CPU barton v thoroughbred

Old July 13th 04, 04:31 AM
chris

Default CPU barton v thoroughbred

I have a ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard that according to the asus web site will
take a
Athlon XP 2600+(266FSB)(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) but no mention of the barton
core

i have a XP2600+ (333fsb) barton core cpu - will this run on this board

Old July 13th 04, 10:49 PM
kony

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:52:05 GMT, yak wrote:

you could look in the bios and see if you can set the fsb to 166 mhz.

that means that barton would only run at 266... which would turn it into
a very cool running 1800+ or something.

get a new mb or stick with the tb. it's a fine cpu.

There may be ways to work around this...

I have an A7N266-VM running a mobile barton @ 170-something FSB.
Board didn't offer multiplier changes, or maybe it did but it
doesn't "remember" them after a reboot, I forget. Anyway,
because I wanted the mobile barton overclocked instead of the
default multiplier, I burnt a couple of it's bridges for
resulting multiplier of 14X. In the OP's situation if he's happy
with default multiplier then there is no need to do this.

As for bios, it won't halt the board if the Barton is installed,
it'll post and run one fine except there is the issue of FSB
support to overcome.

As for FSB, the CPU should initially run at default multiplier
and 133MHz FSB. However, there is a modification that can be
done to that board to enable the bios feature of setting the FSB
higher, up to around 181MHz. Basically what Asus did is provide
a spot on the PCB for a pin-header so a jumper could be used to
select FSB range, as they did on many other boards, but then
later they omitted this header and in that spot on the PCB, they
soldered on a permanent jumper wire. To enable the bios settings
up to 180FSB, that wire needs desoldered/removed or carefully
cut. Through the magic of time travel i shall now go check on
the details of this and be back before you even realize I was
gone.

http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/a7n266-vm_jump2.jpg
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/a7n266-vm_jump1.jpg
http://www.geekmods.com/users/csmokey/a7n266-vm_MOD/

One of the issues of running higher FSB is that it may not be
stable with both memory slots populated. That is, a double-sided
512MB memory module is stable in mine up to 180MHz, but two
singe-sided 256MB modules aren't stable, even though they're
confirmed working well past same speed in another board...
A7N266-VM just isn't very stable o'c with two physical modules,
even after I added a quite beefy active northbridge 'sink to
mine. Even so, for what it is, it's not a bad HTPC platform
with 512MB, and the higher FSB helps the integrated video some,
though beyond a certain point the bios setting for "overclock
AGP" or whatever it's called, must be disabled so AGP stays @
66MHz.

A suitable alternate approach would be leaving FSB @ 133MHz and
raising multiplier with manual mods. http://www.ocinside.de has
a very helpful set of mod guides for this purpose in their
"workshop" section off the main menu.