1 scanner, 2 computers

Old November 17th 03, 04:46 PM
Millybags

Default 1 scanner, 2 computers

Hi,
I have two computers and a Canon 5000F. I know that I can't share the
scanner like I can the printer, but would a solution be to get a 4-1 USB
hub, connect the scanner to the 1 port and connect the computers to the
other ports, making sure that the software/driver is on both computers? Is
anyone doing this?
Thanks
Steve

Old November 18th 03, 02:37 PM
CSM1

"Millybags" wrote in message
Hi,
I have two computers and a Canon 5000F. I know that I can't share the
scanner like I can the printer, but would a solution be to get a 4-1 USB
hub, connect the scanner to the 1 port and connect the computers to the
other ports, making sure that the software/driver is on both computers?

Is
anyone doing this?
Thanks
Steve

Not a good idea, USB has 5 volts at a maximum of 500ma on the connector. You
might short or burn up something! Do not connect two "senders" or masters on
the same line.

What's wrong with swapping the cable from the scanner between the two
computers? USB is hot-swappable.

The scanning software would, of course, be on both computers.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old November 19th 03, 12:27 AM
DaveW

You should NOT connect two computers thru the same USB hub; you'll hurt the
USB controllers in the computers.

--
DaveW

Old November 19th 03, 11:09 AM
Millybags

Thanks for that John.
According to the website the price is 199EUR! Not economic compared to
buying another scanner.
Steve

"John Fonhof" wrote in message
u...
In article ,
says...

You can share 1 scanner with 2 computers with
Perfectscan available at
http://www.recogniform.com/scanning.htm

You need to have a network between the computers
I have tried the trial version and it works like a charm
JF

Old November 19th 03, 05:30 PM
Major Malfunction

Have you tried a real low tech solution: an A/B Switch? You may need to use
USB to Serial adapters, but it's cheap and should work.