External Harddrive

Old December 3rd 03, 11:43 AM
philo

Default External Harddrive

I have just started to work with a photographer who is rapidly
filling up his harddrive...and I want to add an external USB drive...
up in the 200Gig range.

I saw a 250Gig Maxtor One Touch (at NewEgg) that looks like it will
do the job. Though I have used many Maxtor drives without ever a single
problem...I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with this drive...or
has
a better suggestion. Reliability is a more important factor than price.

The machine is running Win2k, so I will of course be formatting the drive as
NTFS...however , I have never used a drive over 120 gigs before...
so what kind of problems might I encounter going over 137 gigs?

Old December 3rd 03, 02:07 PM
Ralph Mowery

I have just started to work with a photographer who is rapidly
filling up his harddrive...and I want to add an external USB drive...
up in the 200Gig range.

I hope he is backing up his work to a CDRW as sooner or later his hard drive
will crash on him. If not you need to get him to start doing that.

Old December 3rd 03, 02:58 PM
philo

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

I have just started to work with a photographer who is rapidly
filling up his harddrive...and I want to add an external USB drive...
up in the 200Gig range.

I hope he is backing up his work to a CDRW as sooner or later his hard

drive
will crash on him. If not you need to get him to start doing that.

Oh you bet he is...
I just replaced a 100gig drive that was "clicking" ...
Luckily we were able to move all the data off the drive before it died
completely!

btw: the drive had an 8 month guarantee..and i pulled it from
the machine *exactly* on the last day of warranty.. i made sure to get the
RMA at once!

Old December 3rd 03, 05:38 PM
V W Wall

philo wrote:

I have just started to work with a photographer who is rapidly
filling up his harddrive...and I want to add an external USB drive...
up in the 200Gig range.

I saw a 250Gig Maxtor One Touch (at NewEgg) that looks like it will
do the job. Though I have used many Maxtor drives without ever a single
problem...I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with this drive...or
has
a better suggestion. Reliability is a more important factor than price.

The machine is running Win2k, so I will of course be formatting the drive as
NTFS...however , I have never used a drive over 120 gigs before...
so what kind of problems might I encounter going over 137 gigs?

I assume you've checked and the BIOS will take drives over 137GB. WinXP
requires SP1 to use 137GB drives. Assume Win2K is OK. Also assume USB2,
else it will be very slow.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old December 3rd 03, 06:47 PM
philo

I assume you've checked and the BIOS will take drives over 137GB. WinXP
requires SP1 to use 137GB drives. Assume Win2K is OK. Also assume USB2,
else it will be very slow.

Thanks for the reply...
Win2k will be updated to the latest SP if it does not yet have it
and will be using USB2 however...since the machine is probably 2 years
old...
maybe a little more... I'm sure the bios is *not* one that can handle over
137
gigs...
and that's the part where I am not at all familiar.

From my work with win9x...here is what I've observed:

For example...if i've had a machine that had a bios limitation of 8 gigs...
I could take a 20 gig hd that was partitioned on another machine...and win9x
would "see" the entire 20 gigs...
so I was just curious if the OS itself (win2k) would be able to "see" the
entire
drive...even though the bios could not? That the drive will be an external
USB
device makes me wonder if the "bios call" is needed.

Old May 15th 05, 05:20 PM
old jon

It`s always worth D\loading the drive makers test tools to run on a drive to
test its integrity. What OS ?. ..J

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi

I was given a external harddrive case a few months ago and popped in a
250 Gb harddrive. I'm now getting IO errors on it.

Before I bin it I want to try and fdisk / format and hopefully get a
few more months out of it.

The problem is that non of my motherboards support HD as big as 250.
Any way I can fdisk and format it from within windows? Normally I
would just drop into DOS and run fdisk.exe and format.exe

Thanks.

Rich

Old May 15th 05, 07:53 PM
Noozer

"Rich" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:20:09 GMT, "old jon"
wrote:

It`s always worth D\loading the drive makers test tools to run on a drive

test its integrity. What OS ?. ..J

Done a google but can't seem to see any Maxtor test tools, unless I'm
blind that it.

Yup... Blind. Go to Maxtor.com and download the tools. You will most likely
have to mount the drive on an internal IDE cable for testing though.

Old May 15th 05, 07:55 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:37:32 +0100 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants Rich

wrote:

It`s always worth D\loading the drive makers test tools to run on a drive to
test its integrity. What OS ?. ..J

Done a google but can't seem to see any Maxtor test tools, unless I'm
blind that it.

http://tinyurl.com/5hksx

or for a burnable bootable CD ISO,
http://tinyurl.com/3t2yk

Next stop the opticiansgrin

Using XP 64 bit at the moment, although so have standard XP on my
laptop and Windows 2000 on my fileserver.

Thanks.

Rich

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Old May 15th 05, 08:06 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:00:55 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants "old jon"
wrote :

There you are Rich. Shep`s come up with the goods for you. Keep trying..J

I've found Powermax to be an invaluable tool in my PC diagnostic kit
on any make of drive

I keep meaning to add it to my own Win98 bootable ISO,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/bootd.zip
but I keep it on a cd anyway and my ISO contains Cdrom support so I
haven't bothered.

"Rich" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

I was given a external harddrive case a few months ago and popped in a
250 Gb harddrive. I'm now getting IO errors on it.

Before I bin it I want to try and fdisk / format and hopefully get a
few more months out of it.

The problem is that non of my motherboards support HD as big as 250.
Any way I can fdisk and format it from within windows? Normally I
would just drop into DOS and run fdisk.exe and format.exe

Thanks.

Rich

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

External DVD Writer Buck Turgidson General 0 September 28th 03 12:34 PM
Hangup an external modem terry General 2 September 5th 03 01:31 AM
cleaning out harddrive Dwayne Epps General 3 August 25th 03 11:29 PM
salvaging data from harddrive Campbellbrian General 1 August 11th 03 07:13 PM
Cannot find Firewire connection for external Harddrive Karl General 0 July 27th 03 11:42 PM