Maxtor HD internal beep code!?!

Old November 20th 03, 02:17 PM
Alceryes

Default Maxtor HD internal beep code!?!

Last night I tried to boot up my system and I was greeted with a 4 tone beep
that would cycle pause then cycle again. It sounded almost like a cell phone
ringing. Well I quickly deduced that the HD (Maxtor 120GB 8mb cache) wasn't
spinning up but just to be sure I put it in my test bed computer. Now up
until this point I assumed that the beep code was from the motherboard but
to my surprise the same chime started up when I booted my test system. Now
they're totally different MB's, mine's an nForce2 and my test system is a
VIA266A chipset. It just took me by surprise that they're now equipping HD's
with diagnostic (beep) codes...
Well, the long and the short of it is that I had about 12Gig of important
data on this drive but luckily after an hour in the freezer and a little
shaking of the drive I got it to boot and was able to backup my data, and
surprisingly, Best Buy honored the mfg. warranty and replaced it for me
(bought in march 03). Damn drive didn't give me any warning either. Two
hours before it was fine...
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes