Big Oops! Please help a newbie

Old October 20th 05, 11:04 PM
Dave The Brain

Default Big Oops! Please help a newbie

Hi All!

Well, act in haste and repent at leisure goes the saying. I guess I
proved it this month. Bit of a cautionary tale.

For two years I had a Celeron 1.8 with 60 Gig hard drive and 256 RAM.
I got a quality sound card and a network card. It wasn't brilliant but
I was happy. Then we had a HUGE lighting storm over Cambridge and my
computer went very funny. Music quit playing, my internet connection
was up and down. Then the computer just quit starting up altogether. I
needed a new computer or to repair the one I had.

My family were about to go away and they were concerned that I would
not be able to communicate with them or be able to get the computer
fixed without their car. I guess none of us were thinknig too clearly
before the holiday. In haste I went with a friend to the local car
boot sale. Usually the guy has a good stock of old computers. This
time the fastest he had was a Duron 1.2. I bought it.

Since I bought my Duron I feel it is a little on the slow side and
can't cope as well as the 1.8 Celeron. Music breaks up if another
programme is activated. I don't recall that happening with the
Celeron.

I know little about the mechanics of computers or upgrading but I
found out my computer is a socket A. So in a moment of madness I went
on Ebay and found another, more powerful CPU which is socket A
compatible - an Athlon 2600. Unfortunately, having bought it, I have
also found out that it is apparently not compatible with my
motherboard. Apparently you need different motherboards for diffeent
CPUs. Also memory. I don't know what else.

Right at the moment I don't know what to do. I could really use some
constructive advice (ie. not just yeah you made a total prat of
things). I'm wondering if I should

attempt to repair my old Celeron (possible motherboard replacement,
seing as we replaced the sound files, sound card and network card and
it still collapsed again). Then flog my Duron computer.

live with my slow Duron 1.2 and put the Athlon chip back on Ebay and
hope to get my money back (I paid £35 for it).

go on Ebay again and buy the extra bits I ned to get a more powerful
computer (for under £75 cos I'm disabled - poor).

Is upgrading a really huge deal? Mum's partner is good at putting
sound cards in, etc for me. Is it much more complicated to put in a
new motherboard, memory chips? Ebay is awash with chips and
motherboards and whatever. Can someone offer any guidance as to what
to get and how much I should expect to pay? Is there a good/reasonably
priced make of motherboard? Are some memory chips better than others?

I gather I would need a motherboard that does at least everything my
Duron does:-

video to moniter
network card
my sound card I can bring over
256Meg RAM
2 hard drives (I brought my old one over because the Duron's hard
drive is titchy at 20 Gig)
2 CD drives (inc a burner)
4 USB slots

If I get a motherboard with more bits do I need to get a diffeent back
for my computer?

A thousand apologies for my total ignorance. This is all new to me. I
bought a box from a shop and if the damned NTL had shielded my network
card from the lighting I would have been happy surfing still. Alas all
is misery, confusion and expense!

Any advice anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Old October 21st 05, 07:07 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:04:29 +0000, Dave The Brain wrote:

Usually the guy has a good stock of old computers. This time the fastest
he had was a Duron 1.2. I bought it.

Since I bought my Duron I feel it is a little on the slow side and can't
cope as well as the 1.8 Celeron. Music breaks up if another programme is
activated. I don't recall that happening with the Celeron.

Probably a config or driver problem.

I know little about the mechanics of computers or upgrading but I found
out my computer is a socket A. So in a moment of madness I went on Ebay
and found another, more powerful CPU which is socket A compatible - an
Athlon 2600. Unfortunately, having bought it, I have also found out
that it is apparently not compatible with my motherboard. Apparently you
need different motherboards for diffeent CPUs. Also memory. I don't know
what else.

Any socket A CPU should work in any Socket A MB. You just need to know
what you are doing. If you want help, give me the the complete info on the
cpu label and the make/model of your MB. Now go to the link below and do a
little reading about MB's and CPU's.

Old October 21st 05, 10:58 AM
Dave The Brain

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:07:04 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

[...]

That's what I read at first, which is why I bought the nw chip. Then I
saw some sellers on Ebay were specifying things like the memory or the
motherboard the chip needs to run on. That's when I thought things
would start to rack up.

