Printer will not come online on LPT2 (PCIcard)

Old August 25th 03, 10:20 PM
Per Holm

Default Printer will not come online on LPT2 (PCIcard)

Hi,

I will try once more. I did not get the answer I need:

This PCI card says it will work with DOS. Also, using MSD I can get the
computer to recognize the card, remap the IRQ and use the right address (I
have disabled the built-in ports except LPT1 to make sure this doesn't have
an impact). However, as soon as I plug in the printer cable (after turning
off the computer) MSD says no to On Line, Paper Out, but Yes to I/O Error.

What can be the problem ?

Btw, this is for a POS system.

Per

"Jim Turner" skrev i en meddelelse
s.com...
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:12:22 +0200, "Per Holm"
wrote:

Hi all,

I tried to get a PCI parallel port (LPT2) to work under DOS 6.22, but
without luck.

When I connect the printer to LPT1 it is immediately online even if the
computer is turned off, whereas for LPT2 the card isn't recognized, and

the
printer never gets online.

Talked to a former colleague of mine, he said that he had tried three
different vendors PCI cards without luck. I have only tried one - from
DIGITUS Connect (I guess it is Sunix. The chip is SUN1888).

I have already tried the most obvious things (a different card, a

different
PCI slot etc.).

Does anyone know what to do ?

Best regards,

Per Holm

Some PCI parallel cards just will not work under as a DOS parallel
port. Under DOS, there were only 3 recognized addresses ( 0x3bc,
0x378, and 0x278) and 2 recognized IRQs 7 & 5. These are not normally
assigned to a PCI device because of possible conflicts with existing
devices. Any PCI card that will work with DOS programs must be
settable to these settings, either through a utility program/driver or
jumpers. I know there are some out there, just don't remember who
makes or sells them. You need to search for a PCI card that
specifically says it will work with DOS programs. Or rewrite the DOS
program to use the addresses and irqs the PCI card is being assigned.

Have ran into the problem with Point of Sale systems running DOS
software.

HTH.

JT

Old August 26th 03, 09:30 PM
Graham

You sure there isn't any other driver?? Reason I ask that, remembering
those good (!) old days of DOS, virtually every card that I ever added
to the system had to have a driver installed.

regards
Graham
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 06:00:07 +0200, "Per Holm"
wrote:

I have used the utility that ships with the card to remap the IRQ, so I
guess that must be the only "driver" that I need.

From: "Per Holm"
Date: 08/25/2003 5:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Hi,

I will try once more. I did not get the answer I need:

This PCI card says it will work with DOS. Also, using MSD I can get the
computer to recognize the card, remap the IRQ and use the right address

(I
have disabled the built-in ports except LPT1 to make sure this doesn't

have
an impact). However, as soon as I plug in the printer cable (after

turning
off the computer) MSD says no to On Line, Paper Out, but Yes to I/O

Error.

What can be the problem ?

Btw, this is for a POS system.

You might need a driver for it to work in DOS. I have a PCI parallel port

card
which does, although I've never tried to use it that way.

Old August 26th 03, 09:43 PM
Phrederik

I can't say for sure for a PCI based LPT card, but a LPT card
shouldn't need a driver as long as it uses standard hardware.

Address should be 278, 378 or 3BC. Interrupt should be 7 (if
necessary).

Try changing the address of the card.

Also, card should work fine in DOS... Boot from a DOS disk and try
"COPY CON: LPT2:".. Hit enter and type some stuff. Press CONTROL-L
when done (for a form feed) and CONTROL-Z to quit. This should print.

Also remember that when you add a port, the order may change. Your
current LPT1 may change to LPT2 with the new port being LPT1.