Help: About my machine

Old June 19th 07, 12:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Amy Lee

Default Help: About my machine

Hello,

I have an old computer, and I've upgraded it for many times.

Hardware List:

Cpu: Celerom 733 MHz up to 1100 MHz
Motherboard: GA-6VXE+
Ram: 320 MB
HD: 10 GB + 60 GB
Sound Card: CS4281
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX 400 with 64 MB
NIC: Realtek 8139

Now I have my Linux system and Windows 2000.

I'd like to know, if I wanna upgrade my machine, what parts should I
upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Amy Lee
Old June 19th 07, 05:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
johannes

Amy Lee wrote:

Hello,

I have an old computer, and I've upgraded it for many times.

Hardware List:

Cpu: Celerom 733 MHz up to 1100 MHz
Motherboard: GA-6VXE+
Ram: 320 MB
HD: 10 GB + 60 GB
Sound Card: CS4281
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX 400 with 64 MB
NIC: Realtek 8139

Now I have my Linux system and Windows 2000.

I'd like to know, if I wanna upgrade my machine, what parts should I
upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Amy Lee

Leave it as is, change nothing. Start planning a new system with new
Core 2 Duo processor, DDR2 RAM. Such as e.g. these:
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kc.aspx?bn=10293
Old June 19th 07, 06:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mark

Amy Lee wrote:
Hello,

I have an old computer, and I've upgraded it for many times.

Hardware List:

Cpu: Celerom 733 MHz up to 1100 MHz
Motherboard: GA-6VXE+
Ram: 320 MB
HD: 10 GB + 60 GB
Sound Card: CS4281
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX 400 with 64 MB
NIC: Realtek 8139

Now I have my Linux system and Windows 2000.

I'd like to know, if I wanna upgrade my machine, what parts should I
upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Amy Lee

Everything. The only things you could keep would be power supply, case
and monitor - and if it is an old computer that has been upgraded many
times before, then likely power supply and maybe even case should be
replaced as well.

Cost won't be as high as you think, as sound and networking are included
on motherboards these days for minimal additional cost. Depending on
your video needs, you could also get an onboard video solution - which
still could be better than MX 400 (haven't kept up with the speed of
onboard video solutions, although they are certainly a lot less than
separate cards).
Old June 23rd 07, 12:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

On Jun 19, 7:17 am, Amy Lee wrote:
Hello,

I have an old computer, and I've upgraded it for many times.

Hardware List:

Cpu: Celerom 733 MHz up to 1100 MHz
Motherboard: GA-6VXE+
Ram: 320 MB
HD: 10 GB + 60 GB
Sound Card: CS4281
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX 400 with 64 MB
NIC: Realtek 8139

Now I have my Linux system and Windows 2000.

I'd like to know, if I wanna upgrade my machine, what parts should I
upgrade?

So much depends on how you use the machine, but upgrading the RAM to
512M is probably worth it. I wouldn't fool with anything else, unless
you just absolutely need a bigger hard drive. For everyday use, my
PIII machines seem mostly to be FSB (memory bandwidth) constrained.
I'm not planning on throwing anything away.

Robert.