You just need to know
what you are doing. If you want help,

Please.
give me the the complete info on the
cpu label

When I thought that the motherboard made a difference I found a
utility called CPU-Z which told me

CPU
AMD Duron
Codename Morgan
Socket A
technology: 0.18
voltage 1.76
family 6
model 7
stepping 1
Ext. family 7
Ext. model 7
core speed 1194 (but this number changes)
Multiplier x12
FSB 99.6
Bus speed 199.1
L1 data, L1 code and Level 2 all read 64KB

"Mainboard"
Matsonic MS8308E
Chipset SiS 730 rev 02
Sensor IT 0

BIOS
American Megatrends v. 062710

Label on the computer box says axon IT Solutions

Looking on the Matsonic web site I got this information:-

MS8308E Series

Bios type: AMI TOP

030808.zip Date : 2003-08-08
instruction : MS8308EP(266) PCB Ver3.1
(FSB 266MHz), Support AMD XP

010912.exe Date : 2001-09-12
instruction : MS8308E PCB Ver 1.1 , 1.2

8308-d.zip Date : 2001-02-27
instruction : MS8308D PCB Ver 1.1 (W/O LAN)

BIOS Flash Utility AMI Flash : aminf340.zip

© 2004 Matsonic All rights reserved.

Does this help at all?

Old October 21st 05, 11:07 AM
Dave The Brain

snip
Any socket A CPU should work in any Socket A MB. You just need to know
what you are doing. If you want help, give me the the complete info on the
cpu label and the make/model of your MB. Now go to the link below and do a
little reading about MB's and CPU's.

Forgot to mention that the chip I bought off Ebay was an AXDA2600DKV3D
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 333FSB Prcessor.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Dave
Old October 21st 05, 06:14 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:07:27 +0000, Dave The Brain wrote:

snip
Any socket A CPU should work in any Socket A MB. You just need to know
what you are doing. If you want help, give me the the complete info on
the cpu label and the make/model of your MB. Now go to the link below and
do a little reading about MB's and CPU's.

Forgot to mention that the chip I bought off Ebay was an AXDA2600DKV3D AMD
Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 333FSB Prcessor.

Hope that helps.

Not much, that's why I asked for the "complete" info on the label. This
does tell me that's it's a Tbred B core (256K L2 cache) and default FSB of
166MHz, but the last line will tell me the stepping and whether or not
the cpu is multiplier locked or not. Your MB with the SIS730 chipset will
be limited to a 133MHz FSB. If the cpu isn't locked, you can change the
multiplier to reach the max speed of the CPU. If it's locked, then the max
speed you will get from the cpu is 1666MHz unless you perform the mobil
mod to turn it into an XP-M and then control it via software.

Old October 21st 05, 06:52 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:58:59 +0000, Dave The Brain wrote:

"Mainboard"
Matsonic MS8308E
Chipset SiS 730 rev 02
Sensor IT 0

BIOS
American Megatrends v. 062710

Label on the computer box says axon IT Solutions

Looking on the Matsonic web site I got this information:-

MS8308E Series

Bios type: AMI TOP

030808.zip Date : 2003-08-08
instruction : MS8308EP(266) PCB Ver3.1 (FSB 266MHz), Support AMD XP

010912.exe Date : 2001-09-12
instruction : MS8308E PCB Ver 1.1 , 1.2

8308-d.zip Date : 2001-02-27
instruction : MS8308D PCB Ver 1.1 (W/O LAN)

BIOS Flash Utility AMI Flash : aminf340.zip

The first board (EP) would be the best. Do you know which one you have?
Model number should be on the board and rev. should be on sticker on one
of the ISA/PCI sockets. All use the same ram. PC133 would be best, but it
shouldn't matter as long as the 2600+ cpu isn't locked.

Old October 21st 05, 07:36 PM
uddarts

"" wrote:
[...]

here’s a program for you download and install. it should be able to
give us the brand and model of your motherboard. that way we can
figure if a new board will fit okay.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?pid=1&lang=en

give us as much info on your present setup. power supply, type of ram,
video card or onboard video, etc.

what operating system are you using and do you have a disk to do a
fresh install of windows.

what 2600 did you get?

