................LOL

Old February 6th 05, 11:33 AM
Martin Pick

btw, will pushing 800MHz thro the celeron have fried it? i know the 400MHz
celeron has been known to run at 800MHz before but as the cpu fan wouldn`t
start but the heatsink was securely in place will i have done permanent
damage?
"JJO" wrote in message
. ..
You are very welcome! I find that advising people about any type of
hardware or software problem carries far more weight if you have the
documentation and web links to back it up. To quote an old newspaper
axiom, check your sources and be sure that any statement can be
substantiated. I have read far too many newsgroups over the years that
have seen users make statements that were more opinion than fact.

In this case I was fooled by the manual too until I did a bit more digging
around.

Glad to help out in my own simple way.

Regards,
John O.

"Martin Pick" wrote in message
yes, that`s right. john understood what i was on about and realised that
i didn`t know intel boards have selective backwards compatability unlike
amd ones.
"JAD" wrote in message
thanks john?

"JJO" wrote in message
[...]

power on /reset switch problems chris Homebuilt PC's 5 January 4th 05 03:52 PM
Power Cables Question Ricky Romaya Homebuilt PC's 3 December 27th 04 12:35 AM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 11:42 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 02:47 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 08:54 PM