Need to set up FTP connection for windows 98 PC, please.

Old May 23rd 08, 10:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Need to set up FTP connection for windows 98 PC, please.

dos-man wrote:

Paul, there isn't any ftp server software built into 98?

Not that I could find. I tried looking around, but couldn't
even figure out what I used for an FTP server the last time
I tried it. I might have used the server that came with
a larger commercial package (something I got from work).
I tried searching a couple machines here, for "ftp", but
didn't see anything that tweaked my memory.

I'd search through the Wikipedia list of FTP software,
and see if there is something there that is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...erver_software

1) free
2) secure

If you had some plan, of offering an FTP service to the
Internet (port forwarding your router, so incoming FTP
requests are forwarded to a particular computer on your
LAN side), then the FTP server software should be as up
to date as possible (better security). Hackers are
continually finding exploits on FTP server software,
potentially allowing remote control of machines. Or even
using the machine to store and stage downloads for others.

If you're just using FTP between two machines on your
LAN side, that isn't quite as bad. NAT on your router,
provides some protection in that case. But as a rule,
I disable any FTP servers I'm running, when I'm finished
with them. For example, my old Mac has an FTPD build
into MacOSX, and it is a simple matter to just click a
box and turn it on. But once finished with it (and
I don't regularly use the Mac any more), I leave it
disabled.

Could you set up file sharing, between the two
boxes ? For example, it talks about "map network drive"
here. The other half of the solution, is setting up
"sharing" on the other end. Like, right click on the
drive, and see if "Sharing" is an option in the menu.
Maybe you could whip up a free solution that way.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

Paul
Old May 23rd 08, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Paul wrote:
dos-man wrote:

Paul, there isn't any ftp server software built into 98?

Not that I could find. I tried looking around, but couldn't
even figure out what I used for an FTP server the last time
I tried it. I might have used the server that came with
a larger commercial package (something I got from work).
I tried searching a couple machines here, for "ftp", but
didn't see anything that tweaked my memory.

Didn't you bother reading my earlier message?

Volume in drive C is WD30-PRI41 Serial number is 3CE4:239B
Directory of C:\windows\ftp*

FTP.EXE 45056 5-11-98 19:01
ftp.pif 995 3-19-02 10:45 PIF file to launch ftp in
new window
46,051 bytes in 2 files and 0 dirs 49,152 bytes
allocated

(Actually copyright by UCSD and stolen by MS)

Volume in drive C is WD30-PRI41 Serial number is 3CE4:239B
Directory of C:\cfiles\newpage\download\dosftp*

dosftp.txt 12259 4-07-02 21:58 Usage for FTP supplied with
W9x
12,259 bytes in 1 file and 0 dirs 12,288 bytes
allocated

(Documentation for it, available to all on my download section.}

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old May 23rd 08, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 20 May 2008 18:15:50 -0700 (PDT), dos-man
wrote:

My computer is running windows 98. My Xbox is also running windows 98
via emulation. I need to find a way to establish an ftp connection
between these two. I can normally ftp files back and forth, but it
doesn't work when I load 98 onto the xbox.

Someone please tell me how to set up an ftp server on one of these
machines, so that I can transfer files back and forth.

Dos-Man

What is unique about this situation? I mean I don't see why
you can't just install one of the many FTP servers out there
like Apache, though it is possibly more than you need for
such a basic 1:1 home lan transfer scenario.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/platform/windows.html
http://www.freewarefiles.com/cat_5_5...Downloads.html
Old May 23rd 08, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

CBFalconer wrote:
Paul wrote:
dos-man wrote:

[...]

Sure I read your message. The software in question is:

A client ?

A server ?

Which is it ?

I'm trying to help the guy out by pointing him to a server.
Clients are much easier to find (hint - your web browser).

Paul
Old May 23rd 08, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Paul wrote:
CBFalconer wrote:
Paul wrote:
dos-man wrote:

[...]

ftp.exe that comes with Windows 2000/XP is just a client. I presume,
though have not verified, that it's the same for Windows 9x.