motherboard died and was wondering if this will work

Old June 30th 03, 04:08 AM
kony

Default motherboard died and was wondering if this will work

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:36:43 -0700, mike wrote:

I had a K7T Pro2-A (200FSB) motherboard that died. The CPU was a 1100 AMD
Thunderbird and I had PC133 SDRM DIMM memory and a Gforce 2 video card.
The motherboard I would like to use, it's on sale with a processor, is a
Microstar MS-6330 K7T TURBO Socket A 266FSB SDRAM Motherboard. The
Processor will be a AMD XP 2100 Palamino. Will this work? The only thing
I notice is that the front side bus is different. Thanks.

What do you mean, "will it work"?
It's a mobo/CPU combo, so yes, it should be fine. It will work with
the GF2 Video card and PC133 memory.

Of course you're aware that the new processor will require more power,
cooling, so you may need a better heatsink, improved chassis airflow
and beefier PSU (insufficient info to conclude this, just thought I'd
mention it anyway).

However, it would have to be cheap to be a good deal, since the
Palomino runs hot, has a lower clockspeed ceiling if overclocking
(VERY little overclocking possible at 1.7GHz, compared to a current
generation T'Bred "B" step that'll easily run in excess of 2.2GHz),
and the KT266 (not KT266A) boards have lower performance with "any"
processor compared to a more modern Via chipsets, or it'd be even
better to go with an nForce2 board, but of course you'd need DDR
memory for these latter chipset boards. It'll do for a low-cost
replacement but the long-term "bang-for-the-buck" is lower.

Dave

Dave