Wit's End with "Direct Access Component" Conflict

Old April 21st 07, 11:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default Wit's End with "Direct Access Component" Conflict

For the last three weeks, after installing Service Pack 2 on my
ThinkPad R40 (Service Pack 2 was necessary to run Windows MovieMaker
successfully), I've gotten blue screen crashes on powering down.

The error messages from MS indicate a conflict with something called
"Direct Access Component," which upon investigation *seemed* to have
been my CD drive and/or its software, created by Roxio. The software
apparently was an IBM proprietary version of Roxio called RecordNow.
In any event, a visit to the Roxio website and subsequent searches
turned up many forum posts on conflicts between Roxio and Service Pack
2; there was a disclaimer by Roxio that the conflict has not yet been
addressed by that company.

I deleted everything containing "ROXIO" from my registry. I have
tried to use Registry Mechanic to help, but unless I "Safely
Disconnect" my CD drive before powering down, the blue screen of death
occurs. Unfortunately, the blue screen message flashes and crashes
too fast for me to actually read what it says (and any input on how to
pause or maintain the screen would be appreciated; I've even tried a
Print Screen to no effect).

I hadn't taken a look at my Start Up file in a while and found it to
be a juggernaut almost a screen long. (Any suggestions on where I
could post the start up file to identify what is--or isn't--vestigial/
unnecessary would also be greatly appreciated.)

In any event, before wiping out the HD, reinstalling Windows, and then
installing Service Pack 2 via a MS-provided CD--which I have
absolutely no reason to believe will solve this problem, since by
reinstalling I will of necessity be reinstalling all the Roxio crap--I
would so deeply appreciate any help anyone could give me here.

Thanks for reading this.

Old April 21st 07, 11:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

I just tried to power-down without first "Safely Disconnecting" the CD
drive. I glimpsed this on the blue screen: Page Fault in Nonpaged
Area.

Old April 21st 07, 01:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 21, 7:41 am, Impmon wrote:

Try this one:

[SNIP]

Sh*$!!! Thank *you.* I'll let you know what happens (should have
come to this newsgroup first.)

Old April 21st 07, 03:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Alexander Grigoriev

Roxio is using their own drivers to mimic ASPI.
Start Regedit, and open the following key (registry 'folder'):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You will see the following values: LowerFilters, UpperFilters. They may
contain names like cdr4_xp, cdr4_2k, cdralw2k. Delete them. Reboot.

Old Roxio WinOnCD 6 works for me with SP2, though. But I don't install that
piece of crap called DirectCD. You shouldn't, either. Your problem is caused
by a similar **** (Direct Access).

oups.com...

Old April 21st 07, 11:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 21, 10:05 am, "Alexander Grigoriev" wrote:
Roxio is using their own drivers to mimic ASPI.
Start Regedit, and open the following key (registry 'folder'):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You will see the following values: LowerFilters, UpperFilters. They may
contain names like cdr4_xp, cdr4_2k, cdralw2k. Delete them. Reboot.

Old Roxio WinOnCD 6 works for me with SP2, though. But I don't install that
piece of crap called DirectCD. You shouldn't, either. Your problem is caused
by a similar **** (Direct Access).

When I opened RegEdit, under this entry I found +0000

|_DigitalAudio

- 0001

- Properties

I don't know which of these to delete and can't locate the
LowerFilters, UpperFilters. These entries are not called cdr4_xp or
any of the others you specified. Until I'm more certain of which of
these I should delete and which I should keep, I'm too apprehensive to
delete any.

But thank you for posting.

Old April 22nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 21, 7:41 am, Impmon wrote:

This should cause the BSoD to stay on rather than crashing and
restarting. Crash number would help a lot in telling where the
problem is. Once you find the number, use Google and type in "xp stop
error" and the code number. ie "xp stop error 0x00000063"

This should yield a few result that can explain why you are getting
BSoD and some suggestion on fixing the problem.

I did what you suggested and came up with the following:

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

Stop: 0X00000050 (0XFA2A4920, 0X00000000, 0XF93E0A28, 0X00000000)

drvnddm.sys--Address
F93E0A28 base at
F93E0000

THE BSoD SAID THE DRVNDDM.SYS WAS THE PROBLEM.

Old April 22nd 07, 10:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 21, 8:37 pm, Impmon wrote:

That particular error usually indicate driver conflict. When 2 or
more are trying to control the same resources and won't play nice,
Window crashes.

As other mentioned, it could be the DirectCD. DirectCD and similiar
software allows you to use CD burner like a hard drive. You should
uninstall and remove DirectCD and other Roxio software and see if that
helps clear your problem.

Yes, after posting, I spent the evening researching and Googling the
particular file, and I found out what you said. I am in the dark as
to whether the term DLA refers to IBM *hardware* or to mere CD-
writing. Since I have always availed myself of this CD-writing
software, I'm in the dark as to whether anything on XP will assume
this "responsibility" if I totally delete IBM proprietary CD-writing
software from my computer.

The question arises as to why, out of the gabazillion files from
Service Pack 2 that AREN'T in conflict with pre-existing files, this
one measly driver should put such a bee in Microsoft's bonnet.

Again, thanks.

Old April 22nd 07, 02:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Impmon

On 22 Apr 2007 02:26:37 -0700, wrote:

Yes, after posting, I spent the evening researching and Googling the
particular file, and I found out what you said. I am in the dark as
to whether the term DLA refers to IBM *hardware* or to mere CD-
writing. Since I have always availed myself of this CD-writing
software, I'm in the dark as to whether anything on XP will assume
this "responsibility" if I totally delete IBM proprietary CD-writing
software from my computer.

DirectCD is not the only softare the can cause this error. The
software from IBM can do it and there's probably many more other
drivers that can cause this particular error. It is not necessary for
you have those software to cause this crash. You can probably ignore
references to other software and work on Roxio.

The question arises as to why, out of the gabazillion files from
Service Pack 2 that AREN'T in conflict with pre-existing files, this
one measly driver should put such a bee in Microsoft's bonnet.

It's not as simple as that. Some manufactor often offer specialized
driver and refuse to have those included with Win XP or something like
that. Or it could be bug between XP driver and 3rd party driver that
causes the conflict that the manufactor choose not to fix. There are
many reason problem can crop up.

Just keep in mind there are probably a million different models of CD
burner, a million different model of keyboards, etc. Add to that XP
is designed to work with older software and driver to continue support
for oddball or specialized software. That is a lot of drivers to keep
track.