Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 & 1790

Old January 10th 06, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 & 1790

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Hi I had a working machine with a 3.2gb IDE hard drive on the

primary
and
Sony DVD rom on the secondary. I removed the Sony drive and

since
then
I've
been getting the error 1790 Disk 0 error. The BIOS now detects

it
as
2110mb
drive and if I tried booting to DOS from floppy fdisk says it

can't
talk
the
fixed disk. There is no way of setting the disk up in the F10

setup
and
have
no other setup disks what do I need to do to get it to change

the
drive
settings. Reply to group or email
lid
(remove
.invalid)

I even tried putting the Sony drive back in the system and setting

the
hard
drive from cable select to master (even though it was on its own

on
the
primary
controller) but to no avail same thing if I connect it to the

secondary
controller. I hate Compaqs gimme a custom built PC anyday! Help!

Do I need to download something ie "softpaq" from HP to set the hard

drive
parameters - how does this differ from the F10 setup I can already

access.
All
F10 does is list the drive under IDE Devices with the incorrect

parameters
and
size and I can't change them it just says press any key to continue.

Will
this
"softpaq" allow me to change the settings back so my os will load

again.

Is this what I need

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...nload/263.html

Computer Setup/VP and PC Diagnostics will this do it? Do I need

floppies

I need 3 floppies (damn I'm going to have to buy a box!) according to

this
post
http://tinyurl.com/cd9vz a user was getting the same error trying to

install
20gb drive. He booted from setup floppy discs and was able to enter the

hd
parameters into the BIOS it then saw it as 8.4gb but the 1790 error was

gone
and it worked as 20gb. Question is will Computer Setup/VP and PC

Diagnostics
allow me to enter hd parameters where F10 setup will not.

Oh dear! Last post should read as below but I pasted the contents of my
clipboard accidentally.

Aha the clue is on that HP support
page

"For all products except the Deskpro
EP, SB, and EN Series, Computer
Setup and
PC Diagnostics are both
pre-installed on the Diagnostics
Partition. Both
utilities can be run by pressing F10
during power-up or reboot when
prompted
in
the lower right corner of the screen
on some models or when the cursor
jumps
the upper right corner of the screen
on other models."

It goes on...

"For the Deskpro EP, SB, and EN
Series, Computer Setup/VP and
Personal
Computer Diagnostics must be run
from diskette."

Which would suggest for everything
except Deskpro EP, SB & EN you can
access
the Computer Setup/VP and Personal
Computer Diagnostics via F10. Those
utilities are probably the key to
setting the HD parameters. How did
it lose
them in the first place BIOS battery
is ok.

Thanks for all your help lol

I still hate Compaqs downloaded Computer Setup/VP & Personal Diagnostics and
there is still no option to set HD parameters! My worst fears... so I've asked
a friend to bring round a selection of old hard drives 2gb - 10gb to see if it
will autodetect one of these correctly.

Old January 10th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Scriveva Nick Le Lievre luned́, 09/01/2006:
Hi I had a working machine with a 3.2gb IDE hard drive on the primary and a
Sony DVD rom on the secondary. I removed the Sony drive and since then I've
been getting the error 1790 Disk 0 error. The BIOS now detects it as a 2110mb
drive and if I tried booting to DOS from floppy fdisk says it can't talk to
the fixed disk. There is no way of setting the disk up in the F10 setup and I
have no other setup disks what do I need to do to get it to change the drive
settings. Reply to group or email lid
(remove invalid)

Try to enter into your bios and set disable for the secondary eide and
disable for primary slave. Auto to master primary. Into eide HD set
MASTER (no cable selector).

Let me know

Thank you for your photos... but you have a desktopPRO with P2, not P3,
so you have a standard 20pins ATX, not the Compaq 24pins ATX

--
Le dimensioni forse non sono importanti per le donne, ma sono
essenziali per le vagine!

Old January 10th 06, 07:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nick Le Lievre wrote...

