Memory recognition problem

Old September 17th 03, 06:15 AM
Ernie Moshurchak

Default Memory recognition problem

My system has a CA61 board with 3 168-pin DIMM sockets. I recently
added a second 256 Kingston SDRAM DIMM but the system will not
recognize more than 256MB. Is there some additional configuration
that needs to be done?

Ernie M.

Old September 17th 03, 08:51 AM
kony

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 05:15:33 GMT, Ernie Moshurchak
wrote:

My system has a CA61 board with 3 168-pin DIMM sockets. I recently
added a second 256 Kingston SDRAM DIMM but the system will not
recognize more than 256MB. Is there some additional configuration
that needs to be done?

Ernie M.

If by "CA61" you mean a DFI CA61, using VIA 693A chipset, then it
doesn't support high density memory. Current Kingston PC133 256MB
modules are high-density. The lower-density memory you need is more
often designated as "PC100", significantly more expensive, and would
have 16 chips on it, 8 per side. Low-density memory spec'd as PC133
(for use with a processor having 133MHz FSB) is very rare today.

Dave
Old September 17th 03, 01:14 PM
Ernie Moshurchak

wrote:

My system has a CA61 board with 3 168-pin DIMM sockets. I recently
added a second 256 Kingston SDRAM DIMM but the system will not
recognize more than 256MB. Is there some additional configuration
that needs to be done?

Ernie M.

If by "CA61" you mean a DFI CA61, using VIA 693A chipset, then it
doesn't support high density memory. Current Kingston PC133 256MB
modules are high-density. The lower-density memory you need is more
often designated as "PC100", significantly more expensive, and would
have 16 chips on it, 8 per side. Low-density memory spec'd as PC133
(for use with a processor having 133MHz FSB) is very rare today.

Dave

That's my configuration exactly. Thanks Dave. That explains
everything.

Ernie.

AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
memory kony General 4 August 21st 03 12:12 AM
Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard - memory problems Wuahn General 1 July 26th 03 01:29 PM
will this memory fit into a KT400 mobo? fred.do General 3 June 24th 03 02:44 PM