making restore disk

Old January 31st 04, 02:06 PM

Default making restore disk

Can I make a restore disk of win98se computer ? I have it on a older
computer that I want to "mess with" I want a easy way to reinstall the
software if need be. I have all the original disks, but a restore disk
would be easier. I have tried ghost with no luck, could I have done
somethink wrong? Thanks

Old January 31st 04, 05:08 PM
Ralph Mowery

@erols.com wrote:
Can I make a restore disk of win98se computer ? I have it on a older
computer that I want to "mess with" I want a easy way to reinstall the
software if need be. I have all the original disks, but a restore disk
would be easier. I have tried ghost with no luck, could I have done
somethink wrong? Thanks

You can do at least two things that I am familiar with. First you
could take a hard drive large enough to hold the data you have on the
original HD and copy that data to the second HD with XXCOPY using the
clone switch. You can search the web for a free download of that program.

I have used XXCOPY, but to do a full system it might be beter to use the
free utility that may drive makers have to install a new drive. I have a
hard drive in a removable tray that is a duplicate of the one in the
computer. Using the free Maxtor program I back up the hard drive about once
a month. All data is backed up to a CD when I have enough new data on the
drive I think it needs it. Mostly every time I download in new pix of the
digital cam.

Old January 31st 04, 08:14 PM

Ralph Mowery wrote:
@erols.com wrote:

[...]

The only advantage I have found with XXCOPY over those diagnostic
programs from the HD manufacturers, is that it does an incremental
backup when using the CLONE switch. That is if there are only a couple
of files that have changed since the last backup, that is all it changes
on the target drive. (It does delete any files no longer on the
original as well) Using a diagnostic program from a HD manufacturer
means that it normally will delete all that is currently on the target
drive, and then copy all the data from the original drive again. Some
programs may be different, but those that I have seen work that way.

Old January 31st 04, 08:46 PM
RobF

www.xxcopy.com

Old January 31st 04, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I may use a second hd, but was looking into a cd
restore.( I did mention disk but was thinking cd) The one program I saw
required something like 17cd's which is way too many for less than one
gig. of space.

RobF wrote:

www.xxcopy.com

wrote in message
| Can I make a restore disk of win98se computer ? I have it on a older
| computer that I want to "mess with" I want a easy way to reinstall the
| software if need be. I have all the original disks, but a restore disk
| would be easier. I have tried ghost with no luck, could I have done
| somethink wrong? Thanks

[Announcement] FlashBoot - a tool to make USB Flash Disks bootable PrimeExpert General 0 February 6th 05 06:58 PM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
backup software - restore disk chris General 5 May 20th 04 03:39 AM
Lost Hard Disk Robert Brown Homebuilt PC's 2 October 9th 03 01:13 AM