Hi I had a working machine with a 3.2gb IDE hard drive on the primary and a
Sony DVD rom on the secondary. I removed the Sony drive and since then I've
been getting the error 1790 Disk 0 error. The BIOS now detects it as a

2110mb
drive and if I tried booting to DOS from floppy fdisk says it can't talk to

the
fixed disk. There is no way of setting the disk up in the F10 setup and I

have
no other setup disks what do I need to do to get it to change the drive
settings. Reply to group or email lid

(remove
invalid)

Put my friends 10.2gb in the system and it detected the parameters correctly
same with a 6.8gb drive. I'm installing operating system on the 10.2gb now. The
original drive still gives 1790 with incorrect drive parameters.
Old January 11th 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 & 1790 *Update*

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message

Put my friends 10.2gb in the system and it detected the parameters

correctly
same with a 6.8gb drive. I'm installing operating system on the 10.2gb

now. The
original drive still gives 1790 with incorrect drive parameters.

I couldn't install my copy of Windows 2000 and when I booted from cd which
has fdisk, format etc I ran format and it reported "Track 0 error disk is
unusable".

I put the 6.8gb in and tried formatting but it quickly reported "trying to
recover lost allocations" I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to finish so
I tried a 2.1gb and formatted it at about 97% it said "trying to recover
lost allocations" so I left it 20mins and it completed format.

I then installed Windows 2000 successfully however this 2.1gb hard drive
only powers up 1/3 times (you can hear it) and the power on button on the
case isn't making a consistent connection with the switch so its hard
getting it on - that with the hard drive problem is bad.

I think I`ll just leave it on lol that would be best I think

Old January 11th 06, 03:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

[...]

Just to exhonerate my so called "friend" he has never tested the drives he
wouldn't know how to - he just canabolised them from the odd system he's
stumbled across in a skip/bin.

If you think about the punishment they would've taken being thrown into a
skip its no wonder they're either dead or have lost allocations.

Still he did me a favour cos at least now I have a working system albeit
with a less then perfect 2.1gb hard drive with 967MB free space lol

Old January 11th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message

Still he did me a favour cos at least now I have a working system albeit
with a less then perfect 2.1gb hard drive with 967MB free space lol

Just ran the SP4 update from windowsupdate.microsoft.com and it failed with
a missing file and I had to roll back the installation. Then it reboot after
which scandisk ran and took its time to complete then Windows had to verify
free space which took more time.

After this it booted to desktop as per normal but I was worried that the
drive was failing for a while there. Maybe it ran scandisk becuase of the
changes due to partly installing SP4 then rolling it back.

Old January 11th 06, 05:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message

Still he did me a favour cos at least now I have a working system albeit
with a less then perfect 2.1gb hard drive with 967MB free space lol

Just ran the SP4 update from windowsupdate.microsoft.com and it failed

with
a missing file and I had to roll back the installation. Then it reboot

after
which scandisk ran and took its time to complete then Windows had to

verify
free space which took more time.

After this it booted to desktop as per normal but I was worried that the
drive was failing for a while there. Maybe it ran scandisk becuase of the
changes due to partly installing SP4 then rolling it back.

According to this snippet of info http://tinyurl.com/cl387 its a good idea
to run a chkdsk before installing SP4 now I know this I`m not surprised it
failed to install.

Old January 11th 06, 05:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in

message

[...]

Well a quite look at the system log in the event viewer confirms it:

11/01/2006 03:43:23 NtServicePack Error None 4373 PENTIUMII\Nick Le Lievre
PENTIUMII Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 installation failed.

11/01/2006 03:43:19 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
11/01/2006 03:43:17 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
11/01/2006 03:43:16 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
11/01/2006 03:43:15 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
11/01/2006 03:43:13 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
11/01/2006 03:43:12 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
11/01/2006 03:43:11 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
11/01/2006 03:43:09 Disk Error None 7 N/A PENTIUMII The device,
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Old January 11th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nel suo scritto precedente, Nick Le Lievre ha sostenuto :
[...]

WOW
A new hard drive?

For SP4 in win2k... try nlite and do a win2k installation cd with sp4
in

Old January 11th 06, 01:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Felix" wrote in message
il.it...
WOW
A new hard drive?

For SP4 in win2k... try nlite and do a win2k installation cd with sp4
in

Its not worth a new hard drive for this PC - my friend may have another
2.1gb which *might* be clear of errors. I will probably run a thorough
scandisk again to automatically fix errors and to scan for and try to
recover bad sectors - even though Win98SE boot disk format did this before
installation. Then I will attempt to install SP4 again.

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 06:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM