Maxtor question

Old November 8th 06, 10:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Maxtor question

Does anyone own one of these?

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_Plus/

I'm thinking about buying one, but really would love to know if you can use
the darn thing without any proprietary software - for example - can I just
map a drive in windows to the hard drive without using the software that
comes with it?

Also (if the drive fails) can you rip out the drive and plug in another one
without formatting it in some odd format and get it to work just by mapping
to the ip?

Really I just want my DHCP server to allocate it an address and then I can
browse to it without any software. Can it do this?

Old November 8th 06, 10:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
beenthere

wrote in message
Does anyone own one of these?

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_Plus/

I'm thinking about buying one, but really would love to know if you can
use the darn thing without any proprietary software - for example - can I
just map a drive in windows to the hard drive without using the software
that comes with it?

Also (if the drive fails) can you rip out the drive and plug in another
one without formatting it in some odd format and get it to work just by
mapping to the ip?

Really I just want my DHCP server to allocate it an address and then I can
browse to it without any software. Can it do this?

You should be able to use the thing without the software.
After all, it`s just a USB case+PSU containing a Maxtor drive.
You will of course be paying for the software.
I bought a IcyBox FW\USB, and stuck my own 200G drive
in it. It was the cheapest solution for me.
Just had to partition\format the drive, and I was in business.

--
bw..OJ

Old November 8th 06, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

You should be able to use the thing without the software.
After all, it`s just a USB case+PSU containing a Maxtor drive.
You will of course be paying for the software.
I bought a IcyBox FW\USB, and stuck my own 200G drive
in it. It was the cheapest solution for me.
Just had to partition\format the drive, and I was in business.

Well thanks for the input - this is slightly different though because it has
two USB slots in it for external expansion - Maxtor have said it can use 2
usb drives or 2 usb printers or a mixture. I couldn't care about the sharing
of a printer so would only ever want to plug 2 extra usb drives into it, but
am unsure how this may work if I don't use the software. Plus I'm only
really considering this option because I've found it in a clearance and it
really is as cheap as buying an external lan enclosure with a drive chucked
in...

Old November 8th 06, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:02:45 -0000,
wrote:

Does anyone own one of these?

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_Plus/

I'm thinking about buying one, but really would love to know if you can use
the darn thing without any proprietary software - for example - can I just
map a drive in windows to the hard drive without using the software that
comes with it?

Also (if the drive fails) can you rip out the drive and plug in another one
without formatting it in some odd format and get it to work just by mapping
to the ip?

Really I just want my DHCP server to allocate it an address and then I can
browse to it without any software. Can it do this?

First, it would be good to link to the actual manufacturer's
product page instead of the advertising 'site. That's, of
course, on maxtor.com.

It doesn't require proprietary software, uses TCP/IP and
appears in Network neighborhood and is reconfigured with
your browser via HTTP. Which options there are for DHCP
assigment, I don't know, but it shouldn't really matter, as
you could still manually specify the address if it doesn't
support that, and IMO, you don't ever want DHCP assigned
anyway, not on a device where you essentially want the
address static, leaving the options of either setting it per
device, or having need of a router that supports static IP
assignments (which is fairly common today, but nevertheless,
unnecessary with a NAS-like device).

I doubt you can take a drive with existing data on it and
plug it in, but maybe if the drive were FAT32 formatted.

Read over the user guide, particularly note that USB
attached drives must have FAT32 filesystem which is a pretty
significant limit. I dont' know what filesystem the main
drive uses or supports, or if the user can partition/format
a drive after being installed in the enclosure, on the lan.

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/...tion_guide.pdf

Security on it looks to be pretty weak, in that anyone might
be able to reset the password(s) by merely pressing the
reset switch on the back- but maybe in your use it wouldn't
matter.

Old November 8th 06, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:02:45 -0000,
wrote:

Does anyone own one of these?

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_Plus/

I'm thinking about buying one, but really would love to know if you can use
the darn thing without any proprietary software - for example - can I just
map a drive in windows to the hard drive without using the software that
comes with it?

Also (if the drive fails) can you rip out the drive and plug in another one
without formatting it in some odd format and get it to work just by mapping
to the ip?

Really I just want my DHCP server to allocate it an address and then I can
browse to it without any software. Can it do this?

Don't know what the "Plus" means in Shared Storage Plus, but
Tom's Hardware did a review on the non-plus.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2005/06/02/review_mss/
Old November 8th 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

lid wrote:

Does anyone own one of these?
http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_Plus/

Maxtor external drives have a VERY bad well deserved reputation.

The fundamental problem is that their drives dont like running
without adequate cooling and those drives have lousy cooling.

Old November 9th 06, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lez Pawl

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
lid wrote:

Does anyone own one of these?
http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_Plus/

Maxtor external drives have a VERY bad well deserved reputation.

The fundamental problem is that their drives dont like running
without adequate cooling and those drives have lousy cooling.

I'm thinking about buying one, but really would love to know if you
can use the darn thing without any proprietary software - for example
- can I just map a drive in windows to the hard drive without using
the software that comes with it?

Also (if the drive fails) can you rip out the drive and plug in
another one without formatting it in some odd format and get it to
work just by mapping to the ip?

Really I just want my DHCP server to allocate it an address and then
I can browse to it without any software. Can it do this?

and more RS Bull

I run 5 Maxtor's, 2 internal (C & F drive) and 3 external (ICY Boxed)

ABSOLUTELY no problems.........

Old November 9th 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Lez Pawl wrote
Rod Speed wrote
[...]

We'll see...

I run 5 Maxtor's, 2 internal (C & F drive) and 3 external (ICY Boxed)

ABSOLUTELY no problems.........

So stupid that it hasnt even noticed that NONE of
those are in MAXTOR EXTERNAL HOUSINGS.

Old November 9th 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 15:06:48 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I run 5 Maxtor's, 2 internal (C & F drive) and 3 external (ICY Boxed)

ABSOLUTELY no problems.........

So stupid that it hasnt even noticed that NONE of
those are in MAXTOR EXTERNAL HOUSINGS.

Actually the maxtor housing has a fan, unlike many of the
poor 3rd party housings.
Old November 9th 06, 09:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

kony wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I run 5 Maxtor's, 2 internal (C & F drive) and 3 external (ICY Boxed)

ABSOLUTELY no problems.........

So stupid that it hasnt even noticed that NONE of
those are in MAXTOR EXTERNAL HOUSINGS.

Actually the maxtor housing has a fan,

Pity the failure rate is obscene anyway.

unlike many of the poor 3rd party housings.

Pity the ICY box has one.