Canon LiDE 25 software

Old September 27th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

Default Canon LiDE 25 software

Regular browsers of this NG might recognise some of my recent posts
about driver problems. Error messages were explained to me by MS as
being caused by recently installed hardware with bad drivers.

One of the devices I uninstalled was my scanner.

I have now traced the problem to faulty memory and all is well again.
However, it leaves me with no software for my scanner because I've
mislaid the installation CD for English language. I've asked Canon by
email if there is a way that I can get a replacement CD but there is
no reply.

I am in the UK and I wondered if anyone might be able to copy the CD
and send it? I am happy to pay a reasonable amount. It's not just the
driver that I want it's the whole front end and manual, and that's
only available on the CD.

Many thanks

Colin
Old September 29th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Cari

The drivers are on the Canon website.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old November 6th 06, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:43:07 -0700, "Cari"
wrote:

The drivers are on the Canon website.

Thanks, Cari.

I did download the drivers for the toolbox and also scangear that look
exactly like the original installation. However, there is no trace of
the user manual. I followed the trail to user manuals on the web site
but under LiDE25 it said "no longer available".

It shouldn't have mattered because I could remember how to use the
software anyway, but I now find that the OCR option doesn't work. I
have set it up exactly as I would expect and it's not rocket science,
but when it reaches the point where it should display the text in the
defined application (notepad) the prog just hangs forever with the egg
timer where the pointer is.

Maybe the manual would help but there isn't one.

I did ask technical support how to get a replacement disk but got no
response.

Colin
Old November 6th 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

wrote:

The drivers are on the Canon website.

Thanks, Cari.

I did download the drivers for the toolbox and also scangear that look
exactly like the original installation. However, there is no trace of
the user manual. I followed the trail to user manuals on the web site
but under LiDE25 it said "no longer available".

It shouldn't have mattered because I could remember how to use the
software anyway, but I now find that the OCR option doesn't work. I
have set it up exactly as I would expect and it's not rocket science,
but when it reaches the point where it should display the text in the
defined application (notepad) the prog just hangs forever with the egg
timer where the pointer is.

The original CD had OmniPage SE on the disk. That was a Special Edition of
Omnipage software the was bundled with the scanner originally.

For OCR you need OCR software, there are several OCR applications available.
http://www.nuance.com/omnipage/

http://www.abbyy.com/
http://www.abbyy.com/finereader_ocr/

And a free version.
http://www.simpleocr.com/

Maybe the manual would help but there isn't one.

The manual is here for the Canon LiDE 25. It is in a HTML format and you
download the EXE which creates the html files. The one you want for Windows
is LiDE2560scanningguide-e.EXE
http://alpha02u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

The CanoScan LiDE25/60 Quick Start Guide [PDF] is also here.

http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old November 6th 06, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"CSM1" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:

[...]

You might know it, the above link died.

Start here and then click on Product/Software Manuals.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...o delid=11463

Old November 6th 06, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:13:48 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"CSM1" wrote in message
.com...
wrote:

[...]

Got it now!

I am really grateful. It's been a bit of a saga. I've submitted a
request to Canon for a replacement disk. That might be best.

I still have the foreign language install CD would the OCR software be
on that?

Many thanks, anyway, it's all very clear now.

Best wishes

Colin

Old November 6th 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:13:48 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"CSM1" wrote in message
y.com...
wrote:

[...]

Might be, but it would be in the languages on the foreign CD.
If OCR is on that CD it would be in its own folder.

Old November 7th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Colin Bearfield

I post this reply only in case it helps someone who doesn't take
enough care of his Canon instal CD. There is a mountain to climb.

Happily the advice from this NG was very positive and now I understand
the problem and have got a work around.

However, being too stubborn by half I sent a second request for help
to Canon. The first had got no response other than an automated reply
promising help, but today I did receive their survey form asking me if
I was satisfied.

This time I received an email from Canon that gave me the number for
Omnipage so I phoned it. It was not a valid number. Once upon a time I
think it was the right number because it was close to their published
fax number.

I rang Canon and they gave me the scansoft web site from which I took
another number and spoke to a jolly German lady. She gave me the
number for someone else but told me it was too late for today. So
manana.

All I really want to do is buy a replacement CD!

Colin

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:01:07 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:13:48 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"CSM1" wrote in message
gy.com...

Old November 9th 06, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Colin Bearfield

I have now reached the end of the phone merry-go-round and finally
reached a private enterprise that supplies replacement CD's, but they
are sold out of mine.

Please, is there anyone in the UK who can let me have a copy? I am
very willing to pay a reasonable amount for one.

Colin

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 20:50:26 GMT, Colin Bearfield
wrote:

[...]

wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:13:48 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"CSM1" wrote in message
igy.com...