print to file - without altering the original file

Old June 5th 07, 03:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default print to file - without altering the original file

Hi,

I am trying to create a "print to file" printer that would simply
redirect a file to a folder. The issue I'm having is that say I print
a PDF file, the "print to file" driver alters that PDF file to a PCL
or PS file... I believe I would need a generic printer model that
would support more than just ASCII text. Any idea how to handle
this? Thanks.

TL

Old June 5th 07, 04:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
thoss

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create a "print to file" printer that would simply
redirect a file to a folder. The issue I'm having is that say I print
a PDF file, the "print to file" driver alters that PDF file to a PCL
or PS file... I believe I would need a generic printer model that
would support more than just ASCII text. Any idea how to handle
this? Thanks.

You could try write-protecting the PDF file. If this doesn't work, copy
the PDF file to, say, PRINT.PDF, print this, then delete PRINT.*. You
could put this in a batch file so that it needs just one mouse click.
--
Thoss
Old June 5th 07, 04:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Otto Sykora

BUt if you print to the pdf printer, this one does automaticaly the
creation of a file and directs it to a folder, on the other hand it
does indeed use postscript for the conversion, therefore AFAIK some
kind of postscript needs to be present in the system in order to make
it all work.
I would rather check if there is a way in your pdf creator programm to
set the defoult foulder somehow.