Lexmark and Dell Printers

Old September 11th 05, 02:14 AM

Default Lexmark and Dell Printers

Appears that the Dell A940 and Lexmark X5150 printers are similar in
design. Does anyone know whether the ink cartridges for Lexmark will
work with Dell A940 printers?

Thanks in Advance!

TexBear
--
* Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 7
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
Old September 11th 05, 04:48 AM
Kevin

Not without making some modifications to your machine which would, of
course, void the warranty. Lexmark cartridges in Lexmark machines and Dell
cartridges in Dell machines. Lexmark makes the ink jet printers for Dell
and Dell puts their badge on them.

It's sort of like Mitsubishi (Matsu****a Corportation) making just about
every conceivable part that goes in just about every video tape recorder
(VCR) ever made and then Sony or Hitachi or RCA putting their name on the
chassis.

t...

Old September 11th 05, 06:39 PM

Well, that makes sense... considering the rules of marketing, I
believe. The modifications you're referring to... are they
electronic-related? And if they are... heh, heh.. reckon I'm better
off, just getting the original dell cartridges..

Thanks for your help..

TexBear
Old September 11th 05, 09:01 PM
zakezuke

Well, that makes sense... considering the rules of marketing, I
believe. The modifications you're referring to... are they
electronic-related? And if they are... heh, heh.. reckon I'm better
off, just getting the original dell cartridges..

Older generations employed the use of an extra hump on the lexmark side
so when you would buy a true blue lexmark cartridge it wouldn't
physicaly fit. One in theory could remove the hump and buy whatever
they want hince the "void the warranty statement".

I don't know if the current generation employs anything more complex
than an extra hump.

Old September 13th 05, 05:25 AM
I call myself Me

So who cares about the warranty? You will save enough on cartridges to pay
for a new printer (one you can actually find cartridges for)

The offending tab, is it on the printer or the cartridge?

The idea that you can only get the cartridge from dell is idiotic, everyone
needs competition.

Old September 13th 05, 08:02 AM
zakezuke

So who cares about the warranty? You will save enough on cartridges to pay
for a new printer (one you can actually find cartridges for)

Do you? Don't get me wrong, it's possible you may but simply the last
time I looked the price was the same for cartridges from Dell as Office
Depot. It may be possible the Lexmark varity had more ink or some
other difference that wasn't documented.

The offending tab, is it on the printer or the cartridge?

I would imagine it would be in the printhead carrier. As in the ones I
saw the dell varity had a sort of resessed area, where the printer it
self had a buldge poking out.

I don't know about the subject because simply put... switching to
another printer all together is more cost effective than buying one
refill for the printer whether from dell or office depot. the OEM
lexmark ink for the free dell printer was over 10,000/gal, where other
printers float at Between $3,000 to $5,000/gal.

Old September 13th 05, 02:52 PM
Arthur Entlich

Probably not. Dell intentionally contracted Lexmark to make the
cartridges incompatible so they could capture that portion of the inkjet
market.

As I understand it, HP refused to do so, so Dell dropped them as a supplier.

Art

wrote:

Appears that the Dell A940 and Lexmark X5150 printers are similar in
design. Does anyone know whether the ink cartridges for Lexmark will
work with Dell A940 printers?

Thanks in Advance!

TexBear

Dell 720 Color Printer: Lexmark Cartridges? Sylvain Printers 5 March 7th 05 12:40 PM
Lexmark spyware - What about Dell ? Le Dave Printers 0 November 17th 04 12:13 PM
lexmark printers Innealtoir Printers 0 September 17th 04 02:23 PM
Modify Lexmark ink cartridges to fit Dell 720 GB Printers 5 August 3rd 04 11:15 AM
For what it`s worth concerning Dell printers PC Gladiator Dell Computers 1 December 3rd 03 05:23 AM