Same old question!

Old April 17th 04, 02:57 PM
Michael P Gabriel

Default Same old question!

Hello!
I have a 40G Western Digital HDD as MASTER, with no jumpers
attached...per WD, and it's the only drive in my PC. Bios reads it as
Master Hard Drive. OK!.

I also have a NEC CD Rom drive, jumpered as MASTER, and the only CD
drive in my PC. Bios reads it as SECONDARY MASTER. OK!

When I boot up, I receive the dreaded, "Press F1 to continue". No
other error messages showing. I press F1, and it continues to boot
with no problems at all.

Question: Would using CABLE SELECT instead of MASTER solve the
problem? I never had to use Cable Select before, that's why I wonder.

Everything else shows as expected...memory count, DMI Pool, ESD, etc
and no problems wjhatsoever when up and running in WIN XP Home
Edition.

No big deal, just a tad disconcerting, and a precious second of wasted
time, forcing me to stare at it while she boots.

Mike
Old April 18th 04, 05:22 AM
Donald McMorris - Ospitare International

WD HDDs will NOT work if they are set as master and are the only device on a
channel. Removed jumper is correct.

Sometimes, the bios simply detects that stuff has changed, and all you have
to do is go in, hit save and exit, and that will do it.

Some BIOS's have logging. Check and see if yours does.

"Amina" wrote in message
om...
(Michael P Gabriel) wrote in message

[...]

I think better you keep one jumper on the hard disk and make it as a
primary master and make the cdrom as a primary slave. after doing
these things goto bios and make the IDE autodetection if you having
that option.

Old April 18th 04, 11:42 PM
DaveW

They should be set as SINGLE, not Master. You only use Master when you have
two devices on the same IDE channel.

--
DaveW

. ..