AXDA2600DKV3C 2.13Ghz Multiplier=16x(tbred)
AXDA2600DKV4D 333FSB 1.91Ghz Multiplier=11.5x(barton)
AXMG2600FQQ4C(mobile)

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Big-Oo...pict63881.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=320685
Old October 21st 05, 08:22 PM
Dave The Brain

I suspect it is the first one. MS8308E. I am unfortunatley unable to
open the case until my friend opens it for me. A case of shaky hands
I'm afraid., I have emailed the seller of the chip (which is yet to
arrive) to ask about stepping and whther the chip is locked. I believe
he did not have time to test it himself before selling it to me.

Cheers
David

Old October 21st 05, 08:32 PM
Dave The Brain

Miserable incompetence deleted...

here’s a program for you download and install. it should be able to
give us the brand and model of your motherboard. that way we can
figure if a new board will fit okay.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?pid=1&lang=en

give us as much info on your present setup. power supply, type of ram,
video card or onboard video, etc.

what operating system are you using and do you have a disk to do a
fresh install of windows.

what 2600 did you get?

AXDA2600DKV3C 2.13Ghz Multiplier=16x(tbred)
AXDA2600DKV4D 333FSB 1.91Ghz Multiplier=11.5x(barton)
AXMG2600FQQ4C(mobile)

ud

Reports from the software you suggested (which I installed):

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.
]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST
v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer USER-KEY1UW3ZYA
(Dave's Computer)
Generator User
Operating System Microsoft
Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-10-21
Time 20:27

--------[ Summary
]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft
Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904
(DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name USER-KEY1UW3ZYA (Dave's Computer)
User Name User

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Duron,
1200 MHz (12 x 100)
Motherboard Name Matsonic
MS8308E(P) (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 730S
System Memory 240 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (09/13/02)
Communication Port Communications
Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications
Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port
(LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS
300/305/630/540/730 (16 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 300
Integrated
Monitor Acer
AL1712/AL1715 [17" LCD] (14362729)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter MPU-401-compatible
Audio Adapter SiS 7018 Audio
Accelerator
Audio Adapter Turtle Beach
Santa Cruz / VideoLogic SonicFury Audio Accelerator

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE
Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk
drive
Disk Drive WDC
WD205AA-00BAA0 (19 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Maxtor 4R060L0
(60 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG
CD-R/RW SW-252S (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-ROM
SC-152L (52x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 19555 MB
(11586 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 58635 MB
(47146 MB free)
Total Size 76.4 GB (57.4
GB free)

Input:
Keyboard PC/AT Enhanced
PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
Mouse Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2

Network:
Network Adapter SiS 900 PCI
Fast Ethernet Adapter (81.104.210.86)

Peripherals:
Printer Canon S600
USB1 Controller SiS 7001
PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller SiS 7001
PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB Device USB Printing
Support
USB Device USB-Flachbettscanner

--------[ Debug - PCI
]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B00 D00 F00: SiS 730S Chipset - Host-PCI Bridge [A-2]

Offset 00: 39 10 30 07 07 00 10 22 02 00 00 06 00 20 80 00
Offset 10: 00 00 00 D0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 40: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: C5 10 80 01 00 01 01 00 00 05 50 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 27 00 00 B1 00 00 00 00 01 50 6E 18 02 00 00 00
Offset 70: 83 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 72 07 FF FF 83 24 00 00 F0 F0 F0 F0 46 70 87 00
Offset 90: 00 50 04 00 43 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 23 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 40 00 00 79 02 02 02 36 5C 49 DC 16 F5 00 0A
Offset C0: 02 00 20 00 03 02 00 1F 02 03 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 0A 60 60 88 FF FF 88 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D00 F01: SiS IDE Controller

Offset 00: 39 10 13 55 07 00 00 00 D0 80 01 01 00 80 80 00
Offset 10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 01 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 10 13 55
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 40: 01 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 07 E6 00 00 02 00 02
Offset 50: 00 00 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D01 F00: SiS 85C503/5513/5595/961/962/963 PCI-ISA Bridge

Offset 00: 39 10 08 00 0F 00 00 02 00 00 01 06 00 00 80 00
Offset 10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 40: 90 05 0B 0B 0B 00 3D AD 10 EF 00 00 11 30 04 01
Offset 50: 11 38 02 01 60 0B 66 0B AD 2E 12 00 05 05 00 00
Offset 60: 32 80 80 80 20 41 02 10 00 00 80 00 80 80 00 00
Offset 70: 80 00 DC 37 00 50 00 0C 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D01 F01: SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter

Offset 00: 39 10 00 09 07 01 90 02 82 00 00 02 00 40 00 00
Offset 10: 01 D4 00 00 00 50 FF CF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 10 00 09
Offset 30: 00 00 FC CF 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0B 03 34 0B
Offset 40: 01 00 C2 FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D01 F02: SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller

Offset 00: 39 10 01 70 17 01 80 82 07 10 03 0C 08 40 00 00
Offset 10: 00 60 FF CF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 10 01 70
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0B 04 00 50
Offset 40: 00 00 00 00 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D01 F03: SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller

Offset 00: 39 10 01 70 17 01 80 02 07 10 03 0C 08 40 00 00
Offset 10: 00 70 FF CF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 10 00 70
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0B 04 00 50
Offset 40: 00 00 00 00 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D01 F04: SiS 7018 Audio Accelerator

Offset 00: 39 10 18 70 07 00 90 02 02 00 01 04 00 40 00 00
Offset 10: 01 D8 00 00 00 C0 FF CF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 10 18 70
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 DC 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0B 02 02 18
Offset 40: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 E2 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 62 E6
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D02 F00: SiS 86C201 AGP Controller

Offset 00: 39 10 01 00 27 01 00 00 00 00 04 06 00 00 01 00
Offset 10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 01 00 B0 B0 00 20
Offset 20: C0 CF C0 CF A0 BF A0 CF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0E 00
Offset 40: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B00 D09 F00: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz / VideoLogic SonicFury Audio
Accelerator

Offset 00: 13 10 03 60 06 01 10 04 01 00 01 04 00 40 00 00
Offset 10: 00 40 FF CF 00 00 D0 CF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 50 57 33
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 01 04 18
Offset 40: 01 00 22 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00

B00 D0B F00: Philips SAA7134 PCI AV Decoder

Offset 00: 31 11 34 71 06 00 90 02 01 00 80 04 00 40 00 00
Offset 10: 00 D8 FF CF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 11 00 00
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0B 01 0F 26
Offset 40: 01 00 01 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

B01 D00 F00: SiS 300 Integrated Video Adapter

Offset 00: 39 10 00 63 03 00 B0 02 31 00 00 03 00 00 00 80
Offset 10: 08 00 00 C0 00 00 CE CF 01 BC 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 10 00 63
Offset 30: 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 40: 01 50 01 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 50: 02 00 20 00 07 02 00 0F 02 03 00 0D 00 00 00 00
Offset 60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset 90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Offset F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

--------[ Debug - Video BIOS
]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C000:0000 U.`.S.2.00.50 -0.........U....IBM
COMPATIBLE12/28/2000-16:44:31
C000:0040
. 7a.d.7a.d.TC.d
C000:0080
..SC.d.UC.d.RC.d.?B.d.TC.d.TC.d.TC.d..........CCC. ............***
C000:00C0
.............................................@!... *..............
C000:0100 ..SiS 730 AGP True Color Graphics and Video
Accelerator.........
C000:0140 . Bytes Video Memory,...BIOS Version 2.00.50 ..Support
VESA BIO
C000:0180 S Extension Ver 3.0..%..SiS.................Silicon
Integrated S
C000:01C0 ystems
Corp...................730.................2.00.50 ...d...
C000:0200
@"AjB:C.................. ..4.........."
C000:0240
..A*Q*a*q*.+)+.,.,6,N,.*.....f`....U......e....... ............@..
C000:0280
....B......t......|..x..~.....g9........`......... ..1..^.S....J..
C000:02C0 .............,..............[.H.fa.....&.......
.......,.u#......
C000:0300
......&.......B......6....6.....c....R....Z..U..T. .T..Uu......T..
C000:0340
T............T........{T.......rT........1..eT.... ....0.^T......
C000:0380 ......&...GT....JT......S..t... ..T....&...&T.
..)T.......#..$..
C000:03C0
T..F...2..&.........*............t......S...9T... uE...3...S....

