Upgrading a DELL Latitude Notebook 700MHz Laptop 128MB

Old October 2nd 03, 09:53 PM
Daniel

Default Upgrading a DELL Latitude Notebook 700MHz Laptop 128MB

I just bought a DELL Latitude Notebook celeron 700MHz Laptop 128MB. My
question are - can I
a)replace the cpu with a celeron 950 or 1000mhz
b) add another stick of 256MB centon or generic lapto memory PC100
c) What is the cheapest way of adding a NIC
d) Is there a cheap way of upgrading the VGA to more than 8MB
e) Are there issues of non compatiability that would crop up if I put
in aa higher than 10GB hard drive?

Thanks in advance
Old October 3rd 03, 07:24 AM
spodosaurus

Daniel wrote:
I just bought a DELL Latitude Notebook celeron 700MHz Laptop 128MB. My
question are - can I
a)replace the cpu with a celeron 950 or 1000mhz
b) add another stick of 256MB centon or generic lapto memory PC100
c) What is the cheapest way of adding a NIC
d) Is there a cheap way of upgrading the VGA to more than 8MB
e) Are there issues of non compatiability that would crop up if I put
in aa higher than 10GB hard drive?

Thanks in advance

For the ram and hdd, check the manual. It can be downloaded from dell
or from another site that's held onto the old .pdf file. Dell may have
released a bios upgrade to allow for some upgrades, but then again,
maybe not. You'll have to hit the Dell website and google to find out.

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old October 3rd 03, 08:31 AM
Daniel

Thanks for your replies
a) I have looked all around for documentation on the CPU and there is
NOTHING showing that what is in the system is the MOBILE CPU. Thus the
reason of asking if I could swap with the regular 950 or 1000MHZ CPU
going for $37 (for Celeron 1GHz) and $45 (for the Celeron
950)(www.Pricewatch.com). Does any one know better?

b) I looked at Kingston Technology memory (higher value) and they had
a warning saying the Laptop version of their PC133 ($46 for 256MB
stick) was NOT backward compatiable to PC100 ($76 for 256MB stick).
Any one with a different experience?

c) Thanks for the tip on upgrading the BIOS. I got C600_A23.exe [323
KB] Release Date: 7/17/2003. Now If only I could get a cheaper high
capacity laptop hard drive!

d) My laptop does not have a NIC. What would you suggest i get? Dell
wanted me to get their ethernet/56K combo for $155!

Thanks again for your comments
Old October 3rd 03, 12:02 PM
JT

On 3 Oct 2003 00:31:20 -0700, (Daniel)
wrote:

Thanks for your replies
a) I have looked all around for documentation on the CPU and there is
NOTHING showing that what is in the system is the MOBILE CPU. Thus the
reason of asking if I could swap with the regular 950 or 1000MHZ CPU
going for $37 (for Celeron 1GHz) and $45 (for the Celeron
950)(
www.Pricewatch.com). Does any one know better?

I have a Dell Latitude p3 500, and have looked at others. They all used a
mobile variation, or a processor soldered on a carrier. Not a drop in
replacement. what model exactly is this Laptop. Makes a difference. On a
laptop, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in performance of the
faster processor, and there is the hassle of disassembly/reassembly. Not
that easy.

b) I looked at Kingston Technology memory (higher value) and they had
a warning saying the Laptop version of their PC133 ($46 for 256MB
stick) was NOT backward compatiable to PC100 ($76 for 256MB stick).
Any one with a different experience?

I would probably go with Crucial for the memory, but the problem they are
addressing is some of the older chipsets that could not use high density
ram. Shouldn't be a problem with this laptop, but if you order using the
Crucial selector they guarantee compatibility.

c) Thanks for the tip on upgrading the BIOS. I got C600_A23.exe [323
KB] Release Date: 7/17/2003. Now If only I could get a cheaper high
capacity laptop hard drive!

d) My laptop does not have a NIC. What would you suggest i get? Dell
wanted me to get their ethernet/56K combo for $155!

Get any of the cheap 10/100 Cardbus or PCMCIA adapters available. Any
should work. The expensive one Dell is trying to sell you is the Xircom.
Available at PC Liquidators for $29.99
http://www.pcliquidator.com/detailproduct.asp?which=823

Thanks again for your comments

JT

RAM on Dell Latitude D800 laptop No Such Luck General 4 February 3rd 05 05:42 PM
Will my Dell Notebook be dual monitor capable? Mickee General 2 September 15th 04 10:19 PM
Old Dell Laptop monitor The Walkers General 3 November 11th 03 12:13 AM
Dell Latitude Laptop Paul Hathaway General 1 October 31st 03 04:08 AM
Dell Laptop slowing down Guy Cooper General 0 August 8th 03 12:09 AM