Need Help with Memorex 48U Scanner!

Old May 1st 06, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

Default Need Help with Memorex 48U Scanner!

I recently purchased a Memorex 48U scanner. However, XP
doesn't recognize any new device when I plug the scanner into the USB
port on any of my computers. I preloaded the drivers on one system,
and I didn't load anything on the second system. The result is the
same each time, the computer does not see the scanner or sense the
device when it is plugged in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been batting .100 in recent weeks with USB devices.

Old May 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

"-Hector-" wrote in message

I recently purchased a Memorex 48U scanner. However, XP
doesn't recognize any new device when I plug the scanner into the USB
port on any of my computers. I preloaded the drivers on one system,
and I didn't load anything on the second system. The result is the
same each time, the computer does not see the scanner or sense the
device when it is plugged in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been batting .100 in recent weeks with USB devices.

Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working with other devices? Are they on the
motherboard or a hub? If a hub, powered or unpowered? If on the
motherboard, front or back of the case?

Has the scanner EVER worked with ANY PC? Are you sure it's not defective?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

Old May 1st 06, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:41:49 -0700, "Cari"
wrote:

"-Hector-" wrote in message
.. .

I recently purchased a Memorex 48U scanner. However, XP
doesn't recognize any new device when I plug the scanner into the USB
port on any of my computers. I preloaded the drivers on one system,
and I didn't load anything on the second system. The result is the
same each time, the computer does not see the scanner or sense the
device when it is plugged in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been batting .100 in recent weeks with USB devices.

Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working with other devices? Are they on the
motherboard or a hub? If a hub, powered or unpowered? If on the
motherboard, front or back of the case?

Has the scanner EVER worked with ANY PC? Are you sure it's not defective?

Yes, I have used the USB ports to download photos from an HP
camera. The ports are on the back of the computer, integrated with
the MB. I purchased the scanner used, so I have no way to determine
if it is defective other than what I have done so far. The unit's
indicator light does power on, but that is all. I would like to think
that the scanner is not defective, and I'm failing to do something
correctly elsewhere. However, when I did receive the scanner, it had
not been locked prior to shipping. Should the unit work with the
standard USB ports on the MB?

Old May 5th 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

"-Hector-" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It certainly should do... but you may find that ports on the front of the
case may be underpowered. They are generally designed to be used with
portable devices that don't need much power (camera, MP3 player etc)

You are correct in that the drivers should be downloaded and installed prior
to connecting the scanner and if you're sure the USB cable is fine, then
unfortunately I would, at this point, suspect the scanner itself because
NOTHING seems to be detected by XP when you connect it to your known good
USB port(s). If you have a spare cable, give that a try...

Old May 8th 06, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

-Hector- wrote:
I recently purchased a Memorex 48U scanner. However, XP
doesn't recognize any new device when I plug the scanner into the USB
port on any of my computers. I preloaded the drivers on one system,
and I didn't load anything on the second system. The result is the
same each time, the computer does not see the scanner or sense the
device when it is plugged in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been batting .100 in recent weeks with USB devices.

One thing about this model scanner is that it takes a crap load of force
to engage the USB cable FULLY into the scanner port. I know it seems
crazy but check this first.