Hard Disk with a 3yr Warranty?

Old September 18th 04, 03:45 PM
*** JD

Default Hard Disk with a 3yr Warranty?

Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

Old September 18th 04, 04:12 PM
philo

*** JD wrote:
Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

looks like seagate now offers a 5 year warranty if the drive is
purchased from an authorized dealer

i usually have gone with maxtor but i'm sure i'll get a seagate next time

Old September 18th 04, 04:34 PM
kony

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:45:59 +0100, "*** JD"
wrote:

Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

Seagate has 5 year now, and good drives so that's my
suggestion.

Maxtor is now changing back to 3 year, IIRC.

Old September 18th 04, 04:41 PM
*** JD

wrote:

Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

Seagate has 5 year now, and good drives so that's my
suggestion.

Maxtor is now changing back to 3 year, IIRC.

Shame they didnt offer a 3yr warranty on Maxtor 80Gb HDD, thanks for the
advice though, i'll go for Seagate once i can afford it

Cheers

Old September 18th 04, 05:06 PM
The Chief

*** JD wrote:

Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

When you read the information on a merchant's Web site, it will tell you
what the manufacture's warranty. Jot down the information as you go and
you will build your list.

Old September 18th 04, 05:28 PM
David Wang

Seagate is now with a five-year warranty. Samsung is with a three-year
warranty.

--
David Wang - Tech Support
Extreme Node - Blade servers and Linux clusters based on the standard ATX

Old September 18th 04, 06:15 PM
Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
18 Sep 2004 15:34:58 GMT, kony screamed from behind
the mulberry bush:

wrote:

Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

Seagate has 5 year now, and good drives so that's my
suggestion.

Maxtor is now changing back to 3 year, IIRC.

The higher end Western Digital Caviar/Retail drives still carry a 3 yr
warranty, if I recall correctly. It's a wonder any of these companies
are still in business considering the current cut throat climate in
the computer hardware industry.

Old September 18th 04, 07:04 PM
MCheu

wrote:

Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

Only two that I'm aware of -- at least at the consumer level.

Seagate. Recently upped their warranty to 5 years, however, the drive
has to have been made after the date they made that announcement.
According to one store, the ones with a manufacture date code before
then aren't covered. They still have the old 1 year. Trouble is,
nobody seems to know when exactly the cut off date was, and I haven't
been able to figure out their date coding system.

WD. They've got 3 year warranties on all their "special edition" (8MB
cache) drives. The regular drives with only 2 MB cache still only
have 1 year warranty.

Maxtor still has a 1 year warranty on their drives across the board --
at least on consumer drives. Their Industrial hard drives apparently
have a 3 year warranty. Aside from price and warranty, I've no idea
what the difference is.

Hitachi (previously IBM Deskstar) is a 1 year warranty.

MCheu
Old September 18th 04, 07:37 PM
Blinky the Shark

*** JD wrote:

Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

IIRC, my WD 80GB drives have 3-year warranties.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue
Old September 18th 04, 09:22 PM
Paul Murphy

"*** JD" wrote in message
Can anyone let me know which Manufacturers offer 3yr warrantys on Hard
Disks, as my Maxtor is failing & it is only a 1yr warranty (run out
6months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

Samsung have had 3 year warranties all along - one of the quietest brands
too, especially the Spinpoint P Series.

Paul

Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
Strange files saved the hard disk SunMyoung Yoon General 1 January 3rd 04 04:44 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM
Does hard drive quality differ with warranty offered? Ace Pope General 3 September 19th 03 12:10 AM