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.
]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST
v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer USER-KEY1UW3ZYA
(Dave's Computer)
Generator User
Operating System Microsoft
Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-10-21
Time 20:29

--------[ DMI
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
Vendor American
Megatrends Inc.
Version 062710
Release Date 07/15/97
Size 256 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk,
Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS,
Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
Supported Standards DMI, APM,
ACPI, ESCD, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, AGP,
USB

[ System ]

System Properties:
Manufacturer Matsonic
Product MS8308E
Version 1234567890
Serial Number 00000000
Wake-Up Type Modem Ring

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer Matsonic
Product MS8308E
Serial Number 00000000

[ Chassis ]

Chassis Properties:
Manufacturer Matsonic
Version Version 1.00
Serial Number 1234567890
Asset Tag 0123ABC
Chassis Type Desktop Case

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method 32-bit ECC
Error Correction Single-bit
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns
Supported Memory Types SPM, FPM, EDO,
Parity, ECC, SIMM
Supported Memory Voltages 3.3V
Maximum Memory Module Size 128 MB
Memory Slots 4

[ Processors / Processor #1 ]

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer AMD
External Clock 66 MHz
Maximum Clock 1200 MHz
Current Clock 1200 MHz
Type Central
Processor
Voltage 3.3 V, 2.9 V
Status Enabled
Upgrade LIF
Socket Designation Sockey-A

[ Caches / Internal Cache ]

Cache Properties:
Type Internal
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Write-Back
Associativity 4-way
Set-Associative
Maximum Size 1024 KB
Installed Size 128 KB
Supported SRAM Type Synchronous
Current SRAM Type Synchronous
Error Correction None
Socket Designation Internal Cache

[ Caches / Internal Cache ]

Cache Properties:
Type Internal
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Write-Back
Associativity 4-way
Set-Associative
Maximum Size 1024 KB
Installed Size 64 KB
Supported SRAM Type Synchronous
Current SRAM Type Synchronous
Error Correction Single-bit ECC
Socket Designation Internal Cache

[ Memory Modules / ROW-0 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation ROW-0
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size 256 MB
Enabled Size 256 MB

[ Memory Modules / ROW-1 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation ROW-1
Installed Size Not Installed
Enabled Size Not Installed

[ Memory Modules / ROW-2 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation ROW-2
Installed Size Not Installed
Enabled Size Not Installed

[ Memory Modules / ROW-3 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation ROW-3
Installed Size Not Installed
Enabled Size Not Installed

[ System Slots / PCI1 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI1
Type PCI
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long

[ System Slots / PCI2 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI2
Type PCI
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long

[ System Slots / PCI3 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI3
Type PCI
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long

[ Port Connectors / Def ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type SSA SCSI
Internal Reference Designator USB
Internal Connector Type Mini-Centronics
External Reference Designator Def
External Connector Type DB-25 pin male

--------[ Debug - PCI
]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[
EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.
]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST
v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer USER-KEY1UW3ZYA
(Dave's Computer)
Generator User
Operating System Microsoft
Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-10-21
Time 20:29

--------[ DMI
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

Date 2005-10-21
Time 20:29

--------[ DMI
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.
]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST
v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer USER-KEY1UW3ZYA
(Dave's Computer)
Generator User
Operating System Microsoft
Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-10-21
Time 20:31

--------[ Memory
]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical Memory:
Total 239 MB
Used 162 MB
Free 77 MB
Utilization 68 %

Swap Space:
Total 586 MB
Used 232 MB
Free 354 MB
Utilization 40 %

Virtual Memory:
Total 826 MB
Used 394 MB
Free 431 MB
Utilization 48 %

Physical Address Extension (PAE):
Supported by Operating System Yes
Supported by CPU Yes
Active No

Problems & Suggestions:
Suggestion Install more
system memory to improve applications performance.

--------[ Debug - PCI
]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the
trademarks of their respective owners.

Does this help at all?

Cheers
David

Old October 21st 05, 11:36 PM
uddarts

wrote:

[...]

well i guess we have a little time.

when the new cpu xp2600 arrives check the numbers on it. you may need
plenty of light and good glasses. there is a line of numbers on it
that should look like:

AQXDA 0314 mpmw -- the middle set of numbers is what we are
interested in to determine whether it is unlocked. amd started locking
the chips arounc 0340.

i looked your board up and it is using the old sdram 168 pin. you will
need to buy some ddr 2700 or ddr 3200 184 pin. the price should be
about the same 3200 might be even cheaper.

check around for any board with cpu fsb 333 or 400.

when your friend opens the case have him look at the side of the psu,
so we know if it has enough power. give us the brand, model number and
what the amps are for the 3.3, 5 & 12volt lines. also have him look at
how much extra room the case has. your board is a micro atx. the case
may be big enough for a micro atx or full atx which would give you
more options.

do you have cd with windows?

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=320824